Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Avios Award Booking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Basanez
It took 2-3 days after this call for the avios and taxes to be re-deposited/refunded. The whole process took about 2 weeks, maybe a bit more.
Same here, no email notification but notice avios refund and credit card refund on my own. Same with you, 2ish week. Now I'll be little careful with booking QR avios for future trip to avoid hassles.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Same here, no email notification but notice avios refund and credit card refund on my own. Same with you, 2ish week. Now I'll be little careful with booking QR avios for future trip to avoid hassles.
Cool, I'll keep an eye out. Two bookings, both successfully cancelled two days ago after trying to cancel online, then chatting and calling several times. Good to have an idea of what to look for, I will assume that some time in the next week to 10 days I ought to have the miles back, will chase them if nothing by the middle of next week.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:05 am

Five days later and I've received the Avios refund for the first of the two bookings. Still waiting on the credit card refund for the first (I assume it will hit in a day or two), and the second is cancelled but not yet refunded at all.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:57 pm

I just went through the process of cancelling by filling out the online contact form on Friday, 8/12, then immediately calling Privilege Club customer service number in Qatar to confirm (after being unable to confirm cancellation with the US number). I also added that I would like to expedite the refund of Avios if possible, to which they offered to reach out to the appropriate department via email to request my cancellation be expedited. On Monday morning (8/15), I got a response from the online team requesting to confirm cancellation, and inform me of the $25 change fee that would be deducted from my refund of taxes & fees, to which I immediately responded with my consent. Well I just received another notification this morning, 8/16 that the Avios were refunded, but my taxes/fees would take 14-28 days. Overall it took 4 days and $17.50 worth of Skype international credit to call the Qatari Privilege Club line, but I'd say for the quick turn around it was worth it! Thank you all for your data points and advice.

Now my problem is trying to book the a redemption flight with Privilege Club that shows up as available on BA's website but not QR's. Even Expert Flyer is showing the space (and a completely empty business cabin), but for some reason it doesn't show up on QR's website or for the customer service reps when I try calling Privilege Club. Not sure how to proceed with booking via PC, which comes out to about 20K Avios less pp than going through BA.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by md125
Five days later and I've received the Avios refund for the first of the two bookings. Still waiting on the credit card refund for the first (I assume it will hit in a day or two), and the second is cancelled but not yet refunded at all.
A day later the second booking's Avios came back, and today, four days after that, the fees (less the $25 refund penalty) were refunded to my credit card. 16 days all in, with lots of chats, emails and a few calls. Way more effort than it should have taken, but less bad than I feared.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:20 pm

I am trying to cancel the Qatar ticket which I used Cash+avios. The "cancel web page" says that I will be refunded the full price with no reference to avios I used. The trip ends in Sep so these tickets are changeable and cancellable, hence no penalty fees.

Then I looked up the Terms & conditions on Avios & cash page (under Privilege Club/Discover), and it says Avios used is not refundable. Here, in this forum, I see that you have to pay $25 to get back the avios. I am confused.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by rrnet
I am trying to cancel the Qatar ticket which I used Cash+avios. The "cancel web page" says that I will be refunded the full price with no reference to avios I used. The trip ends in Sep so these tickets are changeable and cancellable, hence no penalty fees.

Then I looked up the Terms & conditions on Avios & cash page (under Privilege Club/Discover), and it says Avios used is not refundable. Here, in this forum, I see that you have to pay $25 to get back the avios. I am confused.

Any thoughts?
They have outdated information on several different "help" pages between the airline pages themselves and their "zendesk" help site.

The easiest way to tell the actual rules is to check at the time of booking, but I think this is the case for all award bookings. See attached screenshot for policy (in this case, a $25 fee applies to cancellations more than 24 hours after booking less than 24 hours before the flight).

Word of warning - cancelling through the web page apparently simply sends a cancellation request that is then ignored. You will have to call or send a message to the Privilege Club people to actually cancel. You may have to do this multiple times. But you will get back all your Avios within a few days and then a full refund of taxes and fees minus $25.

Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alexsmichaels
I just went through the process of cancelling by filling out the online contact form on Friday, 8/12, then immediately calling Privilege Club customer service number in Qatar to confirm (after being unable to confirm cancellation with the US number). I also added that I would like to expedite the refund of Avios if possible, to which they offered to reach out to the appropriate department via email to request my cancellation be expedited. On Monday morning (8/15), I got a response from the online team requesting to confirm cancellation, and inform me of the $25 change fee that would be deducted from my refund of taxes & fees, to which I immediately responded with my consent. Well I just received another notification this morning, 8/16 that the Avios were refunded, but my taxes/fees would take 14-28 days. Overall it took 4 days and $17.50 worth of Skype international credit to call the Qatari Privilege Club line, but I'd say for the quick turn around it was worth it! Thank you all for your data points and advice.

Now my problem is trying to book the a redemption flight with Privilege Club that shows up as available on BA's website but not QR's. Even Expert Flyer is showing the space (and a completely empty business cabin), but for some reason it doesn't show up on QR's website or for the customer service reps when I try calling Privilege Club. Not sure how to proceed with booking via PC, which comes out to about 20K Avios less pp than going through BA.
You should of called the US Qatar Airways number as it is free to call using SKYPE.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:53 pm
wkc

Qatar is not allowing me to change my redemption class from economy to biz without cancelling my booking entirely, which incurs 25 USD fee + 105 USD redemption fee.

A "booking change" is only defined as a schedule change from their rules.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by wkc
Qatar is not allowing me to change my redemption class from economy to biz without cancelling my booking entirely, which incurs 25 USD fee + 105 USD redemption fee.

HUCA - you often have to push quite hard with their agents
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by wkc

Were you able to make the change? I am in a similar situation, but wanting to change from J to F cabin
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:13 pm
wkc

Nope, I tried to go through a few agents to push my change forward but ultimately gave up.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:59 am

I tried today to make a simple change of date to my Qatar Airlines Business Class Award redemption. I show online that there is out of know-where an additional redemption fee of $70 per business class segment per passenger, but no $25 change fee per passenger. After calling the US privilege club number multiple times, I have received no real help, so I attempted to make the change online. Webpage errored out. And I did not receive any email communication. But I was still charged the $70 in redemption fees.

Do I just need to wait for this change to be reflected online? Or do I need to call a Qatar Privilege club center to get this change done correctly? Did I have to pay the $70 redemption fee?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hockeyace50
I tried today to make a simple change of date to my Qatar Airlines Business Class Award redemption. I show online that there is out of know-where an additional redemption fee of $70 per business class segment per passenger, but no $25 change fee per passenger. After calling the US privilege club number multiple times, I have received no real help, so I attempted to make the change online. Webpage errored out. And I did not receive any email communication. But I was still charged the $70 in redemption fees.

Do I just need to wait for this change to be reflected online? Or do I need to call a Qatar Privilege club center to get this change done correctly? Did I have to pay the $70 redemption fee?
Very interesting also for me, does anyone has an update; will the 70$ redemption fee be refunded too if I cancel?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I am unable to make any change online even though when trying a new redemption booking, the flights I wanted are available … anyone encountered the same? It‘s just a date change, no routing and no class of service change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.