Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resumption of Full Inflight Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Atlantico
Thank you for the advise. I will fly next week and let you guys know.
Last time I flew was in NOV and it's OKish.... hope it improved more by now
How was your flight? Happen to take any photos of service at the moment? I'm flying ex-DOH to the US in 3 weeks so really curious about what I'll get.

Also did you see what champagne they're offering?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SEA737
How was your flight? Happen to take any photos of service at the moment? I'm flying ex-DOH to the US in 3 weeks so really curious about what I'll get.

Also did you see what champagne they're offering?
I think that the service level is still the same compared to last months.

I didn't fly DOH-USA in J since Nov 2020 and the champagne options at that time were
- Pommery Brut Royal
- Laurent-Perrier Curvée Rosé
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CALMSP
well, my deserts were cheesecake, but plated main course and a snack platter of two different hummus.
I think there might be some confusion here. While everything is on "plates" (they always were), it is still the same tray service rather than restaurant-dining experience. Tray with all the sides and starter, then main dish, then dessert (depending on what you order). The only real change seems to be more dessert options and soup is back.

I wonder if they will ever revert to the old, more first class way of doing things. It took more time and crew didn't love that service so this may be the perfect excuse to switch to the Emirates way of doing it (albeit without tacky carts, of course).
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I think there might be some confusion here. While everything is on "plates" (they always were), it is still the same tray service rather than restaurant-dining experience. Tray with all the sides and starter, then main dish, then dessert (depending on what you order). The only real change seems to be more dessert options and soup is back.

I wonder if they will ever revert to the old, more first class way of doing things. It took more time and crew didn't love that service so this may be the perfect excuse to switch to the Emirates way of doing it (albeit without tacky carts, of course).
Indeed, there is a huge difference with the pre-covid service.
Dishes are now prepared at the airport and simply reheated on board. This is now standard J food, like on many other airlines.
The quality is totally different from the F class preparation ("restaurant service") that took place in the galley pre-covid, with separate ingredients being heated separately and mixed by the crew. The only positive is the return of the hot soup. But I would rate the current QR J food, below the current AF J food.
As an example of current AF F food see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33150201-post334.html

It is disappointing that several airlines have returned to their top food service, but not QR.
GalaxyChris and fender5787 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Some photos from my two sectors DXB-DOH and DOH-SYD in March. I haven't flown QR in years (the last time was DOH-JFK in 2013 I think). There's not a lot of options to Australia these days. EK was full months on end so here we go. As someone who doesn't have any comparison data points, I find this quite good. I'm not sure if this up to normal pre-covid standards or not. Certainly better than EK and QF in my books.

The snack platter has made a reappearance on Gulf regional routes (DXB-DOH 3/7)

Rose champagne is Gosset (3/22 DOH-SYD)

"Hong Kong style" soup (3/22 DOH-SYD)

Lobster salad - this is very good (3/22 DOH-SYD)

Duck confit (3/22 DOH-SYD)

Some kind of pudding

Breakfast setup

This strange dish I think was meant to be Nasi Goreng but it's note quite right

I very much appreciated the afternoon tea
Carfield, fender5787 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I agree. The service element is still there and is THE BEST out there, but the dishes have been reduced in quality.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:21 am

Yes they’re still doing the covid dining

i hope they really do go to the multiple course, nicer plates and actual mini break basket dining.

this tray service and 3 breads together as 1 is inferior to the past times..
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
I believe QR is trying to make up for the reduced service by using more expensive ingredients eg. lobster, scallops etc.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
I believe QR is trying to make up for the reduced service by using more expensive ingredients eg. lobster, scallops etc.
The LAX-DOH leg despite being one of the longest flights at 16 hours doesn't offer either of those. The menu is extremely limited and they even got rid of Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch!

Why not take advantage of the pAnDeMiC? Every corporation is doing it, and surprisingly some people are defending them!
Old May 5, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Higherandhigher
It's interesting that you're defending QR for lowering their service quality.

And for your information, as a few others commented AF is indeed serving caviar and using fine china.

The sight of that tray is vomit inducing.
Hyperbole much?

Also, are you seriously asserting that AF is serving DoD caviar on fine china in business class? let's at least compare like with like. For example, below are AF J class reviews before covid and during covid and what's that I see? (vomit inducing) trays! Also a plastic sauce ramekin.

1. https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/air...usiness-class/
2. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/revi...paris-toronto/

Now if you want to pay for F that's a whole different story
esquimau and NWplatinum like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
The LAX-DOH leg despite being one of the longest flights at 16 hours doesn't offer either of those. The menu is extremely limited and they even got rid of Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch!

Why not take advantage of the pAnDeMiC? Every corporation is doing it, and surprisingly some people are defending them!
Some menus suit some people more than others, and having eg. lobster is not a guarantee. This isn't first class.
Same with the booze selection, which changes to include new types. Everyone has their favourites.

If you don't like the QR onboard service, then change to another airline that you think will be better. Just keep in mind QR's reduced service is still better than pre-Covid service on some airlines.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by kq747
Hyperbole much?

Also, are you seriously asserting that AF is serving DoD caviar on fine china in business class? let's at least compare like with like. For example, below are AF J class reviews before covid and during covid and what's that I see? (vomit inducing) trays! Also a plastic sauce ramekin.

Ok. I didn't see any caviar in those photos. You are right. The photos other posted here must be first class. But all of that is beside the point. I'd like to compare QR to QR. QR had service level comparable to that in first. Now they're cutting corners in order to save money. Tell me how limiting menu items or replacing more expensive drinks with less expensive ones sAvEs LiVeS...

Every corporation is using this pAnDeMiC as an excuse to save money and lower service quality and unfortunately most people are letting them get away with it.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by kq747
Hyperbole much?

By the way, I have always paid ~$5,000 for LAX-DOH-X on QR. Emirates F used to be around $25,000 for my route. They've slashed the price down to just over $10,000! I will definitely go with Emirates F next time if QR continues to take advantage of the PaNdEmIc.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't want to be rude but I don't think we could call a reasonable COVID measure ( plating meals in a catering facility rather than onboard ). I don't know any airline that is plating meals onboard in front of customers as they did pre-COVID. Like other airlines, they haven't eliminated pre-departure beverages, they haven't eliminated the majority of their drinks, they haven't reduced meal options to chicken or pasta in premium cabins. The only thing they did was to adjust the catering to current COVID standards.

I don't think EK food at the moment is better than what QR is offering.

I haven't flown DOH-USA in J since November, but you're at least right that there was no Johnny Walker Black Label at that time, at least there were other options like Glenfiddich, Chivas Regal or Woodford Reserve. ( Could not talk about the moment )

Unfortunately QR gives you a voucher for refund. But I'm taking the trip again in December. So Emirates F for $10,000 is absolutely worth it.
This is incorrect, you could get a full refund without an excuse on all QR tickets purchased up to 30 June 2021.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't want to be rude but I don't think we could call a reasonable COVID measure ( plating meals in a catering facility rather than onboard ). I don't know any airline that is plating meals onboard in front of customers as they did pre-COVID. Like other airlines, they haven't eliminated pre-departure beverages, they haven't eliminated the majority of their drinks, they haven't reduced meal options to chicken or pasta in premium cabins. The only thing they did was to adjust the catering to current COVID standards.

I don't think EK food at the moment is better than what QR is offering.

I haven't flown DOH-USA in J since November, but you're at least right that there was no Johnny Walker Black Label at that time, at least there were other options like Glenfiddich, Chivas Regal or Woodford Reserve. ( Could not talk about the moment )

This is incorrect, you could get a full refund without an excuse on all QR tickets purchased up to 30 June 2021.
Thanks for the photo. Do you have photos of the food page? Someone said they had lobster, but I haven't seen that on any menu.
Also, I can't find any information about refund other than voucher with additional 10% value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.