Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Question about 24.5 hr transit through Doha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Hey all, I'm looking at booking a trip to visit my GF's parents in the Philippines in mid Feb. I've got the flights all picked out, and I will be flying from LAX to MNL with a 24.5 hour connection in DOH. I am booking these tickets using the "multi-city" function and I just had a couple questions about how this process will work.

With the connection time technically being longer than 24 hours, will I need a transit visa or anything like that? I don't mind staying airside for the whole layover but I also wouldn't mind spending some time checking out the city while I'm there. All legs of the trip are in biz so I'm hoping that at the very least I'll be able to arrange a stay at the Oryx airport hotel with Qatar customer service.

Also, since it's a longer layover, will I be able to check my bag all the way from LAX to MNL? or should I just bring a carry-on to avoid the headache at the airport?

My current itinerary is:
Feb 05 LAX to DOH, arriving in DOH at 5:30pm on Feb 06
Feb 07 @ 6:00pm DOH to MNL

If anyone has any insight into how these long layovers at Doha work, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
You don't need a transit visa if you stay in the airport airside. There are hotel options as well (e.g. Oryx).
The other option is to get a hotel in Doha; you can arrange it via Qatar holidays (check out the Qatar stopover link on the main page.) You need to apply for a travel authorisation; it's best to check the info on the QR website and get it first hand.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
I would be careful and check that you have all documents which are required to enter Qatar. I believe QR might not check your baggage through as the layover/stop-over is longer than 24 hours. In my experiences QR is extremally strict to check through baggage if layover is shorter than 24 hours but in one case I flew Europe-DOH-BKK with a layover longer than 24 hours in DOH and QR forced me to retrieve the baggage. I was a bit reluctant as I had wine in my baggage and Qatar restrict to import / bring alcohol into the country. In the end I flagged it to a Customs staff and they stored my luggage (with wine) until I departed Qatar again. No drama or issue. However I needed all the travel documents to enter Qatar. So better ensure you have all documents to enter as Check-in staff in the LAX might request it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.