Wiki Posts
Search

The Doha Oryx Airport Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
The Doha Oryx Airport Hotel

I am looking at flying to Clark Field (CRK) with QR (from AMM) with the lovely lady and son. They have one flight a day that leaves 02:05am and arrives late afternoon. I am keen to engineer a situation whereby we would effectively wake up, eat, get the plane, watch movies for most of the time and then arrive awake for an onward journey so that when we get home, our bodies should be feeling that it's time to go to sleep (which it would be). It's quite hard to do when chasing the sun on our Eastwards travel.

The best itinerary I see departs AMM just after midnight, arrives in Doha about 4am, and then leaves again at 2am the following day. I am looking at the Oryx Airport Hotel, and would prefer a midnight checkout to that end. Does anyone have experience with late checkouts/early check in's? Would facilities be open to guests even if the room isn't ready?

Is the transit hotel something QR would offer if travelling business class?

I really appreciate any ideas you have .
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The hotel is well versed in weird and wonderful check in and check out times. Probably worth asking if an hourly rate or two night stay would be best. QR won't give you a free hotel.

That hotel is always full so whatever you do book early!

Last edited by Schwann; Jul 4, 2022 at 1:42 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
To be clear, this hotel charges by the hour (or 4 hour chunks) and is designed for shorter 8-12 hour transits, so 22 hours could be very expensive. There aren't really facilities except for the room, breakfast, and a gym too - but the pool bans under 5 year olds, which may be a problem for you in terms of children's entertainment. You can email and get a quote, and current rules for usage/facilities/COVID closures.

In my opinion, with 22 hours you are best to go to a city hotel, and it will likely be cheaper to have one of those for two nights (or with a very early & late paid check-in/out) rather than spending 22 hours in the airport, which unless you are about to sleep for 20 hours or so. Note, I appreciate with a little kid this may seem less attractive, as you'd have to spend ~30 minutes in a taxi each way and perhaps (COVID restrictions dependent) do a PCR test to get into Qatar. However, the rooms and hotel are very much for a transit - it is basically a corridor and a comfortable room, my own kid would be very bored there - the Qatar lounges do have family rooms and play areas for children though, but not enough for 10+ hours of awake time.

If in your scenario I would likely do say: 1) Of course business class, as the lounge/experience on Qatar is excellent, 2a) Head into town and sleep (let's say you'd sleep about 5.30-6am), wake up for lunch, spend time by the pool at a hotel. 2b) Or if you wanted to "wake up" just before your flight, get to the hotel, have a nice breakfast, chill by the pool, wander around the souk/Islamic art museum, then sleep around lunchtime for 8 hours. In either scenario, arrange a late check-out to say 8pm, have dinner and then get to to the airport around 10-11pm for ~2 hours in the Qatar lounge before the flight.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
To be clear, this hotel charges by the hour (or 4 hour chunks) and is designed for shorter 8-12 hour transits, so 22 hours could be very expensive.
I booked a proper nightly stay with Orbitz (had spare $100 Orbucks I wanted to get rid of). It was nearly $300 but it was 2pm to 12pm next day stay. I was travelling with with a 2yo so it made sense for me.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Originally Posted by littlevoices
To be clear, this hotel charges by the hour (or 4 hour chunks) and is designed for shorter 8-12 hour transits, so 22 hours could be very expensive. There aren't really facilities except for the room, breakfast, and a gym too - but the pool bans under 5 year olds, which may be a problem for you in terms of children's entertainment. You can email and get a quote, and current rules for usage/facilities/COVID closures.

In my opinion, with 22 hours you are best to go to a city hotel, and it will likely be cheaper to have one of those for two nights (or with a very early & late paid check-in/out) rather than spending 22 hours in the airport, which unless you are about to sleep for 20 hours or so. Note, I appreciate with a little kid this may seem less attractive, as you'd have to spend ~30 minutes in a taxi each way and perhaps (COVID restrictions dependent) do a PCR test to get into Qatar. However, the rooms and hotel are very much for a transit - it is basically a corridor and a comfortable room, my own kid would be very bored there - the Qatar lounges do have family rooms and play areas for children though, but not enough for 10+ hours of awake time.

