Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Cancelling flights

Hello all, we have flights booked for LHR to kul and return sin to LHR, I've go to to go to hospital this Wednesday and the doctors might not let me fly, the doctors will write a letter, I'm hoping Qatar will cancel the flights and refund us. Does this happen? Or will we have to go through insurance. Which is the best number to ring, is it just general customer service?
Thanks for any info, fingers crossed they'll let us fly, we are on q suites coming home! It's going to hurt cancelling!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Kiddafev
Hello all, we have flights booked for LHR to kul and return sin to LHR, I've go to to go to hospital this Wednesday and the doctors might not let me fly, the doctors will write a letter, I'm hoping Qatar will cancel the flights and refund us. Does this happen? Or will we have to go through insurance. Which is the best number to ring, is it just general customer service?
Thanks for any info, fingers crossed they'll let us fly, we are on q suites coming home! It's going to hurt cancelling!
Qatar Airways, Conditions of Carriage, Section 3 - Tickets

2.4 Illness of Passenger

When a Passenger after having commenced his or her journey is prevented from travelling within the period or validity of the Ticket by reason of illness, we may extend (provided such extension is not precluded by our regulations applicable to the fare paid by the Passenger) the period of validity of that Passenger’s Ticket until the date when the Passenger becomes fit to travel according to a medical certificate, or until our first flight after such date from point where the journey is resumed on which space is available in the class of service for which the fare has been paid. When the Flight Coupons remaining in the Ticket involve one or more stopovers, the validity of such Ticket, subject to our regulations, may be extended for not more than three months from the date shown on such certificate. In such circumstances, we may extend similarly the period of validity of tickets of other members of the Passenger’s immediate family accompanying an incapacitated passenger.
So, on the basis of the above, refund is unlikely, but being flexible with the tickets, quite possibly. Hope you can fly and your illness is not serious...
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: QR Plat
This is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't. Get a letter showing cause for delaying travel and that is ok. If the letter makes it look like you are too ill, then you need to worry wether they let you board the flight...

-A
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

We've booked the flights for September and I'm going to need hospital treatment at some point soon, so going away might be inconvenient with appointments etc but then I won't be able to travel abroad for a year! So delaying the flights won't be good unless they delay it for up to two years.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This should be a very easy claim against your travel insurance. That will result in a simple cash payment upon presentation of the proper documentation showing that you are unable to travel. Whether that covers others in your travel party will depend on the specific wording of your policy.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Airlines can generally only extend validity for up to a year, so this situation should much more like a risk that travel insurance should pick up.

Hopefully it will all be ok on Wednesday and you can fly as planned.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Qatar Airways, Conditions of Carriage, Section 3 - Tickets

So, on the basis of the above, refund is unlikely, but being flexible with the tickets, quite possibly. Hope you can fly and your illness is not serious...
The OP might be unable to take the outbound flight. The conditions of carriage that you quote only deal with extending the validity of the ticket (It does not even say that the change fee is waived).

I doubt that simply providing some letter from some physician would allow to cancel a ticket without fee. That is what travel insurance is for.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:18 am

It will depend on which fare you booked and your route, but I have found Qatar cancellation fees to be very reasonable.

Yesteday I had to cancel an Economy Value fare from Australia to UK just one week out from my travel date and the cancellation fee was only $AUD240 (around $160USD). The rest of the fare was refunded. If your cancellation fee is as low as that it will probably be less than your travel insurance excess and a whole lot less stressful.

Contact Qatar and find out what the figure will be for your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.