FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   No more Al Mourjan access for upgrades with Qmiles/QCredits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1876141-no-more-al-mourjan-access-upgrades-qmiles-qcredits.html)

purple1addict Nov 7, 2017 2:05 am

Originally Posted by jbflyboy84 (Post 29028648)
SUBJECT: Product Realignment - UoD using Qmiles/Qcredits
Process owner: Ground Services Page 1 of 1
According to the update received from Qatar Airways Privilege Club department, effective from the 06th of November, customers who purchase an upgrade upon departure (UoD) with Qmiles/Qcredits will be entitled to the baggage allowance and lounge access based on the actual ticketed cabin, and not the upgraded cabin.
However, frequent flyer members (i.e. platinum, gold, silver members) will continue to get their respective tier benefit when they purchase an UoD using Qmiles/Qcredits.
Example
A Gold tier member is booked on a revenue economy ticket, and purchases an upgrade
using Qmiles/Qcredits to the next higher cabin, the member will only get excess baggage and lounge access as per the gold tier entitlement i.e. :
 Excess baggage allowance of 15 KG
 Business class lounge access
ASMs to brief all concerned accordingly.

Well colour me unimpressed.

So EK and EY allow their top tier status members into their F lounges on a Y ticket, but QR won't allow their elites into the premium lounges even when flying in a premium cabin after airport upgrade... Meh.

Thanks for the official update jbflyboy84. Really appreciate you keeping us informed - even if I don't much like the news :D

mpkz Nov 7, 2017 3:43 am

This is pretty disappointing, and seems odd with the new lounges and stuff. At the very least, they should stop make scoring an upgrade anywhere other than the airport easier, instead of their current policy of keeping low availability of upgrade classes and then offer upgrades at the airport only to find 10+ free seats in biz.

Oh well, I have my plat until 2019, so I'll just cut back on QR flying except for the supercheap fares for now.

toastedcafe Nov 7, 2017 5:57 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 29026926)
I mean, even with stingy European carriers, you still get the same benefits when you make an upgrade with miles. And even when you get an overbooked op-up, usually same benefits apply. Maybe "meal chosen last" onboard. But no lounge access on a paid (with miles) upgrade? Hell, I can't see ANY European carrier even thinking about that.

It was not uncommon 15 years ago that upgrades (using miles) with KLM would not include lounge access in LIM. Perhaps it was a special case, or I was unlucky plenty of times.

ashbjr Nov 7, 2017 7:28 am

Prior to this, I learned another disappointing fact: No lounge access on a upgrade with cash at the airport. I always thought that cash was king and that a cash op-up was better than a QMiles/QCredits op up. Back then, which was two LONG weeks ago, agents told me that I would have had Al Mourjan access had I upgraded with Qmiles/Qcredits and had argued with me that they value QCredits/QMiles more than cash because it signifies loyalty to the airline. I suppose that doesn’t count anymore. Completely disappointing. But I have to note that the agents at the First Class Lounge desk (for Y passengers) at least acknowledged that they thought this was a terrible move on Qatar’s part and that they have sent their feedback to the higher ups...i doubt that this will do anything but still..

Flame3601 Nov 7, 2017 7:36 am

Pretty bad-ish week with all the minor but alarming changes to ME3. EK losing bag tags and QR even worse that no Al Mourjan access for pax's op-up using miles....

I have always wondered what would happen if everyone on a forum bombard the relevant airline over a new change , would be interesting to see if it does have an impact ? Imagine 100+ complaints in the first day over something like this would get HQ attention ...

JC880 Nov 7, 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29028974)
So, I'm wondering about a few things.

1. What if you get your QPoint upgrade in advance, on the phone. Then it's not an Upgrade on Departure, is it.

2. QRPC Gold member purchases a Y ticket then upgrades, the example given upthread. S/he is admitted to the "Business class lounge." That's not AM, right?

Checked with QR as I have an upgraded flight in the next days (I used Qmiles). Advanced upgrades will still have Al Mourjan access.

QRPC Reply:

We understand your concern about lounge access.

However, as per new enhancement, if you avail upgrade on departure option by redeeming Qmiles/Qcredits, you may access the lounge as per your original class of booking but you are entitle to access lounge as per your privilege club tier and eligibility.

If your booking is upgraded in advance by redeeming Qmiles or Qcredits by contacting via email or on phone, you may avail the benefits as per the changed class of booking (Business or First).

Seems like QR have their own definition of enhancements..

NoY Nov 7, 2017 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JC880 (Post 29033374)
Checked with QR as I have an upgraded flight in the next days (I used Qmiles). Advanced upgrades will still have Al Mourjan access.

QRPC Reply:

However, as per new enhancement, if you avail upgrade on departure option by redeeming Qmiles/Qcredits, you may access the lounge as per your original class of booking but you are entitle to access lounge as per your privilege club tier and eligibility.

If your booking is upgraded in advance by redeeming Qmiles or Qcredits by contacting via email or on phone, you may avail the benefits as per the changed class of booking (Business or First).

Seems like QR have their own definition of enhancements..

Phew. At least that’s something!

SullyofDoha Nov 7, 2017 10:13 pm

Lol, have to love the word speak ‘enhancements’ :rolleyes::td:

mr_botak Nov 7, 2017 10:15 pm

AAB has clearly been hanging around IAG types too much.

lifeonthego_k Nov 7, 2017 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by JC880 (Post 29033374)

QRPC Reply:

[I]We understand your concern about lounge access.

How the hell is this an enhancement?! Anyways, thanks for sharing. I will be traveling PAR-DOH-SIN end Nov with PAR-DOH in F and was very much looking forward to spending time in AS. I have also sent a mail to QRPC asking for written confirmation that I will be allowed access incase the gate agents aren't well informed.

Dr. HFH Nov 7, 2017 11:20 pm

I just don't understand why. What difference does it make to QR whether you upgrade in advance or on departure?

Matt4 Nov 7, 2017 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29033936)
I just don't understand why. What difference does it make to QR whether you upgrade in advance or on departure?

And I would add that an upgrade booked in advance might use a seat QR could have sold to a customer whereas an airport upgrade just fill a vacant seat that QR won't sell (if they have any doubt, like it happened to me when I requested the last J seat for an airport upgrade, they will make you wait until 1 hour prior to the flight to confirm your upgrade) so they should even thank better airport upgrade customers...

stargold Nov 8, 2017 12:21 am

One big difference between upgrades in advance and upgrades on departure is that the former is capacity controlled, meaning it was released under their yield control decision (and often not available), whereas the latter is more like a "stand-by upgrade" and simply requires empty seats in the higher class at the airport.

I don't think this should make any difference from the passenger's perspective, and certainly don't agree with the new policy, but QR probably see it differently.

purple1addict Nov 8, 2017 12:32 am

Is this only at Doha I wonder?

As a LHR flyer this will bite even more if access is restricted to the LHR Premium Lounge - given that I find it practically impossible to get advance upgrades for LHR (but have found it much easier to upgrade at the airport).

Dr. HFH Nov 8, 2017 12:50 am

Additionally, absent a cancellation or delay, someone who buys an upgrade at the airport an hour or two prior to departure would be able to use a lounge only for a fairly limited period of time, anyway.