If in your scenario I would likely do say: 1) Of course business class, as the lounge/experience on Qatar is excellent, 2a) Head into town and sleep (let's say you'd sleep about 5.30-6am), wake up for lunch, spend time by the pool at a hotel. 2b) Or if you wanted to "wake up" just before your flight, get to the hotel, have a nice breakfast, chill by the pool, wander around the souk/Islamic art museum, then sleep around lunchtime for 8 hours. In either scenario, arrange a late check-out to say 8pm, have dinner and then get to to the airport around 10-11pm for ~2 hours in the Qatar lounge before the flight.
I recently sent an e-mail to the hotel in regards to the hourly packages. I received the following reply: “Hourly rates are no longer available.Full night rates will apply.”

As well I tried to clarify regarding flexible check-in times. Here the reply:
Hotel standard check-in time is at 14:00hrs and check-out at 12:00nn. However we can be flexible on this timings as per availability. rest assured we will arrange the room in our utmost level.

Unfortunately we cannot give a 100% guarantee for the early check-in but we always give priority to early arrivals and we also do our level best to get the rooms available.”

I wrote as well to some of the airport hotels close to the airport (Hyatt Regency Oryx, Steigenberger, Crown Plaza Business Park). Either they don’t offer hourly rates or flexible check-in times or didn’t response.

i booked 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Business Park (Arrival 4 AM and Departure 01 AM). It seems no other choice for guaranteed early and guaranteed late check-out). I found it quite odd that those airport hotels don’t offer flexible/hourly packages.
littlevoices and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Yenakad
I recently sent an e-mail to the hotel in regards to the hourly packages. I received the following reply: “Hourly rates are no longer available.Full night rates will apply.”

As well I tried to clarify regarding flexible check-in times. Here the reply:
Hotel standard check-in time is at 14:00hrs and check-out at 12:00nn. However we can be flexible on this timings as per availability. rest assured we will arrange the room in our utmost level.

Unfortunately we cannot give a 100% guarantee for the early check-in but we always give priority to early arrivals and we also do our level best to get the rooms available.”
I got the same several times, and when insisted the hourly rates are available, they sent them to me. This time, I have emailed them my flight details 3 times, and zero response from them. They are like QR ground service - pathetic to deal with.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I had a similar issue on a previous trip some months back. I needed an overnight, but they wouldn't do anything beyond reiterate their checkin hours.
Having a terminal hotel that can't accomodate that their biggest airline has arrivals and departures all around the clock make very little sense.

-A
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Sorry for my confusion and wrong messaging then, the last time I needed to do this they offered hourly rates (admittedly this was in 2020). It doesn't seem to be an ideal scenario, but I still think you're better off with the hotel outside of the airport.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:06 am
R2

I stayed here a few days ago and the guy at the front desk mentioned that a new airside hotel was ready now and will have a soft opening next week.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by R2
I stayed here a few days ago and the guy at the front desk mentioned that a new airside hotel was ready now and will have a soft opening next week.
that's wonderful news. I am also travelling around Jul 13-15 with family (2 Adults, 2 Kids) and will have around 7 hrs layover. ( midnight to morning) Oryx seems to be totally booked.
Do you know where can I find more information about the new airside hotel ?

TIA
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:31 pm
R2

I was in a hurry and didn't have time to discuss it more. Also this was just the talkative front desk agent so not sure about the reliability of this information. Maybe QR will announce it on Twitter when it's open.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by evoori
that's wonderful news. I am also travelling around Jul 13-15 with family (2 Adults, 2 Kids) and will have around 7 hrs layover. ( midnight to morning) Oryx seems to be totally booked.
Do you know where can I find more information about the new airside hotel ?

TIA
Totally booked doesn't really mean totally booked. Web site was showing full but when I emailed they found me a room.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Looks like the new Oryx Garden Hotel has opened: https://dohahamadairport.com/press-r...second-airport
mlqsko and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Does anyone know how to book the new Oryx Garden Hotel? I can't find any reservation link for it.

I have a 13 hour layover on November 8th and the main Oryx hotel are not allowing booking in November or December (not sure why as it can't really be used by World Cup visitors with it being a transit hotel).
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:31 pm

Do they provide a crib for infants?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.