Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
I have rebooked Asia in July for Australia in November. I don't have high expectations to go but perhaps there will be another Covid policy in place by then to push the trip back.

You can make unlimited changes so why not call again and ask for what you want?
I'm actually OK with BKK. I have another booking for the same time on AA using AA miles, but this is better. Plus, this flight with my flights earlier this year and the reduced elite status requirements gets me within 500 EQD's of Executive Plat. My AA flight was into HKG, but I was planning on going to BKK for a few nights anyway, so I'm good. I just know people tried to get HKG and HKT, as well as others and were told no, even though those cities are within 5000 miles.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:58 pm

okay so please let me know if anybody disagrees
i was on the phone with an agent who spoke to their help desk and what they said was that when they calculate the 5,000 miles they calculate from original destination to doha + doha to new destination.
it is not 5,000 miles of actual distance from original destination to new desired destination. so the 5,000 is a little misleading

has anybody rebooked in a way that is > 5,000 miles if you calculate orig destination to doha + doha to new destination?
Old May 20, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Flame3601
It does seem everyone on the forum is either going to BKK or SYD in November. I would be interested to know who is going where and what dates
I bot three: LAX-DOH-AMM early Oct, LAX-DOH-ATH late Oct (Amanzoe, yeah!), and LAX-DOH-Seychelles early Dec. With these, I have min two trips per month, every month, booked up from July through to March 2021. Gorged on deals, stuffed full. Sigh.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akayyva
okay so please let me know if anybody disagrees
i was on the phone with an agent who spoke to their help desk and what they said was that when they calculate the 5,000 miles they calculate from original destination to doha + doha to new destination.
it is not 5,000 miles of actual distance from original destination to new desired destination. so the 5,000 is a little misleading

has anybody rebooked in a way that is > 5,000 miles if you calculate orig destination to doha + doha to new destination?
Seems like they're interpreteting/making up the rules. It has been possible to rebook up to 5000 miles from your original final destination.

What change did you want to make out of curiosity?
Old May 20, 2020, 2:42 pm

TBS to HND
Old May 20, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Seems like they're interpreteting/making up the rules. It has been possible to rebook up to 5000 miles from your original final destination.

What change did you want to make out of curiosity?
Even this doesn’t make sense. DOH to BKK is 3512 miles. To PNH it is 3800 miles. KBP to PNH is 4,917 miles.

They would only let me change to Bangkok, not to Phnom Penh which is what I want.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:20 pm

NWPlat - maybe its this issue of them calculating distance through DOH
Old May 20, 2020, 3:54 pm

NWPlat - maybe its this issue of them calculating distance through DOH
Nothing to do with DOH. It must be some memo at QR not allowing certain destinations (even if they are clearly under 5,000 miles).

KBP to DOH = 2,068 Mi
DOH to MLE = 2,055 Mi
Total = 4,123 Mi

The first four times I called I was told this was over 5,000 miles (or some other variation of this, "our system won't let us book this.").

They would let me book CMB which is a couple hundred miles further than MLE, and when you point that out it's like talking to a brick wall, "our system will not allow us to book Male, because it shows as over 5,000 miles".

Maybe that's true. Maybe their system truly wouldn't allow them to do it. But I had no pushback and not a single issue with the fifth agent I called. They issued my ticket to MLE within minutes. YMMV but I would suggest keep calling (and be courteous each time) until you get the result you want.

It's no coincidence that the types of destinations they aren't allowing all are "beachy" type spots. Phuket, Seychelles, Maldives, Bali.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:56 pm

@senatorbrown did you book your ticket after the 14 day policy was instituted?
Old May 20, 2020, 4:00 pm

@senatorbrown did you book your ticket after the 14 day policy was instituted?
Before.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:09 pm

has anyone managed to get them to skip the 14 day waiting period (if you booked after the policy was put in place)?
Old May 20, 2020, 5:04 pm

This is NOT what the policy says. Here is a direct quote:

When rerouting on Qatar Airways (QR) operated flights:
  • May reroute within same country as original embarkation point (of first ticket) and/or within 5,000 (five thousand) mile radius from original disembarkation (turnaround) point (of first ticket) provided original and new routing is via Doha (DOH)
As others have speculated, I tend to agree that this is a system limitation, which some knowledgeable agents apparently know how to overcome.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:03 pm

Tbh I thought about jumping on this, for example I saw OSL-DEL for £1190 before they started amending the policy, and I could have changed that to HND.

But honestly I'm fairly confident QR are going to have a massive business class sale soon enough anyway with no 2020 restriction, so I'll just wait.
CurbedEnthusiasm likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:32 pm

Just as a data point i was able to switch from KBP to MLE but the agent quoted it as like 4900 miles when it is no where near that. This was on Friday before all the rules changed.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
For the people able to switch to Male, and others who had to call several times: what call center did you call? I would really like to change to PNH as I was suppose to be there now and would rather go there than Thailand.

Yes it does appear they won’t let people go to certain destinations even if they’re within the 5000 mile mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.