Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Was anybody on the DOH - HND on Friday 7 July? I met a nice guy, who needed some help with getting the A350 rear camera to show up on his screen. Nice chat too, just wondering if he was a fellow flyertalk-er.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Gaz1a
I met a nice guy, who needed some help with getting the A350 rear camera to show up on his screen.
Is that the tail view camera? An actual rear view camera would be nice though.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hello all Sake folk! A few weeks ago I was really cheesed off because my husband decided he no longer wanted to travel on a 3 night trip to Japan for health reasons and his son was adamant we had to extend the trip for that reason as he'd not have enough time to recover from the flights before we came home - or he said he shouldn't go. .. anyways, this schedule change has been fantastic. I have not made any decisions yet but basically, my understanding from talking to an agent means we can pull trip forward by up to 7 days and extend by up to 7 days / plus I can route back into LHR ... and - I'm suspecting - route out of LHR - plus I can depart from HND instead of NRT (teppanyaki noodle bar in the JAL lounge I think?!) I can also split the ticket and cancel one seat. It's actually all quite a result on this fare. The only thing I cannot do is change the name on the ticket which is a shame but I get it!!

SO I have a few questions I wonder if some of you might be able to answer...

First consideration (as hubby is still wavering about whether he still wants to go - even if it's for longer) if I cancel his and extend mine, I could theoretically plan another tier point run while based out of Japan... (I basically will need 540 points to renew my gold at pretty much the start of my year... ) so I will have nearly £600 to put towards this venture! :-) Would anyone have any suggestions of any potential TP runs. I'd have no problem going somewhere warm for a few days!

Secondly, If we both go for longer, what would be an ideal time/schedule in mid/late Nov to enjoy the best of Japan ... and ideally what would be a good timescale to do it?

If anyone can confirm if there's any way to change a name on a ticket by escalating (I've evidence of my husband getting badly bloodshot eyes from flying (on three occasions recently) ... which is worrying him) - my dilemma is wanting to change schedule and go for longer but not on my own!

Actually .. another question... will they only be able to change the ticket to a flight with availability in 'Business Saver' ? or any fare class?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

CF

Last edited by CaroFos; Jul 14, 2017 at 12:49 pm Reason: adding in another question
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Japan is not a particularly good place for a TP run I'm afraid, air fares tend to be high (which the exception of RTW tickets and oneworld circle tickets, but these are well out of that budget). The usual suspects over on the BA forum might have some ideas.

If you've not been to Japan before, it really is a great place to visit even without extra flying. For the time scale it is hard to say what you would like, it is a huge culture with a lot to explore.

Hope your husband is recuperating.

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 17, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
I was unexpectedly made redundant last week! Consequently I'll have plenty of time on my hands so I'm wondering if I could extend my trip in September. Anyone know what the repricing costs might be? Cheers.

Update: Apologies I've just found the link to the fare rules. Any other comments welcome

Last edited by MM00LL2; Jul 18, 2017 at 4:30 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
I was unexpectedly made redundant last week! Consequently I'll have plenty of time on my hands so I'm wondering if I could extend my trip in September. Anyone know what the repricing costs might be? Cheers.

Update: Apologies I've just found the link to the fare rules. Any other comments welcome
I think these are the fare rules http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28546401-post417.html

Changes prior to departure result in a change fee and repricing - so it's not really advisable.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:57 am

MM00LL2 before the first flight on a reservation your ticket will be repriced at the fares valid for the day of repricing. Since you apparently have a cheap Sake fare this could be very expensive.

After the first flight fares are frozen as at the day of booking. The only possible reprice would be if the ticket class you originally booked is full or no longer exists for the new flight. Then you have to pay the fare difference up to the lowest available ticket class. Since this is based upon the original fares and it will be much smaller than the current fare difference.

But some promo fares do not permit changes!
This depends entirely on the fare rules attached to your ticket. These are specific to your reservation and were sent to you as an attachment to the first Booking Confirmation e-mail. Since they vary from origin to origin, ticketing class to ticketing class and for many promo fares from offer to offer thet are almost unique to your booking and the generic rules that CS have are useless to you.
There is also the matter of change fees which increase the less you paid for the tickets.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Hello all Sake folk! A few weeks ago I was really cheesed off because my husband decided he no longer wanted to travel on a 3 night trip to Japan for health reasons and his son was adamant we had to extend the trip for that reason as he'd not have enough time to recover from the flights before we came home - or he said he shouldn't go. .. anyways, this schedule change has been fantastic. I have not made any decisions yet but basically, my understanding from talking to an agent means we can pull trip forward by up to 7 days and extend by up to 7 days / plus I can route back into LHR ... and - I'm suspecting - route out of LHR - plus I can depart from HND instead of NRT (teppanyaki noodle bar in the JAL lounge I think?!) I can also split the ticket and cancel one seat. It's actually all quite a result on this fare. The only thing I cannot do is change the name on the ticket which is a shame but I get it!!

