Search

QR new J business class seat 777/A350

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
QR new J business class seat 777/A350

QR's current business class offerings already beat the competition by quite a bit.. (eg vs TG, and even SQ).

According to this article, they intend to relaunch their Business Class next year..

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-qatar-airways

...the carrier will unveil a new business class next year, despite its current fully-flat bed in business class being less than two years old. The move will come immediately after the carrier's move from T3 to T4 at London Heathrow and the opening of its own lounge at London Heathrow in the first quarter of next year (2011)....
^
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
QR's current business class offerings already beat the competition by quite a bit.. (eg vs TG, and even SQ).

According to this article, they intend to relaunch their Business Class next year..

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-qatar-airways

^
Indeed this is great news improving an already superior product (on the 777 at least), as the article states the B777 will Be serving LHR my LHR-DOH-LHR legs of a upcoming JNB trip in Oct are showing as 777-300ER.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I disagree with this, unless we are talking about the B777, which is a small part of the fleet.

The seat on the A330 and A340 is a standard flat-but-not-horizontal product just like, for example, Lufthansa's latest C seats. Not particularly comfortable. They are fine, but not better than other leading carriers' updated seats.

For me the seat is really the only thing that matters, though I would rate the food and service slightly above par compared to the competition, and entertainment significantly above most competitors. So, in my opinion, combined with the poor ground services (in fact, every aspect of QR other than the in-flight experience is really mediocre), I would say that QR does not "beat the competition by quite a bit."

That said, if this "new business class," as well as the configuration of the incoming aircraft, is on part with the B777, then it will be a clear industry leader.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:22 am

[QUOTE=mecabq;14338006]
Agreed. If they fit the Airbus fleet with what they have in their 777 it will be a top business class
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I think QR will have a new business class product simillar to what GF and Oman air is starting to offer as their new business class product: A first class sleeper seat being called business class
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I see why QR will be introducing a 'new' Business Class by next year...

Cos they're eliminating First Class entirely...(except for a few routes, ie LHR, CDG, FRA, KIX, NRT)

Qatar Airways plans to eliminate First Class cabins from existing A340 aircraft, as well as new aircraft deliveries. Al-Baker has announced that all upcoming 777 deliveries will be in standard two-class configuration.....

...Qatar Airways will introduce a whole new business class cabin starting from 2011. Details as to what the new cabin will feature have not been made public.
Quote above found on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Airways

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 1, 2010 at 12:08 am Reason: Updating information
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spoke to the cabin crew on my DOH-LHR yesterday and asked them about the 'new' Business Class...

They don't know the time frame for this.. one said 'soon', and another said that it will happen when the new Doha International Airport opens in late 2011.

But the overall consensus is that the seats will have private partitions / or that they will be 'individually seats' ... which might be what EK/EY has right now.

Sure beats having to climb over my neighbour at night on the current J seats now if I'm seated on the window sides.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
Post Qatar Plans Double Beds in Business Class

Qatar Airways will roll out a new seat in its business-class cabins next year that Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker said will feature double beds and be more than a match for rivals costlier first-class products.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-0...lf-rivals.html
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
So there will be a brand new configuration in the industry?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I was involved with a project called "Blue Sky" which was intended to design the next generation business class seat.

To kick off, we went to B/E Aerospace at their Winston-Salem offices and saw several concepts, including some that were pretty similar to existing products:

i) a seat similar to EK's A380 product
ii) a super-diamond style seat quite similar to the existing product on 787, 380 and 350
iii) a seat with walls around it, much like a first class seat on EK or EY

...and some which were quite new:

i) a 'room' with a seat and bed, and a separate desk and office-style seat
ii) a series of suites with an absolutely enormous footprint and in a yin-yang/Club World like configuration, only much more spacious than Club World - this was Akbar Al Baker's favourite and I think is what he might have in mind - if I recall the codename was "Whiskers".

I left soon afterwards though, so do not know any more.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
I was thinking about club world when I first read the thread cause its the only business class configuration with double bed. Just wondering how thay would improve the seat and make it more specious.

Maybe installing a bigger TV at the back of the seat in front of you and allow another customer to sit on the leg rest for dinning?

Last edited by TheDinge; Jan 9, 2015 at 7:31 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: DL GM
777 J seat renewals planned?

Quick question and I was coming up blank. We are scheduled to fly on a 777W much later this year. I was wondering if 380/350 herringbone style seats were in the works for the 777 fleet? The current seats look exactly like the KE J seats just in a different color.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:14 am

They are supposedly unveiling a new J seat for the 777 later this year and it sounds like it won't be herringbone as AAB has mentioned that it will involve a 'double bed' as part of it.

My guess is that the new J will be similar in footprint to the current J but the seat pairs will allow for a double bed to be created when both seats are flat. Alternatively, they will only have that in the center section and then reverse herringbone seats at a sharper angle than the A350/787 on the windows, which would allow for couples to travel together and solo travelers to still be happy.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by lowfareair
They are supposedly unveiling a new J seat for the 777 later this year and it sounds like it won't be herringbone as AAB has mentioned that it will involve a 'double bed' as part of it.

My guess is that the new J will be similar in footprint to the current J but the seat pairs will allow for a double bed to be created when both seats are flat. Alternatively, they will only have that in the center section and then reverse herringbone seats at a sharper angle than the A350/787 on the windows, which would allow for couples to travel together and solo travelers to still be happy.

That would be awesome if they had them installed before late November!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:26 am
c2h

Programs: QR-PLT, AM-Platino, TK-Elite
Looks like couples could finally get direct aisle and also window each. How nice. But how would QR react to cuddling in flight? ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.