Wiki Posts
Search

Resumption of Full Inflight Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just had QR41 (DOH-CDG 01;20-07-15).
They changed the usual breakfast to a "Tasting menu" plus "Late night dining" plus "Light continental breakfast".
A very nice change.
Leadership likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Just did HKG-DOH and DOH-ORD, seems like the full pre pandemic service is back (not that it was that much reduced when I flew the same route back in June last year); but certainly very nice compared to my HK-YVR an vv. on Air Canada in Jan this year...
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Just did HKG-DOH and DOH-ORD, seems like the full pre pandemic service is back (not that it was that much reduced when I flew the same route back in June last year); but certainly very nice compared to my HK-YVR an vv. on Air Canada in Jan this year...
Do you mean non-preplated and served course by course?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
Do you mean non-preplated and served course by course?
Unfortunately, I can confirm that it is "enhanced" covid service.
Still reheated main dish (poor). Still awful bread in plastic.

But soup, first dish and main dish served separately, which is good.

What displeased me is the continuous downgrade in red wines. They always had a top red Bordeaux and white Burgundy, plus some lesser-quality wines
A few years back QR had Lynch Bages in J (usually served in F on good airlines).
In the past couple of years they had Chateau La Marzelle, and excellent wine from Saint Emilion well ranked and good vintage.
They just switch to Chateau Phelan Segur 2013. A non ranked cru of an awful vintage year. La Marzelle is still served in the lounge.
The white Burgundy is a mere Chablis 1er cru.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Unfortunately, I can confirm that it is "enhanced" covid service.
Still reheated main dish (poor). Still awful bread in plastic.

But soup, first dish and main dish served separately, which is good.

What displeased me is the continuous downgrade in red wines. They always had a top red Bordeaux and white Burgundy, plus some lesser-quality wines
A few years back QR had Lynch Bages in J (usually served in F on good airlines).
In the past couple of years they had Chateau La Marzelle, and excellent wine from Saint Emilion well ranked and good vintage.
They just switch to Chateau Phelan Segur 2013. A non ranked cru of an awful vintage year. La Marzelle is still served in the lounge.
The white Burgundy is a mere Chablis 1er cru.
The 2013 Phélan Segur really is awful! I sent it back on my last flight. The purser came to my seat a few moments later to tell me she’d love to get my feedback of the wine after my meal was finished, but she never came back. I found the champagne (both brut & rose) on all my previous flights to be very lacklustre as well.

I’ve only flown QR J a few times during the pandemic, bit I’m just as happy with the chicken biryani in Y as any dish I’ve had in J.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:38 pm

Honestly besides the bagged bread (note my Garlic bread was not served in plastic, and delivered to me unwrapped. I dont really notice/mind the single tray type service, I am usually pretty hungry by the time the food is ready (after a few glasses of bubbly) so almost prefer the give me all my food at once. Staff have been super attendant and responsive during meal times for refills, anything needed, cleaning away finished parts of the food, so overal still the best J food/service since the pandemic started.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Agreed with other posters. It's a hybrid service that comes delivered in multiple courses now (soup with the lid, salad, main and dessert all served individually), but all on the tray with bagged bread and plastic-covered dishes. Apparently, one FA has been removed from the crew, which is why the service is abysmally slow on full flights. It took three hours for my meal on SFO-DOH the other day and 1.5 hours on DOH-MLE. FAs are struggling to keep up and working hard without complaining (although many say it's really hard to do dining on demand with one less person up front).
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Here's the wine list I got given a few days ago.

tfizzle likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Another inter assign observation (and curious to know if others have had the same experience). Out of eight flights this past month, all service has been from male FAs. It’s less “doting” for sure and wondering if many female FAs took an out or were not willing to withstand the current changes. Maybe lifestyle changes prevented it. Not judging, just pointing out a trend I saw on a large subset of flights.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:11 pm

MAN-DOH

DOH-HKG
tfizzle and IamOmni like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Another inter assign observation (and curious to know if others have had the same experience). Out of eight flights this past month, all service has been from male FAs. It’s less “doting” for sure and wondering if many female FAs took an out or were not willing to withstand the current changes. Maybe lifestyle changes prevented it. Not judging, just pointing out a trend I saw on a large subset of flights.
My MAN-DOH as an all female J crew, while I got served by a male crew on DOH-HKG (the others were female).

It's the CSD who decides the position of the crew before each flight.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realgaga
My MAN-DOH as an all female J crew, while I got served by a male crew on DOH-HKG (the others were female).

I don’t think that’s right as I know CSD and people fly certain positions with regularity and consistency based on their training. Not on a whim, but maybe certain flights are different?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:53 am

I don’t think that’s right as I know CSD and people fly certain positions with regularity and consistency based on their training. Not on a whim, but maybe certain flights are different?
Many CSDs confirmed that it's their responsibility to assign positions (or the CS on a single aisle). A F2 will not be in the premium cabin as they don't have the proper training. There are crew who prefer to work in certain positions eg. galley manager.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga

I had something similar - had a mostly male crew hkg-doh, and mostly female on DOH-ORD.

Isnt HK Q fun?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:53 am

Out of our 4 flights this month, I recall 2 male FAs. The one from ZNZ to DOH was in training, so I wonder if it's a hiring trend? You are right about less "doting", but I've been spoiled with Qatar service to the point that I'm dreading my next 4 long-haul flights this summer on AA metal.
SkyTeam777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.