FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Checked luggage on a turn-around question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1966313-checked-luggage-turn-around-question.html)

VH-RMD Apr 21, 2019 10:14 am

Checked luggage on a turn-around question

Good evening brains trust

Have an upcoming DOH-CMB which then connects to a seperate ticket CMB-DOH-LHR (and vv), all in J. Will the QR check-in check the luggage from DOH-CMB-DOH-LHR?

I do need to take checked luggage as I will be in Europe for 7 weeks.

I do have just on 3 hours in CMB if I have to go landslide and check-in again.

For those wondering; the fare is almost USD2000 cheaper to do the CMB turn around than straight DOH-LHR and the QF Status Credits 160 more each way.

Stephenk82 Apr 21, 2019 10:42 am

It’s been discussed before but I think that one piece of luggage can’t be tagged for the same airport twice, so can’t depart DOH and return to DOH.

Sadly after the incidents today I would expect the airport to be very busy and slow if you’re going anytime soon, so 3 hours may be a problem.

The airlines may may get more flexible with bookings, so watch out with that to see if it gives you options.

minz56 Apr 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Read this thread where a passenger was trying to do a similar thing but through DEL. The outcome was not good.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...l-doh-lax.html

If your travel is in the near future then I agree that with heightened security a three hour turnaround may be tight if you need to go airside. I understand the CMB authorities are asking passengers to be at the airport four hours before the scheduled departure time of their flight.

ft101 Apr 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 31022573)
Have an upcoming DOH-CMB which then connects to a seperate ticket CMB-DOH-LHR (and vv), all in J. Will the QR check-in check the luggage from DOH-CMB-DOH-LHR?

I do need to take checked luggage as I will be in Europe for 7 weeks.

I do have just on 3 hours in CMB if I have to go landslide and check-in again.

Being on separate tickets, it's reasonable to expect a timely gap between arriving at DOH from CMB and departing to LHR. Use this time to re-enter DOH and pick up your luggage from storage.

VH-RMD Apr 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 31024014)
.... Use this time to re-enter DOH and pick up your luggage from storage.

I'm not aware of luggage storage at DOH, is there some?

ISTFlyer Apr 21, 2019 10:52 pm

How long is your connection in DOH after arriving from your CMB-DOH flight. Suggesting that you're Business Class or First you would be allowed to use the fast-track at arrivals and departures; however, the immigration agents could sometimes be rude and not accept passengers who would stay in Qatar less than 12 hours. Obviously, if you're a citizen of Qatar or you have a living permit over there, that means no problem.

VH-RMD Apr 21, 2019 11:36 pm

I am resident in DOH. Have 3.10 on the way CMB-DOH-LHR in DOH but only 1.20 on the way back.

We have 2.40 in between each turn-around in CMB and are not traveling until July and back in August.

ISTFlyer Apr 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 31024259)
I am resident in DOH. Have 3.10 on the way CMB-DOH-LHR in DOH but only 1.20 on the way back.

We have 2.40 in between each turn-around in CMB and are not traveling until July and back in August.

On the way to the UK, use the storage service in DOH ( if available ), 3h10mins would be enough to clear immigration, and check those bags. On the way back, ask the check-in agent to check your bags till DOH and when arriving at DOH, just use the transfer path. Fly DOH-CMB & CMB-DOH without your bags in the cargo hold. After arriving to DOH claim your bags at the lost&found office/baggage services office at DOH.

kq747 Apr 22, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31024264)
On the way to the UK, use the storage service in DOH ( if available ), 3h10mins would be enough to clear immigration, and check those bags. On the way back, ask the check-in agent to check your bags till DOH and when arriving at DOH, just use the transfer path. Fly DOH-CMB & CMB-DOH without your bags in the cargo hold. After arriving to DOH claim your bags at the lost&found office/baggage services office at DOH.

Does QR allow short checking bags with such a short connection? Wouldn't they suspect that the passenger is trying to intentionally miss their connection which a lot of airlines frown upon and will not short check bags to avoid this...not sure how QR feels about it but the LH case is definitely and interesting one to watch

ft101 Apr 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 31024081)
I'm not aware of luggage storage at DOH, is there some?

No idea, but if there isn't any just use another method. Leave it in your car, get a friend to meet you there with it, ask QR if they can check you and your luggage in for your next ticket so they're holding it while you go off to CMB and back, etc.

crackjack Apr 23, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by kq747 (Post 31025202)
Does QR allow short checking bags with such a short connection?

On the next page, they are not supposed to do it on a <24hr stopover: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...h-layover.html

kq747 Apr 23, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by crackjack (Post 31028258)

On the next page, they are not supposed to do it on a <24hr stopover: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...h-layover.html

This is what I assumed was the case but my comment was more of a question to ISTFlyer as it seems like they have had personal experience/success short checking bags which I would be intrigued to hear about