Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stu002
So I was due to fly the same route as this and had the same flight cancellation as you. I booked directly with Qatar and have requested a refund via the form and I did this the day they stated the change, which was 7 days ago, but have had no reply and my request is still showing as Open on their service page. In theory I am due to fly in 75 mins time but I am not in Amsterdam and I am not going. What I am not sure about it whether I will now be classed as a no show because I have had no response from Qatar?
It does say in the 1059 advisory above that no show fines will not be charged. Probably because of exactly your situation where they have a backlog of items to process.
stu002 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In this case, it does not matter as the passenger's flight has been cancelled. He has nothing to no show for.

This passenger's issue is -- if I read his post correctly -- that he voluntarily cancelled the ticket prior to QR cancelling the flight. Thus, he has a somewhat different issue dealw ith vis-a-vis refund.

For the broader audience, it is important not to voluntarily cancel until as late as possible. If the carrier cancels the flight, you may have to fight about a refund, but you should eventually prevail. More importantly, if the carrier cancels, it has not provided the service and thus, there should be a valid chargeback, if you have fully complied with the requirements for the jurisdiction in which your card was issued. These vary and thus a US bank card vs. French vs. Japan can matter.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In my case segment 3 of 4 has been cancelled without replacement but segment 1&2 are still intact but being moved around thru schedule changes. Thanks to 1059 being updated only today I just applied for a refund and I'm pretty certain it won't be resolved till segment 1 which is currently due to operate in 10 days. So the no-show waiver is perfect for me.

BTW, isn't most of QRs backoffice located in India? Is the BPO still operating even though the entire country was force fully shut down?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
oliver2002 in my case the agent said they would cancel my booking immediately and the refund would come
later. The PNR was immediately empty.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
oliver2002 in my case the agent said they would cancel my booking immediately and the refund would come
later. The PNR was immediately empty.
Same for me, booking immediately cancelled and cannot be accessed in MMB anymore. No voucher yet.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Just received by email a notification from Amex travel France. They have issued a refund of my 4 QR tickets, minus the 12 Euros booking fees. I should get my 6500 Euros back in a couple days hopefully. I called them on March. 19th to cancel the 4 business class tickets as 3/5 segments were cancelled by QR. So it took a bit more than a week to have it processed. I don't know if Amex travel was helpful or if this was due to my QR support contacts on twitter. I am relieved to be honest, and satisfied on the way QR dealt with this. Second time in a few months they have been respecting the EC rules following issues (although this time it was a bit bumpy). They have earned a loyal customer :-)
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Aston100
Thanks, is there some wording you can link me to that confirms this arrangement please?
found this reply in another thread. it's anecdotal, but shows that you can use the voucher for 2 years.

maybe you can message user DONEGAL if you have further concerns.

Originally Posted by Donegal
Voucher received:
Took QR 12 days to reply and everything is fine:

a) Voucher value is orginal ticket's amount plus 10%
b) EMD can be used against a new booking for 12 months and then travel has to take place maximum until the end of another 12 months

QR has sent me this additional message/email which indicates that if you want to use the voucher for travel to your original destination and the fare is higher at the time of making the new rservation they will override the booking class so that there is no additional payment. Remains to be seen if and how that works but sounds really fair and professional. Here is the text:Quote: "Dear Customer,

Thank you for requesting us to provide you with a travel voucher for your flight with us. First of all, we would like to apologize for the delay in getting this travel voucher to you.

We have issued travel voucher No(s). 157 XXXXXXX for the total value of QAR XXXX.00 comprising of the unutilized ticket you held with us. This also includes an additional amount of QAR XXX.00. You have up to one year to use the voucher, and can book your travel within a period for up to one further year after.

If you decide to rebook to your original travel destination, don’t worry about any difference in fare; we will try and book you with the same fare class. If you change your plans and decide you would like to travel somewhere else, you can use the same voucher for your new destination.

You can visit Qatar Airways - Book a flight and browse our flight offers or any of our offices to book your tickets. Our contact numbers and details are listed here.

We look forward to see you on board soon.

We are experiencing high call volumes due to COVID-19. If you are not intending to use the travel voucher in the next four days please consider calling us later.

