Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOH-MEL-ADL Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Yes you do have to leave the aircraft. This is mainly because crews changeover following conclusion of the shuttle. Experience will literally mirror what I’ve written above, however with a few added advantages:
+ Lounges will be open for those eligible
+ The transit time is significantly less compared to the other direction
Thank you.

Spike
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:25 pm

Yes you do have to leave the aircraft. This is mainly because crews changeover following conclusion of the shuttle. Experience will literally mirror what I’ve written above, however with a few added advantages:
+ Lounges will be open for those eligible
+ The transit time is significantly less compared to the other direction
There should also be no need to reclear security.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So for anyone interested (especially EmeraldLady ), here’s an update having just flown the service:
1. Boarding pass is issued as a single DOH - ADL
2. Once you’ve arrived in MEL, there will be a person holding a sign for ADL passengers. They will guide you to go through the international transit channel. There is a security check.
<snip>
Originally Posted by Top of climb
There should also be no need to reclear security.
In AU international departures and international arrivals are physically separated.
To go through the transit door international arrivals to international departures there is a security check.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:12 am

Any experiences so far with an Australian citizen, travelling hand luggage only, getting off QR988 at MEL on an award ticket? Award availability using Velocity is plentiful to ADL in QR988 but non-existent for MEL.

I note upthread that BP is issued single DOH-ADL but this shouldn't be an issue as no need for inbound Australian citizen to show itinerary to immigration.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by FormalHall
Any experiences so far with an Australian citizen, travelling hand luggage only, getting off QR988 at MEL on an award ticket? Award availability using Velocity is plentiful to ADL in QR988 but non-existent for MEL.

I note upthread that BP is issued single DOH-ADL but this shouldn't be an issue as no need for inbound Australian citizen to show itinerary to immigration.
Would love to know as well as I am doing this in October!
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by FormalHall

I know someone who has done it - no issues at all and they were not an Aussie citizen. They got a call from QR, presumably chasing as gate was closing, but they were fast asleep in a hotel room!
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Any more data points?

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Avíos redemption in J. Ideally I'd like to short check some bags but looks like that's a no go. If I'm traveling with hand luggage only, I'm assuming I can just ignore QR staff at MEL looking for ADL pax and head straight to immigration (non AU citizen but that shouldn't matter?).
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:55 am

Anyone know what would happen if you check bags to ADL and then exit at MEL? I would prefer to spend a few days in MEL and then would make my own way to ADL. I assume they would either offload my bags in MEL when I don’t board there ADL tag, or they would continue to ADL. Either way, I could just pick them up in MEL or in ADL a few days later. This is a one way award, so not worried about cancelled onward legs or repriced ticket.

Anything I’m missing here? Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by arnflyer
Anyone know what would happen if you check bags to ADL and then exit at MEL? I would prefer to spend a few days in MEL and then would make my own way to ADL. I assume they would either offload my bags in MEL when I don’t board there ADL tag, or they would continue to ADL. Either way, I could just pick them up in MEL or in ADL a few days later. This is a one way award, so not worried about cancelled onward legs or repriced ticket.

Anything I’m missing here? Thanks.
Personally, I think this isn't very cool. Your absence would become apparent only after all the pax had boarded. Then someone has to try and find you. Then someone has to make the decision to offload your bags. Then someone has to find your bags and offload them. The aircraft by this time will have missed its slot and will have to file a new flight plan. It will arrive in Doha at least an hour late and all the pax with tight European connections will miss their flights.

I think that's what you are missing...
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Grantosol
Personally, I think this isn't very cool. Your absence would become apparent only after all the pax had boarded. Then someone has to try and find you. Then someone has to make the decision to offload your bags. Then someone has to find your bags and offload them. The aircraft by this time will have missed its slot and will have to file a new flight plan. It will arrive in Doha at least an hour late and all the pax with tight European connections will miss their flights.

I think that's what you are missing...
Really? All that from one pulled bag on the almost empty MEL-ADL sector? There are very few pax on that leg anyway, so I wouldn’t think it would be a big deal at all….
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by arnflyer
Really? All that from one pulled bag on the almost empty MEL-ADL sector? There are very few pax on that leg anyway, so I wouldn’t think it would be a big deal at all….
Although the above reply was maybe over the top, the fact that you are more than happy to let your bag get to the point of being loaded onto the flight or actually loaded, then workers will have to the go looking for your bag to offload it whilst others are looking for you all so you can have your award flight and a checked bag.
If you were doing this with carry on only I say go for it.
That you don't care at the amount of work you're creating for others because you want to check a bag is just plain selfish to be honest.
But hey, this is the world we live in now I guess.
NoizeBoy and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: Eurobonus
I'm flying the QR 988 flight next week on an AA business award (starting in Stockholm).

I was hoping to hear if anyone with a ticketed arrival in Adelaide has managed to convince the Qatar ground staff to allow them to check the luggage and end the trip in Melbourne?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lunne
I'm flying the QR 988 flight next week on an AA business award (starting in Stockholm).

I was hoping to hear if anyone with a ticketed arrival in Adelaide has managed to convince the Qatar ground staff to allow them to check the luggage and end the trip in Melbourne?

Thanks
No chance.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In AU international departures and international arrivals are physically separated.
To go through the transit door international arrivals to international departures there is a security check.
ADL-MEL-DOH is not an international transit in MEL. ADL pax exit directly into secure international airside while in transit to DOH, therefore no security check (as they have already been screened to Australian standards in ADL). Same process as when QR used to run CBR-SYD-DOH, CBR originating pax exited aircraft directly into airside departures level at SYD.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
No chance.
What about the probability of getting Qatar to either cancel the MEL-ADL leg once booked, or allowing it after a couple of days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.