SO I have a few questions I wonder if some of you might be able to answer...

First consideration (as hubby is still wavering about whether he still wants to go - even if it's for longer) if I cancel his and extend mine, I could theoretically plan another tier point run while based out of Japan... (I basically will need 540 points to renew my gold at pretty much the start of my year... ) so I will have nearly £600 to put towards this venture! :-) Would anyone have any suggestions of any potential TP runs. I'd have no problem going somewhere warm for a few days!

Secondly, If we both go for longer, what would be an ideal time/schedule in mid/late Nov to enjoy the best of Japan ... and ideally what would be a good timescale to do it?

If anyone can confirm if there's any way to change a name on a ticket by escalating (I've evidence of my husband getting badly bloodshot eyes from flying (on three occasions recently) ... which is worrying him) - my dilemma is wanting to change schedule and go for longer but not on my own!

Actually .. another question... will they only be able to change the ticket to a flight with availability in 'Business Saver' ? or any fare class?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

CF
On your last question - they changed my R class ticket to a C class when the schedule changes resulted in an illegal MCT.

But while they changed my outbound to LHR (from AMS), they didn't want to change the inbound as well. ymmv of course.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:06 am

CaroFos to supplement BlackBerryAddicts reply please remember that in the case of a reroute it is your original booking class that is used for Qmiles and Qpoint calculations. Not the class shown on your ticket is academic.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
As CaroFos appears to be a BA Exec Club collector, the fare class for business fares is irrelevant anyway as they all (C, J, D, I, R) earn the same amount under BAEC rules.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Myflights notified me of both AMS-DOH and DOH-AMS flights being changed/cancelled to earlier ones leading to me missing my positioning flights from LHR and longer connections.

I had to hold 55 minutes to get through to CS and thankfully it was a very good agent.

She changed my flights from:

AMS-DOH-HND-NGO-NRT-DOH-AMS

To:

LHR-DOH-NRT-NGO-HND-DOH-LHR with the Q Suite on both LHR flights.

Not a bad result ^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Just got a myFlights alert for my September AMS-DOH leg - doesn't technically cause any issues but leaves be with a less than ideal 7h stop in DOH. Out and about in AMS right now and before I get the chance to check out the options on a desktop I thought I'd ask the group for suggestions as to what might be possible.

Very keen to try the Q-Suite, but only changing the outbound would leave me begging BA for some sympathy on the positioning flights... any chance they'd change both? And/or what are the odds on BA being nice...? What are the right things to say to QR/BA in this case...? [as the blurb should now say, I'm BA silver if that might help some]
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL+CCR)
I just found out that my return flight has changed.
I am flying AMS-DOH-HND-DOH-AMS. The return flight is on the 3rd of October. I was booked on the QR 275 for the DOH-AMS leg with a connecting time of 09h20.
They now changed the second leg to QR 273 which will arrive in AMS much earlier. New connection time is 1h50.

Does anyone have an idea if there is a chance to get rebooked to LHR on the return flight (you are right - trying to get on the 777 with the Q-suites)? Sure, I will be in Amsterdam earlier. But anyway, I will not be able to spend some time in Doha ;-)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by etiene
Just got a myFlights alert for my September AMS-DOH leg - doesn't technically cause any issues but leaves be with a less than ideal 7h stop in DOH. Out and about in AMS right now and before I get the chance to check out the options on a desktop I thought I'd ask the group for suggestions as to what might be possible.

Very keen to try the Q-Suite, but only changing the outbound would leave me begging BA for some sympathy on the positioning flights... any chance they'd change both? And/or what are the odds on BA being nice...? What are the right things to say to QR/BA in this case...? [as the blurb should now say, I'm BA silver if that might help some]
Some use of the app present the following as my preferred option: LHR-[QR8]-DOH-NRT/HND-DOH-[QR7]-LHR. But given only the outbound AMS-DOH has shifted, is this likely to be possible? (I would eat the positioning £100 for this if needed, though obvs will try to convince BA to extend to me a kindness of some form)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:57 pm

Looks like QR276 is no more, I was also bumped to QR274 that leaves AMS at 15:15. Back to the original travel time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.