Please note that this is a no reply message.

Regards,
Qatar Airways"
blackdog047 and Aston100 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
They haven't cancelled my flight but the flight isn't confirmed

Hi

I'd appreciate some advice as I'm trying to get to grips with what the current situation is. I am due to go to the Philippines in 4 days but there is currently a travel ban affecting people travelling from countries with outbreaks, which means I won't be permitted to enter. I had assumed that the flight would be cancelled so I could simply request a refund but that isn't what has happened to my itinerary. For the outward leg QR has:
1. labelled my original flight as "Not confirmed"
2. loaded another flight (different flight number) onto the itinerary, which departs 5 hours before my original flight and labelled that as "Not confirmed"
3. loaded an additional flight onto the itinerary which departs the following day (19 hours later) and labelled that as "confirmed".

​​​​​​For the return they have loaded two separate itineraries and tagged both as "partially confirmed" but the connecting flights from Doha depart 6 hours and 8 hours, respectively, before the flights from Manila land. Basically it's a huge mess.

I have no idea when these changes were made as they haven't emailed me and I am trying to figure out whether they have done this to avoid paying EC261 compensation and what my options are.

I think the latest guidance suggests that I can rebook without a fare difference using a voucher, I was concerned about the fare difference, but how long do we have to use that option? How successful have people been getting refunds? What is the situation with potential compensation - that is way down on my list of options but it would be good to understand since I have heard nothing from the airline?

Thanks
Bob

​​​​
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:11 pm

Does "a new booking" imply that the voucher value cannot be used for more than one booking? – That would make the voucher option worse for me than a refund under the current fare rules, given that the value would likely to be used for travel to destinations with a lower fare.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Does "a new booking" imply that the voucher value cannot be used for more than one booking? – That would make the voucher option worse for me than a refund under the current fare rules, given that the value would likely to be used for travel to destinations with a lower fare.
Forgive me if you've seen this since posting, but this post in another thread seems to answer your question:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32243267-post215.html
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Applied for my voucher this morning and had an email with a link to verify my email address which I did but there was no acknowledgement after doing that. I don't want to be in the situation of being a no-show on Friday so how can I check that it's been received and will be processed without waiting 12 days like the poster above?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Lussac
Applied for my voucher this morning and had an email with a link to verify my email address which I did but there was no acknowledgement after doing that. I don't want to be in the situation of being a no-show on Friday so how can I check that it's been received and will be processed without waiting 12 days like the poster above?
Lussac and Aston100 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Bobbex
Hi

I'd appreciate some advice as I'm trying to get to grips with what the current situation is. I am due to go to the Philippines in 4 days but there is currently a travel ban affecting people travelling from countries with outbreaks, which means I won't be permitted to enter. I had assumed that the flight would be cancelled so I could simply request a refund but that isn't what has happened to my itinerary. For the outward leg QR has:
1. labelled my original flight as "Not confirmed"
2. loaded another flight (different flight number) onto the itinerary, which departs 5 hours before my original flight and labelled that as "Not confirmed"
3. loaded an additional flight onto the itinerary which departs the following day (19 hours later) and labelled that as "confirmed".

​​​​​​For the return they have loaded two separate itineraries and tagged both as "partially confirmed" but the connecting flights from Doha depart 6 hours and 8 hours, respectively, before the flights from Manila land. Basically it's a huge mess.

I have no idea when these changes were made as they haven't emailed me and I am trying to figure out whether they have done this to avoid paying EC261 compensation and what my options are.

I think the latest guidance suggests that I can rebook without a fare difference using a voucher, I was concerned about the fare difference, but how long do we have to use that option? How successful have people been getting refunds? What is the situation with potential compensation - that is way down on my list of options but it would be good to understand since I have heard nothing from the airline?

Thanks
Bob

​​​​
Assuming the new flight is a different flight number, then that means your original flight has been cancelled so you're entitled to a full refund on the itinerary. How'd you go when you called them?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Hey guys, I have already received my voucher for a cancelled flight on the beginning of May, my question is how can I use my voucher to pay when booking a new flight online?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There will be an option to enter the voucher code when you get to the payments page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.