Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:53 am
R2

Originally Posted by barboyz
But what was concerning was the chap said to me I will be taking a risk in not changing my flight that returns a year from now, so effectively going out in Sept 21 and returning early Oct 21 as he said he can't guarantee the current "book with confidence" policy will still be in effect at the end of the year.

Is this correct?
The t&c's include the following remark:

Qatar Airways is entitled to change its Extending Our Commitment Policy with immediate effect and without prior notice to you.
If they did remove the free date change option from the next version of the policy, you would probably have a struggle trying to change your dates for free.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:23 am

This is wrong though. The policy at the time of ticketing should apply.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:40 am
R2

Yes, that's what us customers like to think. QR would probably argue that the policy does not form part of the contract between the customer and the airline. They see it simply as additional benefits offered by them which they have the right to withdraw at any time.

IIRC the original policy was called 'Travel with Confidence' not 'Book with Confidence' (as in the thread title).

I'm not defending them, just pointing out the way they (probably) see it.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:09 am

Data Point of successful book with confidence change of MORE THAN 500 MILES:

1. Original booking made in mid-September for $1600 or so business (R) class round trip as follows: outbound KHI - DOH - BOS (in Dec 2020), return BOS - DOH - KHI (in Apr 2021). I actually wanted to fly to Chicago, not Boston, but the fare of Boston was $1000++ cheaper. The distance between boston and chicago is more than 500 miles, but less than 5000 miles.

2. Checked every morning on ITA Matrix website till my desired outbound route KHI - DOH - ORD is available is R class today. At this point the return is not available in R class (its fine, I just want to change the outbound for now).

3. Called 1877 phone number, 20 minute hold time. Gave my confirmation code, and said "Due to Boston Massachussets having a quarantine order, but Chicago does not have a quarantine order, can I please change just the outbound flight from Boston to Chicago."

4. The agent said "okay let me check", took about 10 minutes and came back and said "sorry not the fare-class is not available" and some other excuse that i couldn't hear on the bad connection. I knew the fare-class thing was not correct - so I straight up said "I understand that fare class for return flight isn't available so I don't want to change it, but I saw online that the R class is available for the outbound can you please change just that".

5. The agent hemmed and hawed a bit more, implying I must be wrong and they are correct. But I said that I definitely saw the R fare class, and also I thought I booked under qatar "travel with confidence policy" and due to the quarantine order I cannot go to boston can we please change to chicago involuntary change.

6. The agent said "okay let me check on changing just the outbound" (I think they initially checked the return also so couldn't see the R class). They were back in 5 minutes and the change was made, the agent waited till II got the email with the change.

7. Total 20-30 minute phone call, I now have KHI - DOH - ORD (in Dec 2020, my desired route), with a BOS - DOH - KHI return segment in April I will probably change later.

At no point in the entire call was the 500 vs 5000 mile difference thing brought up, maybe because my change was in the same country. I think this might be an excellent opportunity for people to get cheap business class fares to Boston or NewYork (on the east coast, both cities with quarantine orders), and try their luck in changing it to the more expensive mid/west coast with the excuse that the quarantine order is an involuntary change. My new ticket now has the note: INVOL REROUTE /C1-4 NON END INVOL DUE COVID COMM 1059-BG QR

Last edited by nomiiiii; Oct 8, 2020 at 11:16 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: QR Platinum
HelloI have a voucher for a cancelled one way ticket from Cebu to Oslo. the amount in the voucher is in USD.
I tried to use this voucher now on a roundtrip from Oslo to Singapore. The ticket will be charge in NOK.
When I submit the voucher I get this error message: "the voucher is not valid for this point of departure"
I thought the voucher was valid for any routes as informed here: https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...fected-routes-

I been on contact with QR on Whattsapp, but they could not help me and told me that I had to call them to make the booking on the phone. I guess I will be charge extra if I make the booking one the Phone.

Anybody have had the same problem and have any workaround?
Will the voucher work only if the ticket is charge in USD?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kind regards Haavard
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by haavard77
HelloI have a voucher for a cancelled one way ticket from Cebu to Oslo. the amount in the voucher is in USD.
I tried to use this voucher now on a roundtrip from Oslo to Singapore. The ticket will be charge in NOK.
When I submit the voucher I get this error message: "the voucher is not valid for this point of departure"
I thought the voucher was valid for any routes as informed here: https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...fected-routes-

I been on contact with QR on Whattsapp, but they could not help me and told me that I had to call them to make the booking on the phone. I guess I will be charge extra if I make the booking one the Phone.

Anybody have had the same problem and have any workaround?
Will the voucher work only if the ticket is charge in USD?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kind regards Haavard
Make the booking on the phone and ask them to waive the phone charge because it is impossible to use the voucher online.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Make the booking on the phone and ask them to waive the phone charge because it is impossible to use the voucher online.
FWIW, the agents I’ve encountered over the phone have not even touched on the topic of charging a phone fee due to the pandemic. I highly doubt any agent would be trivial enough to charge for a phone fee at this point in time.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
FWIW, the agents I’ve encountered over the phone have not even touched on the topic of charging a phone fee due to the pandemic. I highly doubt any agent would be trivial enough to charge for a phone fee at this point in time.
Though there is no phone fee per se, flights bought via call centers are charged at a higher price.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by R2
The t&c's include the following remark:

Thank you for your reply.

If they did remove the free date change option from the next version of the policy, you would probably have a struggle trying to change your dates for free.
Even with an involuntary change? I had a 2-hour layover in Doha that has now gone to 18 hours on my outbound journey and a similar change on the inbound.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All my segments are cancelled and I am invited to leave the PNR in Open status for two years from ticket validity. What I don't understand is that after 01 JAN I need to pay a fare difference. Does this mean I need to choose my new dates before 01 JAN, which means its hardly open status in the way I understand it. Open status to me means rebooking to any day, on any RBD in the same compartment.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
All my segments are cancelled and I am invited to leave the PNR in Open status for two years from ticket validity. What I don't understand is that after 01 JAN I need to pay a fare difference. Does this mean I need to choose my new dates before 01 JAN, which means its hardly open status in the way I understand it. Open status to me means rebooking to any day, on any RBD in the same compartment.
01 JAN 2021 or 2022? I can’t imagine you need to choose dates before January 2021. However since we have unlimited changes why not just choose dates and at least set up an itinerary? Or you could refund.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
hugolover on QR. Nice to see you here.

As far as I understand, your ticket needs to be re-issued and as QR's Book With Confidence policy is only valid for tickets issued until 31 December 2020, you might need to pay a fare difference after 1 January 2021 if the policy does not extend.

If you reissue your ticket with precise dates until 1 January 2021, you would be able to change the dates for free within the same RBD in 2021 for travel until 31 December 2021 according to the current Book with Confidence policy.

If you do not select your dates until 1 January 2021, despite having availability on the same fare bucket ( RBD ), you might need to pay a fare difference when re-issuing your open ticket and the new policy at that time would apply for any further changes.
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!

I need to pick dates before 01 JAN 21 for travel during 2021 and that is for free, then further changes are for free within the same RBD only. Otherwise it's a ticket recalc. Not that generous really, especially needing to pick dates for '21 however I'd imagine that further cancellation are inevitable giving a further right to changes especially as QR have terminated rebooking to within alliance and OAL.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
This is different from EK. I booked a flight last March 2020 which was canceled by EK and my ticket has been placed to open status. They are giving me until March 2022 to choose a different date without paying any fare difference but travel should also be completed by March 2022.

Maybe calling again should do the trick?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Data point: Successfully changed JFK-DOH-KBP to JFK-DOH-PRG for same dates in April/May 2021. Originally booked in May 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.