Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Payment Verification please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: QR Plat
What gets me the most is QR's incessant asking for sending copies of my passport for the most minor things. I'd like to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes in Doha to see how this flood of PII is handled.

-A
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
What gets me the most is QR's incessant asking for sending copies of my passport for the most minor things. I'd like to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes in Doha to see how this flood of PII is handled.

-A
Its just how things are in Qatar... there are about 20 copies of my passport floating around varying organisations in Doha!
Old May 1, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Pook
You can always pay with PayPal.
My home currency is Euro and I once paid a US-Dollar denominated ticket by PayPal via direct charge to my banking account. PayPal ripped me off with currency conversion rates. To avoid this I now use credit cards connected to my PP-account instead of direct charge to my banking account.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QRPC PLT/OW EMD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I find this all very curious. I've never been asked for any type of payment verification by QR. OTOH, UL has asked to see the physical credit card every time I've flown them ex-BKK. Never asked ex-CMB, though.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
Its just how things are in Qatar... there are about 20 copies of my passport floating around varying organisations in Doha!
I know, but if you read the fine print in the beginning pages in most countries' passports, you will see that this is pretty much verboten for the holder of the passport. In my country's prologue it even states that the passport is the property if my state, and I am simply the holder of it, and I am only allowed to hand it over to any authority that claims to have statutory rights to ask for it. That puts you in much hotter watter legally, should this information begin to flourish.

-A
Old May 2, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I know, but if you read the fine print in the beginning pages in most countries' passports, you will see that this is pretty much verboten for the holder of the passport. In my country's prologue it even states that the passport is the property if my state, and I am simply the holder of it, and I am only allowed to hand it over to any authority that claims to have statutory rights to ask for it. That puts you in much hotter watter legally, should this information begin to flourish.

-A
I don't disagree with you at all, but the alternative is no water, no electricity, no bank acc, no credit card, no car, no phone and most importantly - no job.

Still, why the airline needs a copy of it is beyond me, its checked at check or before you board anyway!
Old May 2, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
Still, why the airline needs a copy of it is beyond me, its checked at check or before you board anyway!
Probably to make sure that the person's really who he's pretending to be. If a credit card was stolen, whoever stole it could just send in a copy of it. While requiring a copy of the passport increases security, it doesn't help much given that passports can be stolen as well.

The best method is probably to activate Verified by Visa/MC SecureCode. Seems to be much more reliable.

But then Amazon is still not requiring either the CVC or any other verification process (VbV/MC SC).
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC MM
Just wanted to give an update on how this all worked out.

When I checked in at the airport at Hanoi, I was asked for my credit card with which the ticket was purchased, which I did. The credit card clearly shows my name matches the name in my passport and the credit card number was the one used for purchasing the ticket, which also was issued in my name.

When I thought that everything was "good", they asked me to fill in a one page long form, with my personal information; date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail etc.
After filling in the entire form, I was then asked to wait so that they could take my passport to their office, which was in a different part of the airport. At that point I just about had it and asked to get my luggage back, which had already gone on the belt and that I was going to fly on Thai Airways to Bangkok which was leaving a couple of hours later.

I know my reaction was extreme and I am quiet a patient person, but the whole process was just so frustrating. In the end i just went with it but I will not fly Qatar Airways again. There was a long line behind me and I felt like I was a criminal for paying with my credit card
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by yvrcnx

When I checked in at the airport at Hanoi, I was asked for my credit card with which the ticket was purchased, which I did. The credit card clearly shows my name matches the name in my passport and the credit card number was the one used for purchasing the ticket, which also was issued in my name.

When I thought that everything was "good", they asked me to fill in a one page long form, with my personal information; date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail etc.
After filling in the entire form, I was then asked to wait so that they could take my passport to their office, which was in a different part of the airport. At that point I just about had it and asked to get my luggage back, which had already gone on the belt and that I was going to fly on Thai Airways to Bangkok which was leaving a couple of hours later.

I know my reaction was extreme and I am quiet a patient person, but the whole process was just so frustrating. In the end i just went with it but I will not fly Qatar Airways again. There was a long line behind me and I felt like I was a criminal for paying with my credit card
wow, I never went with the airport option, I just sent in a screenshot of the payment off my card with a scan of my passport via their website and it was done within 24 hours, none of the drama, dead easy
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, IHG Gold, AA Plat
I booked a flight from Munich to Singapore in October with my Chase Card. I received the payment verification email and called the number for reservations. They noted on the reservation that I could just show the credit card at check in.

I log into today to select seats and see "Your payment is under review" at the top of the screen and credit information underneath. The problem is, the name and credit card number are not mine. It looks like there is a major screw up on Qatars backend. I'm going to the ticket office at O'Hare tomorrow to try and straighten this out. Who knew booking directly with Qatar airways would be such a pain.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by rmanderson26
I booked a flight from Munich to Singapore in October with my Chase Card. I received the payment verification email and called the number for reservations. They noted on the reservation that I could just show the credit card at check in.

I log into today to select seats and see "Your payment is under review" at the top of the screen and credit information underneath. The problem is, the name and credit card number are not mine. It looks like there is a major screw up on Qatars backend. I'm going to the ticket office at O'Hare tomorrow to try and straighten this out. Who knew booking directly with Qatar airways would be such a pain.
From what I understand the reason for this is the lack of protection for state owned business in the middle east, In this case Qatar being the state airline owned by the state they are seen by Visa and Mastercard to be able to back their own transactions against fraud this is why it is a bit more complicated than normal.

I have been through this process and paid using someone elses card and provided the proof and all was fine and was all good. not sure why this is so hard or complicated for people to follow. They must have good reason to do it or be higher than normal risk for fraud.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, IHG Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
From what I understand the reason for this is the lack of protection for state owned business in the middle east, In this case Qatar being the state airline owned by the state they are seen by Visa and Mastercard to be able to back their own transactions against fraud this is why it is a bit more complicated than normal.

I have been through this process and paid using someone elses card and provided the proof and all was fine and was all good. not sure why this is so hard or complicated for people to follow. They must have good reason to do it or be higher than normal risk for fraud.
This has nothing to do with state owned business or VISA or Mastercard. It has to do with a major screw up on Qatar Airline's backend. A stranger's card, I had no association, with was associated with my booking. Thankfully after opening up a support ticket the issue was straighten out.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QRPC PLT/OW EMD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yvrcnx

FWIW, some additional information based on my own experience traveling a lot in SEAsia. (As always, YMMV.) Although in the west (I'm from the Boston area) this is unheard of, in other parts of the world it's actually quite common to have to show the credit card at time of checkin. I live in SEAsia, for example, and this has happened to me numerous times. Additionally, IME, Vietnam has all sorts of seemingly random, weird requirements. As inconvenient, intrusive and officious as it is, I'm not surprised that it happened in Vietnam.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:51 am

Hi all,

I've read this entire thread, as well as others on the verification process, but didn't really find the information I was looking for.

I booked a flight last night for IAD-BLR using my parents credit card that we share specifically for travel. This morning I get an email saying I need to do credit card verification, probably because where I booked from is different than the billing information. However, neither I nor my parents feel comfortable sending credit card information through email or the QR website.

From what I understand, I should just be able to present the card I used when I check-in at the airport. But I just want to make sure there won't be any issues with this. Can they deny me? I already received my e-ticket and booking reference/PNR number through email. Are the seats I chose safe? I have to sit in the window or I get sick, so I want to make sure that won't be an issue.

This flight already cost me almost $1000. For a supposed "5-star airline" this seems backward and incredibly stupid. I should've just booked on Emirates. Sigh.

Last edited by SoniaG11; Nov 7, 2017 at 4:56 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by SoniaG11
Hi all,

I've read this entire thread, as well as others on the verification process, but didn't really find the information I was looking for.

I booked a flight last night for IAD-BLR using my parents credit card that we share specifically for travel. This morning I get an email saying I need to do credit card verification, probably because where I booked from is different than the billing information. However, neither I nor my parents feel comfortable sending credit card information through email or the QR website.

From what I understand, I should just be able to present the card I used when I check-in at the airport. But I just want to make sure there won't be any issues with this. Can they deny me? I already received my e-ticket and booking reference/PNR number through email. Are the seats I chose safe? I have to sit in the window or I get sick, so I want to make sure that won't be an issue.

This flight already cost me almost $1000. For a supposed "5-star airline" this seems backward and incredibly stupid. I should've just booked on Emirates. Sigh.
I had this earlier in the year. I booked a ticket a few days before travel and therefore wasn't able to send them a copy of my credit card statement as it takes a few days to post so I arranged with them to show the card at check-in instead. I did this in advance though - I opened a support ticket and also called them. It worked out fine in the end.

I would contact them and say you are not comfortable sending a credit card statement over the internet and will present the card instead, they should be fine with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.