Wiki Posts
Search

DOH-MEL-ADL Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2022, 5:12 am
Original Poster

DOH-MEL-ADL Service

Hi all,

Booked onto the DOH-ADL service which has a horrible 6 hours 15 mins stop in Melbourne literally overnight from 11.20pm to 5.35am.

I was wondering what the protocol/procedure is for passengers travelling all the way to ADL? I understand that one has to disembark the aircraft at MEL (tbf, QR does mention this in the booking engine), but are you expected to stay airside and endure that horrible wait within MEL?
Is immigration/customs handled in MEL? Given that tickets are sold exclusively for the MEL-ADL sector, is it the case that passengers travelling onwards are expected to stay airside then clear the border in ADL?

I can't be bothered calling QR as I know this will yield information as useful as the info my anxious infrequent flying neighbour can give me!

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate
Old Nov 28, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A recent thread on AFF on this topic-->https://www.australianfrequentflyer....irport.107234/
Unfortunately the OP has not gone back to the thread
Would expect you clear immigration, customs & bio-security in ADL
Before CV19 were other some other international airlines with a "domestic" trip, usually MEL-SYD. For a while QR did SYD-CBR. But on the same day.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this, I’ll keep an eye out on that thread. I just called Melbourne Airport myself and they confirmed my horrors that passengers travelling onwards to ADL are kept within the international transit area and can’t leave the airport. I mean I guess I’m glad it’s only 6 hours wait and not 11 hours like it has been. Either way, will keep an eye out and see what’s what.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:41 am

Any chance of moving onto the DOH-ADL-AKL flight?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Any chance of moving onto the DOH-ADL-AKL flight?
Sadly not, it’s an award flight and there’s no availability elsewhere otherwise I would have done.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Thanks for this, I’ll keep an eye out on that thread. I just called Melbourne Airport myself and they confirmed my horrors that passengers travelling onwards to ADL are kept within the international transit area and can’t leave the airport.
To be fair, it's not a bad place to be stuck in. Of course, leaving the airport is MUCH better and there is no comparison, but MEL is okay. Maybe look into [paid] lounge access; after a long flight you can have a shower and relax a bit.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
To be fair, it's not a bad place to be stuck in. Of course, leaving the airport is MUCH better and there is no comparison, but MEL is okay. Maybe look into [paid] lounge access; after a long flight you can have a shower and relax a bit.
Sadly it looks like both QF International F and J lounges will be closed as is Marhaba and Amex Centurion (well it should be reopened and called Centurion by then), it's just a horrible time to be landing into MEL. So literally looks like it'll be trying to sleep across some benches for a bit! Depressing thought but trying to look at the upside that it's the only inconvenient part of the whole trip!

Ideas appreciated if anyone has good awareness of MEL airport.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Sadly it looks like both QF International F and J lounges will be closed as is Marhaba and Amex Centurion (well it should be reopened and called Centurion by then), it's just a horrible time to be landing into MEL. So literally looks like it'll be trying to sleep across some benches for a bit! Depressing thought but trying to look at the upside that it's the only inconvenient part of the whole trip!

Ideas appreciated if anyone has good awareness of MEL airport.

Please do report back as to your experience - I've just booked this for late January without really checking why DOH MEL ADL was available on BA Avios rewards, but not the DOH MEL section. And it showed a roughly 4 hour stop but I now see that it's more likely to be 6 hours. Having looked at the airport website, there doesn't even seem to be a coffee shop open before 06.00

Oh well, for 70,000 Avios and EUR 120.43, I really shouldn't complain - particularly if I get to fly on the promised Q Suite !
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

offish topic
Originally Posted by EmeraldLady
Please do report back as to your experience - I've just booked this for late January without really checking why DOH MEL ADL was available on BA Avios rewards, but not the DOH MEL section. And it showed a roughly 4 hour stop but I now see that it's more likely to be 6 hours. Having looked at the airport website, there doesn't even seem to be a coffee shop open before 06.00

Oh well, for 70,000 Avios and EUR 120.43, I really shouldn't complain - particularly if I get to fly on the promised Q Suite !
From OW web site https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=MEL
QR use Marhaba Lounge open 04:00-02:00 in T2 (so closed 02:00 to 04:00)
Flying business class should get access.
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...rport/Shop-eat T2 after security
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...formation/Maps
EmeraldLady and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
offish topic

From OW web site https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=MEL
QR use Marhaba Lounge open 04:00-02:00 in T2 (so closed 02:00 to 04:00)
Flying business class should get access.
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...rport/Shop-eat T2 after security
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...formation/Maps
Yea I saw that too, but unfortunately, I called Marhaba MEL Lounge directly and they advised that they close at 00:00 and reopen at 05:00. So yea, sadly looking a little bit hopeless but it's just 6 hours out of hopefully what should be a great holiday otherwise!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmeraldLady

Lol funny that, I'm travelling late Jan also, so we might be experiencing it at the same time anyway! Like you, no availability for just DOH - MEL...
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Update

So for anyone interested (especially EmeraldLady ), here’s an update having just flown the service:

1. Boarding pass is issued as a single DOH - ADL
2. Once you’ve arrived in MEL, there will be a person holding a sign for ADL passengers. They will guide you to go through the international transit channel. There is a security check.
3. After this you will be deposited back into the International Departures area (airside)

Things to note:
- You cannot leave MEL airport. You must stay in the international transit area
- You clear Australian immigration and customs at ADL. Your checked bags will also arrive there
- MEL has a great selection of lounges - QF F, QF J, Amex Centurion, Marhaba and Plaza Premium BUT they are all closed during the hours of QR’s landing into MEL at 23:20 and the departure at 05:35 the following morning
- There are toilets and showers (own towel needed) at MEL as well as drinking water stations. Limited shops are open. There are vending machines available for snacks and soft drinks
- You can sprawl across a bench and try to sleep, it is reasonably comfortable
- QR being QR There is a small breakfast platter service offered in the MEL - ADL shuttle also if travelling J and a pie or sandwich if travelling Y

It isn’t actually that painful, time passed by quite quickly with a mixture of sleep, toilet break, walking around terminal and watching things on devices.

If the fare is cheaper than direct ADL service or if award availability is only showing for the DOH-ADL (via MEL) but not for direct services, I would say it’s still worth it as QR’s exceptional onboard product/service will make up for it. It’s not completely dreadful experience by any means!

Hope this helps

Last edited by AirbusA350; Jan 26, 2023 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Has anyone done the ADL-MEL leg?
I'm on it in March and was wondering if you have to leave the aircraft in MEL.

Spike
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Funky Spike
Has anyone done the ADL-MEL leg?
I'm on it in March and was wondering if you have to leave the aircraft in MEL.

Spike
Yes you do have to leave the aircraft. This is mainly because crews changeover following conclusion of the shuttle. Experience will literally mirror what I’ve written above, however with a few added advantages:
+ Lounges will be open for those eligible
+ The transit time is significantly less compared to the other direction
Funky Spike likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.