Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 2:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that you waive all chargeback rights too when you change your ticket under policy 1059 v1.7.
So any money transferred to QR remains there. The only right you can claim via a DOT complaint is the right to refund if a flight in your itenary is cancelled.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I bought one last night but didn't call in yet. I wonder if they are making it retroactive. There's no R class on any flights now.
Now that they’ve reintroduced bookings, and brought back the discount fare classes, let us know if you can change it now and how the call goes please.

Originally Posted by anabolism
Yes, airlines have done this. As an example, some airlines that have and rigorously enforce a rule that frequent flyer miles and upgrade instruments cannot be sold, traded, or bartered that had reason to believe that a ticket was purchased or upgraded in violation of the rule, have allowed the passenger to fly the outbound, but met the passenger at the jetway of the inbound, interrogated them as to the source of the miles or instruments used, how they know the account holder, etc., and told them that the remainder of their ticket had been cancelled, and that if they wish to get back home they must buy a one-way walk-up ticket to do so. I haven't experienced it personally, but am aware of this occurring to multiple people flying multiple airlines.
Yeah, but the only times I’ve really heard of this being cracked down to the extent you’re discussing, and denying boarding is when people are really abusing the system and committing massive fraud like chargebacks. I have a friend whose head of AS MileagePlan fraud, and she relates stories about how all the airline personnel get together and make lists of serial offenders and have them taken off flights. But this is only for really really serious fraud. She’s told me about serial chargeback fraudsters who aren’t even allowed on board planes anymore lol... but the only time they actually deny someone boarding on day of the flight is serial abusers. I can’t remember hearing of a story about someone being denied boarding because they purchased from a mileage broker (though I am sure it’s happened).

The only airline who seems to be really vindictive, and I wouldn’t put it past them hurting someone for a little mileage abuse would be AA.

However this fare doesn’t really fall into a bucket of “serious fraud.” If they’re going to deny us boarding it will be known well ahead of schedule not out of the blue on the day of departure.

I won’t be surprised though if they do something that will involve many of us in the US having to band together and file complaints with the DOT. As someone above said, when an agreement is made between two parties (especially involving airline tickets) in the US, you cannot change the rules of that agreement to suit you. It doesn’t matter what you “think” the other parties intentions were. You made the agreement, and you must abide by it.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: AA
can we stop this argument about good faith bad faith thing, whether QR will take any actions etc, and just keep this forum on new information? It is really hard to find essential information among these unnecessary arguments filling most of the posts here. I don't see any ending point of this discussion between two sides because they won't change their thinking, so just stop instead of trying to win an argument. To me, it seems like the key is whether they will change the terms again in the future or take any actions. So wait until QR takes actions or changes the terms again, if not, we will save some space and arguments about what can be done when such an action is taken. To me, arguing based on the hypothetical situation is really counterproductive and waste of time and resource.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by sony2012
can we stop this argument about good faith bad faith thing, whether QR will take any actions etc, and just keep this forum on new information? It is really hard to find essential information among these unnecessary arguments filling most of the posts here. I don't see any ending point of this discussion between two sides because they won't change their thinking, so just stop instead of trying to win an argument. To me, it seems like the key is whether they will change the terms again in the future or take any actions. So wait until QR takes actions or changes the terms again, if not, we will save some space and arguments about what can be done when such an action is taken. To me, arguing based on the hypothetical situation is really counterproductive and waste of time and resource.
You’re right to an extent. The point of what I was trying to say was that just allowing people who booked out of the US that we do have rights and avenues for redress. But yes, the “whose right/bad faith” stuff is kind of moot as of now.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by hkgg
well it seems like QR has lowered some of their fares again now...
When and where? I still see 3k+ PHL/JFK-KBP
Old May 18, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Anyone risking booking one of the cheaper flights now and waiting the 14 days to call in?
Old May 18, 2020, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Ben21
Anyone risking booking one of the cheaper flights now and waiting the 14 days to call in?
Just for the record it seems people don’t even have to wait. All these reports of Agents appear to be changing without waiting 14 days. Also I don’t see any good fares anyway. Nobody was able to change Y tickets to J at the start of this, right?

What I’m more curious about is what is the perception around here regarding if these flights will actually go? Will we actually be able to fly to say BKK which seems to be a popular one by November or December?
Old May 18, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I don't understand this issue with Y-J. I have not seen reports of anyone doing this, and I cannot see why QR would allow it. I call BS.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Will we actually be able to fly to say BKK which seems to be a popular one by November or December?
I doubt anyone can tell now if we're going to be allowed to fly later in the year. It's going to depend on how the pandemic develops and how countries and airlines react. There's for sure a risk booking trips now and having to settle for a voucher later (and Qatar charging the fare difference for flights into 2021).
Old May 18, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Now that they’ve reintroduced bookings, and brought back the discount fare classes, let us know if you can change it now and how the call goes please.
Oh, I reported up thread I called in yesterday after finally figuring out how to call Qatar and they made a change for me, dates and origin/destination no questions asked. Call took less than 10 minutes. They rebooked me into I.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Ben21
I doubt anyone can tell now if we're going to be allowed to fly later in the year. It's going to depend on how the pandemic develops and how countries and airlines react. There's for sure a risk booking trips now and having to settle for a voucher later (and Qatar charging the fare difference for flights into 2021).
If there are travel restrictions doesn't that fall under the involuntary change section of the T&Cs and you can request a refund instead of just a voucher? Not sure when said refund will actually materialize...
Old May 18, 2020, 9:17 am

For US Based flyers still searching -- Best I could find is JFK-TBS via DOH in mid November (I'm sure other months still avail.) for $2046/2098. If I recall all of them correctly, US hubs that you can change to are BOS, JFK, PHL, IAD, ORD, ATL, MIA, IAH, DFW, LAX. Booking goals/destinations may vary, but Georgia is pretty central Eurasia to open up possibilities. May not be the ~$1600 fare you were hoping for, but might suit some flyer's needs. Good luck
Old May 18, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
I'm seeing HEL-PVG for 1,400€. Anyone seeing ex-EU fares any lower than that?

I think the PVG route has got Qsuites but not sure about HEL-DOH?
Old May 18, 2020, 11:13 am

I am a travel agent who issued a ticket for a client on Friday. I can void it today and only up until today.
When I issued the ticket on May 15, I was using the rules of May 13 which allowed rebooking in J, C, D or I.
The client doesn't care about waiting 14 days when the class issue is a big deal. I doubt I'll ever be able to find J-C-D-I for anything he wants.
I have the instructions from the PDF issued May 13 on how to reissue the ticket and the waiver codes we use when we do this process.
The waiver codes the same as the PDF issued May 18 so there is no way for QR to differentiate when a waiver was issued.
The client is anxious for an answer and is willing to let me advise him on whether to keep the ticket or not.
I can exchange the ticket to whatever - IAD-MLE (within 5000 miles) into J class and make it an even exchange with their waiver code (using May 13 guidelines) in 3 minutes.
The real question is will Qatar Airways send a debit memo (bill) for the fare difference.

It's very difficult to fight an airline debit memo. Ultimately they will cut off your ability to issue tickets on them and send it to collections.
I wish it was made clear if tickets issued on/after such a date had the booking class issue clarified.

Calling QR and asking them really doesn't matter. It would be something I would need in writing.

Any advice/opinions.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by gforce
I'm seeing HEL-PVG for 1,400€. Anyone seeing ex-EU fares any lower than that?

I think the PVG route has got Qsuites but not sure about HEL-DOH?
Good price. I’m struggling to find anything lower than 1900€ or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.