Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Checked luggage on a turn-around question

Checked luggage on a turn-around question

Old Apr 21, 19, 10:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OOL/DOH
Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Posts: 3,192
Checked luggage on a turn-around question

Good evening brains trust

Have an upcoming DOH-CMB which then connects to a seperate ticket CMB-DOH-LHR (and vv), all in J. Will the QR check-in check the luggage from DOH-CMB-DOH-LHR?

I do need to take checked luggage as I will be in Europe for 7 weeks.

I do have just on 3 hours in CMB if I have to go landslide and check-in again.

For those wondering; the fare is almost USD2000 cheaper to do the CMB turn around than straight DOH-LHR and the QF Status Credits 160 more each way.
VH-RMD is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:42 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kuwait
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 144
It’s been discussed before but I think that one piece of luggage can’t be tagged for the same airport twice, so can’t depart DOH and return to DOH.

Sadly after the incidents today I would expect the airport to be very busy and slow if you’re going anytime soon, so 3 hours may be a problem.

The airlines may may get more flexible with bookings, so watch out with that to see if it gives you options.
clubeurope likes this.
Stephenk82 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:12 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: NZ
Posts: 1,025
Read this thread where a passenger was trying to do a similar thing but through DEL. The outcome was not good.

Denied Boarding DOH-DEL-DOH-LAX

If your travel is in the near future then I agree that with heightened security a three hour turnaround may be tight if you need to go airside. I understand the CMB authorities are asking passengers to be at the airport four hours before the scheduled departure time of their flight.
minz56 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:08 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,114
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
Have an upcoming DOH-CMB which then connects to a seperate ticket CMB-DOH-LHR (and vv), all in J. Will the QR check-in check the luggage from DOH-CMB-DOH-LHR?

I do need to take checked luggage as I will be in Europe for 7 weeks.

I do have just on 3 hours in CMB if I have to go landslide and check-in again.
Being on separate tickets, it's reasonable to expect a timely gap between arriving at DOH from CMB and departing to LHR. Use this time to re-enter DOH and pick up your luggage from storage.
ft101 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:44 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OOL/DOH
Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Posts: 3,192
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
.... Use this time to re-enter DOH and pick up your luggage from storage.
I'm not aware of luggage storage at DOH, is there some?
VH-RMD is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:52 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 9,730
How long is your connection in DOH after arriving from your CMB-DOH flight. Suggesting that you're Business Class or First you would be allowed to use the fast-track at arrivals and departures; however, the immigration agents could sometimes be rude and not accept passengers who would stay in Qatar less than 12 hours. Obviously, if you're a citizen of Qatar or you have a living permit over there, that means no problem.
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Apr 21, 19, 11:36 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OOL/DOH
Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Posts: 3,192
I am resident in DOH. Have 3.10 on the way CMB-DOH-LHR in DOH but only 1.20 on the way back.

We have 2.40 in between each turn-around in CMB and are not traveling until July and back in August.
VH-RMD is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 11:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 9,730
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
I am resident in DOH. Have 3.10 on the way CMB-DOH-LHR in DOH but only 1.20 on the way back.

We have 2.40 in between each turn-around in CMB and are not traveling until July and back in August.
On the way to the UK, use the storage service in DOH ( if available ), 3h10mins would be enough to clear immigration, and check those bags. On the way back, ask the check-in agent to check your bags till DOH and when arriving at DOH, just use the transfer path. Fly DOH-CMB & CMB-DOH without your bags in the cargo hold. After arriving to DOH claim your bags at the lost&found office/baggage services office at DOH.
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
On the way to the UK, use the storage service in DOH ( if available ), 3h10mins would be enough to clear immigration, and check those bags. On the way back, ask the check-in agent to check your bags till DOH and when arriving at DOH, just use the transfer path. Fly DOH-CMB & CMB-DOH without your bags in the cargo hold. After arriving to DOH claim your bags at the lost&found office/baggage services office at DOH.
Does QR allow short checking bags with such a short connection? Wouldn't they suspect that the passenger is trying to intentionally miss their connection which a lot of airlines frown upon and will not short check bags to avoid this...not sure how QR feels about it but the LH case is definitely and interesting one to watch
kq747 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:19 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,114
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
I'm not aware of luggage storage at DOH, is there some?
No idea, but if there isn't any just use another method. Leave it in your car, get a friend to meet you there with it, ask QR if they can check you and your luggage in for your next ticket so they're holding it while you go off to CMB and back, etc.
ft101 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:03 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 700
Originally Posted by kq747 View Post
Does QR allow short checking bags with such a short connection?
On the next page, they are not supposed to do it on a <24hr stopover: No short-checking luggage in DOH layover
crackjack is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by crackjack View Post

On the next page, they are not supposed to do it on a <24hr stopover: No short-checking luggage in DOH layover
This is what I assumed was the case but my comment was more of a question to ISTFlyer as it seems like they have had personal experience/success short checking bags which I would be intrigued to hear about
crackjack likes this.
kq747 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: