Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Old Mar 17, 20, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airlines silver member

Qatar now says the following on their website. Does it mean no full refund when flight is cancelled?

Service alterations

Passengers from all destinations served by Qatar Airways can still travel with the airline and transit through Hamad International Airport, subject to entry restrictions at their final destination.

However, because of the operational challenges faced due to Covid-19 (coronavirus) we have altered or cancelled some of our services.

If you are affected, you can re-book your ticket to alternative dates or destinations, or opt to receive a voucher for future travel, valid for one year from its issuance date. This policy applies to all tickets issued anytime until 30 June 2020, for travel on or before the same date.

If your flight is operating normally and you have booked or are planning to book tickets for travel up to 30 June 2020, but you wish to change your travel plans, you can alter your travel date free of charge, or exchange your ticket for a future travel voucher valid for one year, up to 3 days prior to departure. This includes award flights.

We encourage all passengers to see real-time Flight Status for the latest information. All passengers should ensure that their contact details are up to date on the 'Manage Booking' page so we can let you know directly if your flight is affected.
  • If you have booked your ticket though a travel agent, please contact your travel agent to amend your booking or exchange your ticket for a future travel voucher.
  • If you have booked your ticket on qatarairways.com or through any of our offices, you can re-book your tickets or exchange your ticket for a future travel voucher by telephoning any of our offices or contact centres.
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is poorly worded, likely by someone who is fixated on the policy, not the circumstances. But, I don't think that it says what you think it says and it certainly does not override the COC.

All this really says is that anyone may rebook or have a credit for rebooking, so long as they meet the date and travel parameters. This is the case even if one's ticketed flights operate as scheduled and one may legally travel to one's destination.

It does not suggest to me that if the flight is cancelled that one may only have the voucher in place of what was a refund in the past.
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
It might be poor wording. But not many airlines will have the cash to refund tickets and cover costs (staff, etc..) as we are in for a prolonged lockdown.
Alitalia is already being nationalize. The French government stated that they consider nationalizing Air France.
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:36 am
Original Poster

If I need to change, it would have to be in a school holiday. Hopefully they have space available then without having to pay more.

So much uncertainty for everyone.
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Full refund for cancellation is only applicable for passengers covered by regulations that stipulate it, the prime example being the EU261/04. Other jurisdictions don't require it, so QR will not really point that out....
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Full refund for cancellation is only applicable for passengers covered by regulations that stipulate it, the prime example being the EU261/04. Other jurisdictions don't require it, so QR will not really point that out....
Are you sure that's true? EU261/04 provides additional cover for compensation over and above a carriers standard CoC

Qatar's own Conditions of Carriage State: 2. Cancellation, Changes of Schedule etc.

2.1 If we cancel or delay a flight, are unable to provide previously confirmed space, fail to stop at a Passenger stopover or destination point, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a reservation, we shall either:

(i) Carry you on another of our scheduled Passenger services on which space is available; or

(ii) Re-route you to the destination indicated on the Ticket or applicable portion thereof by our own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess Baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the Ticket or applicable portion thereof, we will not require additional fare or charges from you and will refund the difference if the fare and charge for the revised routing are lower; or

(iii) Make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 and shall be under no further liability to you.
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Bali now has travel restrictions: Denied entry or transit to Indonesia for visitors/travelers who have travelled to the following countries, in the last 14 days:
  1. Iran
  2. Italy
  3. Vatican
  4. Spain
  5. France
  6. Germany
  7. Switzerland
  8. United Kingdom
Holland is not in the list, but might be added later. So if I just want to change my tickets to another date, let's say juli and then something happens (corona is still very active) will I be able to change again?

I don't know what's wise. Wait till the flight is cancelled and get a full refund or change the booking with a chance that it's still not under control and we won't be able to fly again.
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:00 am

OP - What is the specific routing on the ticket? What are its fare rules as respects refunds (absent the COC and Covid-19 policies)? These are the starting point to obtain a correct answer for you.
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:35 am
Original Poster

AMS-DOH-DPS and back

fare rules

fare rules
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:58 am

As this is a departure from the EU, your EC 261/2004 rebooking rights apply. If your flight is cancelled, you may elect a full refund in cash (equivalent, e.g. to your credit card).
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As this is a departure from the EU, your EC 261/2004 rebooking rights apply. If your flight is cancelled, you may elect a full refund in cash (equivalent, e.g. to your credit card).
Thank you so much for your help!
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Luckily any QR CoC and rules cannot override EC261/2004 article 8 protections. If you depart from the EU, you are safe.
tbm13 and fromHollandwithlove like this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Luckily any QR CoC and rules cannot override EC261/2004 article 8 protections. If you depart from the EU, you are safe.
Until the EU introduces relief legislation for airlines.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:15 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; BA Exec Club Silver
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Until the EU introduces relief legislation for airlines.
EU has just released interpretative guidelines for EU261 in COVID 19 times. There are no changes to the current understanding as above. If the flight is cancelled, you are entitled to full reimbursement. The guidelines make clear that a voucher is not considered as reimbursement. See point 3.2 on page three of this document, released today - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites.../c20201830.pdf
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:02 am

Hi All. An update from today on the phone to Qatar Air. I had J class booking from Paris to Hanoi for the end of the month return, fair rules when booked stated a fee of EURO 730 per person if cancelled. A few days before the EU closed the border Qatar web stated, Full refund or voucher to a list of countries all others could have a voucher or refund within the rules for the ticket purchased if you wish to cancel. Yesterday that changed to, change your dates or a voucher valid for 12 months but no mention of a refund. I am based in the UK and our government yesterday said do not travel at all. I spent an hour on the phone to Qatar, I was repeatedly told when I asked for a full refund NO you can re book or have a voucher that is your options. I stated that I did not want to be restricted to them for a future trip, and that it may be longer than 12 months before I wanted to travel so asked again for a full refund, answer NO. I then asked for a refund under the rules of my ticket, No you can only re book or have a voucher. During this conversation I got my booking up on line went to the cancel page, guess what I could cancel within the rules and receive a refund of the cost minus two lots of Euro 730. When I challenged the person on the phone with this, he spoke to a supervisor came back and said they would refund me within the rules of my ticket !!! They are clearly having trouble, perhaps trying to hold on to cash if they can at present. My warning to anybody trying for a refund is to state that you want it within the rules you accepted when you booked, that is a binding contract that can only be changed with the consent of both parties. If a voucher is not what you want but some money back go to your online booking and cancel that way, you get an instant email confirming everything, not Qatar trying to keep customers for the future and trying to send them in one direction only. Very very disappointed with there approach to this, shame on them...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: