Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Changing into pyjamas in Qsuites - etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing into pyjamas in Qsuites - etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Seat will be upright for take off
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by gms
You can change in your QSuite, but surely anyone walking past will see everything! The door isn't that high!
Hah, the photoshopped pictures on Qatar website seem to show the door being about 2 feet higher than a normal human's head.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Yes. I tend to do just that too. And have the seat made up before takeoff if possible so I can sleep when I want.
I have the flight attendant make up my bed and change me into my pyjamas pre-takeoff if possible.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I have the flight attendant make up my bed and change me into my pyjamas pre-takeoff if possible.
So many questions...
PAL62V, stuwilky and fender5787 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The problem is not changing into PJ but getting out of it.
Before landing the toilets are in heavy use, in part because girls and boys wish to make up and look presentable upon arrival I usually get waking up as late as possible and by the time I finish quick breakfast, the seat belt sign is on. The suite door is quite high and I see no problem changing at my seat. A bit more difficult with my lovely wife wearing her sexy lingerie ....
GalaxyChris and Aston100 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So there have been times where I’ve been very warm and trying to sleep in a qsuite where I’ll change my pajama bottoms to basketball shorts, however I will make sure I’m wrapped in my blanket and laying down in flat bed mode when conducting this maneuver to play it safe and guarantee no one has a chance of knowing what I’m doing (let alone get anything close to a glimpse). I will, however, always use the lavs to change from street clothes to pjs and vice versa, but as some have mentioned, the lavs get super crowded prior to landing (especially on the 35K where there’s only 3 lavs for 46 J seats), so I can understand the frustration of waiting. But let’s be real, the vast majority of travelers in J don’t have bodies of Instagram models or pro-athletes, and no matter how good you think you look, most people aren’t gonna appreciate seeing you in your skivvies (or even worse in your birthday suit) mid changing, so for the sake of everyone, perhaps it’s best to leave the changing in the lavs regardless of how much we’d like to not.
Aston100 likes this.

Last edited by fender5787; Dec 30, 2019 at 11:04 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Since we are two pages into this rabbithole, can I just add this: in the Nordics we have the sauna culture. I you haven't been exposed to a hundred strangers a year in their free range outfit then you haven't been out of your house much. I have yet to see any of my colleagues faint over a sauna session or a sprawl in the snow, so I don't see the issues with getting in or out of PJs...

-A
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Since we are two pages into this rabbithole, can I just add this: in the Nordics we have the sauna culture. I you haven't been exposed to a hundred strangers a year in their free range outfit then you haven't been out of your house much. I have yet to see any of my colleagues faint over a sauna session or a sprawl in the snow, so I don't see the issues with getting in or out of PJs...

-A
I'll bear that in mind for the next time I'm at a Scandinavian sauna. In the meanwhile, this thread is about etiquette onboard an aircraft.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
So many questions...
It's classified as a pre-takeoff amenity and why I always book myself as an unaccompanied minor at the age of 57
Aston100 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold

-A
But we aren't talking about Nordic sauna culture, we're talking about a mix of cultures aboard an aircraft. I would suggest being seen in a state of undress aboard a Qatari aircraft, by a Muslim female passenger who subsequently complains, would not be good for all involved. I've previously witnessed female passengers complain vehemently about being merely seated next to male passengers...

OP, do everyone, including yourself, a favour & change in the toilets. Qsuite walls only come up to mid-chest height & you could easily be seen by passers-by.

Last edited by impeymac; Dec 31, 2019 at 3:29 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

-A
Perhaps it’s because I’m a prude yankee, but anytime I’m in a Nordic sauna, Russian bathhouse, or japanese onsen, I just get hella creeped out and uncomfortable by all the men that seem to be perfectly cool chilling in their birthday suits; in a way totally defeating the purpose of visiting said sauna . But regardless, as others have said, a business class cabin is not a sauna (although one might be forgiven in thinking that with the temperatures some Asian carriers keep their cabins at), hence it’s best to have a modicum of humility and keep the changing to the lavs. This is QR after all and not hooters air 😂
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
Perhaps it’s because I’m a prude yankee, but anytime I’m in a Nordic sauna, Russian bathhouse, or japanese onsen, I just get hella creeped out and uncomfortable by all the men that seem to be perfectly cool chilling in their birthday suits; in a way totally defeating the purpose of visiting said sauna . But regardless, as others have said, a business class cabin is not a sauna (although one might be forgiven in thinking that with the temperatures some Asian carriers keep their cabins at), hence it’s best to have a modicum of humility and keep the changing to the lavs. This is QR after all and not hooters air 😂
Out of interest, what is your opinion on toilet cubicles in the USA, which seem to have massive gaps all around, and can often lead to unwanted eye contact?
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Just to close this, I changed in the toilet!!

Slept into 2020 and now feeling rested and well fed.

Happy new year FTers
fender5787 and Aston100 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Just to close this, I changed in the toilet!!

Slept into 2020 and now feeling rested and well fed.

Happy new year FTers
LOL. Problem solved!

And a HNY to yourself & all FTers too.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
Out of interest, what is your opinion on toilet cubicles in the USA, which seem to have massive gaps all around, and can often lead to unwanted eye contact?
HA I hate them and have no clue why this practice continues! Heck, they even did an episode of Seinfeld about this very issue. At least, nowadays more and more workplaces, restaurants and bars are switching to all-gender individual washrooms (at least in the cities), which gives one that much more privacy. But to stay on the topic of changing, doesn’t etihad (or some a380 carrier) have separate changing rooms on their 380s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.