FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   No more Al Mourjan access for upgrades with Qmiles/QCredits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1876141-no-more-al-mourjan-access-upgrades-qmiles-qcredits.html)

Rivarix Nov 8, 2017 5:49 pm

The cynic in me thinks QR is trying to 'encourage' its members to purchase access to AM. :rolleyes: If this is truly the reason however, it would've been better had QR simply tag an 'express' processing fee for upgrade on departure (equivalent to AM access fee). Yes, people will be upset but the experience will stay the same. This approach of denying AM access for upgrade on departure feels cheap :(

The other me thinks QR is trying to reduce lounge overcrowding during peak transfer time. I mean if QR continues to add flights (and there's no reason to think it won't), it will need to either expand AM/build AM2 or reduce the number of passengers that have access. I wonder if this also means that AM2 by the north node will not be ready anytime soon ...

SENNINHA Nov 8, 2017 6:07 pm

So i assume this does apply also to Al Safwa...
What about outstation lounges ?

mpkz Nov 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by SENNINHA (Post 29037807)
So i assume this does apply also to Al Safwa...
What about outstation lounges ?

Just had this discussion at the entrace of al Safwa:
Me: "So I heard you don't let in upgrades any more? Does that apply to non-airport upgrades as well, and those done before the policy change?"
Staff: "yes, sorry"
Me: "You know I booked this beforehand... (I decided that instead of explaining it, I figured I'd just test the rule) why don't you scan my BP and check?"
Staff: *scans BP* "Oh, ok, it says you can get in. Go ahead, but check at reception"

And they scanned by BP at reception, and here I am now..

mpkz Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rivarix (Post 29037747)
The cynic in me thinks QR is trying to 'encourage' its members to purchase access to AM. :rolleyes: If this is truly the reason however, it would've been better had QR simply tag an 'express' processing fee for upgrade on departure (equivalent to AM access fee). Yes, people will be upset but the experience will stay the same. This approach of denying AM access for upgrade on departure feels cheap :(

The other me thinks QR is trying to reduce lounge overcrowding during peak transfer time. I mean if QR continues to add flights (and there's no reason to think it won't), it will need to either expand AM/build AM2 or reduce the number of passengers that have access. I wonder if this also means that AM2 by the north node will not be ready anytime soon ...

You want to see overcrowding, check out the biz lounge during peak hours... AM is a haven of tranquility in comparison

Kwanger Nov 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Well this news does stink. I've done quite a few upgrades on departure, it's been sort of a fun game for me - felt like winning the lottery especially when the upgrade was granted with a long layover and you then got to walk out of the status lounges to the AM.

Personally affects me less these days as am flying more paid business but I don't think it's good policy - QR have been so stuck on their premium lounges being based on 'cabin flown' (while effectively 'ignoring' platinums flying economy), they should really still honour it if you do bag an upgrade, I really can't get my head round why booked in advance vs upgrade at the airport should be any different especially for high status pax.
​​

Dr. HFH Nov 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kwanger (Post 29046076)
I really can't get my head round why booked in advance vs upgrade at the airport should be any different especially for high status pax.​​

Agreed. Especially since, as I said above, those who upgrade an hour or two before departure will have very limited, if any, time to visit a lounge.

Crisu69 Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 29045725)
at the entrace of al Safwa:
Me: "So I heard you don't let in upgrades any more? Does that apply to non-airport upgrades as well, and those done before the policy change?"
Staff: "yes, sorry"

Do i understand correct, that there is no more Al Safwa access if i booked the upgrade by miles in advance (not at the airport)?

Dr. HFH Nov 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Crisu69 (Post 29046666)
Do i understand correct, that there is no more Al Safwa access if i booked the upgrade by miles in advance (not at the airport)?

Apparently the rules say no access; but at least one experience suggests otherwise. I would say go to the base of the escalator and let the staffer scan your BP.

Johnnieboy Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Crisu69 (Post 29046666)

These changes to lounge entitlement apply to upgrade on departure, as per the QR notification included upthread. Upgrades in advance retain the upgraded lounge access, and someone else upthread has had this confirmed by CS

YuropFlyer Nov 10, 2017 11:34 pm

This makes any heavy flyer in Y (quite a few of those exists) even more picking EK (and EY) over QR.

Dr. HFH Nov 11, 2017 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy (Post 29046815)
These changes to lounge entitlement apply to upgrade on departure, as per the QR notification included upthread. Upgrades in advance retain the upgraded lounge access, and someone else upthread has had this confirmed by CS

I think that it's far from clear at this point.

Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 29045725)
Just had this discussion at the entrace of al Safwa:
Staff: "yes, sorry" ...

And they scanned by BP at reception, and here I am now..

Johnnieboy Nov 11, 2017 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29047028)
I think that it's far from clear at this point.

I appreciate that there is some confusion, but the QR notifications quoted at the top of the thread specify upgrade on departure. The FT'er that went to Al Safwa asked if it applied to their pre-upgraded ticket, the escalator agent thought it did but the computer said they were fine and let them in. That particular incident looks like it was probably confusion on the part of the agent.

The important distinction in the latest t&c's is that lounge access and baggage allowance is as per ticketed cabin. Upgrading at the airport does not result in the issue of a new ticket for the upgraded cabin. Upgrading in advance however does result in a new ticket being issued, and this is what gives the passenger the advantages of the new cabin class. That's not to say this won't change in the future, but it doesn't appear to be part of this latest upgrade on departure "enhancement"

Dr. HFH Nov 11, 2017 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy (Post 29047143)
I appreciate that there is some confusion, but the QR notifications quoted at the top of the thread specify upgrade on departure. The FT'er that went to Al Safwa asked if it applied to their pre-upgraded ticket, the escalator agent thought it did but the computer said they were fine and let them in. That particular incident looks like it was probably confusion on the part of the agent.

If the agent was confused, it's irrelevant anyway. Agent asked the system by scanning the boarding pass, and system said admission to Al Safwa OK. The agent didn't make that determination, the boarding pass scanner (and whatever is behind it) did.

d3vski Nov 11, 2017 7:49 am

Going off slightly on a tangent but really irks me is the fact that OW status counts for zilch even when you have paid J tickets.

I get that they want to protect revenue and want to keep out the so called rifraff from Y but why restrict OWE from al safwa when flying on a paid J ticket.

......and controversially, I don't think much of the Al Mourjan. Yes it's aeshetically pleasing but food and beverage leave a lot to be desired (and a decent sandwich deli foes not make up for other shortcomings).

I much prefer the London Lounge.

remdk Nov 11, 2017 8:34 am

d3vski Al Mourjan has always been limited to J and f passengers. There have been a couple of periods when OWE and OWS were admitted when the Business and First class lounges were closed for other use/refurbishment.
OWS and OWE still count for access to those two lounges even if you are travelling in F! But I think that given the vast difference between those two lounges and Al Mourjan, and Al Safwa, it would be rather silly to use them.
With the new access rules they will now play an even bigger role.