Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Or alternatively, 11,568 seats occupied out of 15,748 available is 73.5%.
@:-)
Indeed! Should have thought about that!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Howdy all you vastly more experienced CWL travellers! A friend is looking to book CWL-KBV (may route through HKT if connections are poor) next May. I mentioned that QR has habits of picking up and dropping new destinations, and being the beginning of low season, next May may see some trimming of schedules for both these routes, especially CWL.

So, what's the general feel of the CWL route? Is it likely to stick? It seems to have been 'moderately succesful' and at least we know that QR aren't going to swap it out for a A319 via RGN which seems to be the deathknell for many routes!

Would you confidentally say CWL will still exist next May? It's just that if i'm less than 80% certain, i'd tell him to simply use TG from LHR as i've vast experience of QR's shoddy cancellations and rebookings (from KBV actually) which almost put me off them for life...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
So, what's the general feel of the CWL route? Is it likely to stick? It seems to have been 'moderately succesful' and at least we know that QR aren't going to swap it out for a A319 via RGN which seems to be the death knell for many routes!
Just got back from yet another CNX-DOH-LHR, returning via RGN on the A319, it was half-full going & 3/4-full returning, but a lot of them were for RGN, including a Lebanese beauty-queen & her entourage !

I think it was good to see our new DOH-CNX route kept going through the summer, albeit four-times-weekly, however the winter-season is now scheduled daily on a B788 so they must feel it has a lot of growth-potential !

Personally I'd be happier to see a slight-upsize, to an A320 with seat-back AVOD, and can live with four-weekly in the quieter summer. I feel the solitary 110-seat A319 can be a useful tool for maintaining new routes off-season, where the initial loads are still building-up, but I've no idea if that's how QR's management view it ?

I do wonder where it will be deployed next ?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Howdy all you vastly more experienced CWL travellers! A friend is looking to book CWL-KBV (may route through HKT if connections are poor) next May. I mentioned that QR has habits of picking up and dropping new destinations, and being the beginning of low season, next May may see some trimming of schedules for both these routes, especially CWL.

So, what's the general feel of the CWL route? Is it likely to stick? It seems to have been 'moderately succesful' and at least we know that QR aren't going to swap it out for a A319 via RGN which seems to be the deathknell for many routes!

Would you confidentally say CWL will still exist next May? It's just that if i'm less than 80% certain, i'd tell him to simply use TG from LHR as i've vast experience of QR's shoddy cancellations and rebookings (from KBV actually) which almost put me off them for life...
Personally I think it will survive at least until 2020.

Also remember, if they were to pull the route, your friend could reroute to LHR ( or any airport within 500 miles) for free.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Ah, turning into a moot point. Apparently QR havn't loaded DOH-KBV beyond 30 Mar 2019, so looks like Thai from LHR after all!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:15 am

Any updates on recent passenger loads on this route?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:29 am

According to a poster on another forum, 8,897 passengers used the route in Sept 2018.

That averages at 148.2 passengers per flight and a load factor of 58%. To be honest, that is worse than I expected. Whilst I did expect low figures in the winter, I didn't expect it to go this low this quickly. I dread to think what figures we'll see in November and February.

Hopefully Qatar will be happy. I imagine they'll be quite happy with the summer figures - though perhaps less so with the winter. Of course, this tells us nothing about yield. However, it does paint a picture.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:59 am

QR will deploy the A321neo to routes such as CWL. In the summer it go to some Asian routes that have lower traffic in the summer with the widebodies in routes like NCE that see much higher seasonal demand in that season. In the winter the 787s and A321s will swap around, with the 321s going into the lower traffic European routes. They should have about 170 seats and flat beds improved over the current A320 flat bed.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
According to a poster on another forum, 8,897 passengers used the route in Sept 2018.

That averages at 148.2 passengers per flight and a load factor of 58%. To be honest, that is worse than I expected. Whilst I did expect low figures in the winter, I didn't expect it to go this low this quickly. I dread to think what figures we'll see in November and February.

Hopefully Qatar will be happy. I imagine they'll be quite happy with the summer figures - though perhaps less so with the winter. Of course, this tells us nothing about yield. However, it does paint a picture.
Wow , at tad disappointing.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:38 am

As nobody posted a comparison, I thought I would.

So, as stated above, CWL-DOH saw 8,897 passengers in September which is an average of 148.2 or a 58% load factor.

Birmingham to Doha (and established route) saw 10,683 passengers. That's an average of 178.0 per flight or a 70% load factor.

Manchester had 27,356 passengers shared between 60 A350 flights and 17 787-8 flights. I make that out as a load factor of 64%.

Better than Cardiff, but not by a great deal. Let's see how the winter goes.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:00 am

Just booked flights for Easter. It was very easy to score upgrades from CWL, have to wait on return leg availability.
bmibaby737 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Update on passenger numbers on the route:

October 2018 5,817
November 2018 5,221

I’m not sure if it is still a daily service in the winter months, so haven’t done a rough load factor calculation.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:07 pm

Just to add, I had family fly round trip recently CWL-DOH on 15th and 21st December and both flights were full.

I flew CWL-DOH on 18th and again was pretty much full. J was full expect for the 4 seats in row 1 which were empty. I would say Economy was at least 95% full.

I have more family taking this route in mid January to visit us so will be interesting to see how it looks after the holidays.

Looks to be doing well though.
bmibaby737 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:18 pm

There were 6449 Passengers in December. A nice jump from November.

Stolen from another forum, so I'm not sure of the veracity.

In 2018, 55,568 passengers used the Cardiff-Doha service making an average load factor of 52.3%.

There were some very empty flights when the route first started and the winter isn't looking too good. That said, the summer was quite good with good load factors.

I have a feeling the flight is here to stay. There has been no real price dumping on the route and that LF would make it an ideal candidate for the A321NEO when it arrives.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:47 pm

Had family taking the route again last week and again both flights were pretty much full in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.