Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

DOH HIA Train/Automated People Mover Operational 1 November 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOH HIA Train/Automated People Mover Operational 1 November 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Took the train this morning and it was very good and quick. Unless if you're running, otherwise it will be quicker....and easier.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Now I'm hoping for a distant D/E gate when I pass through in two days time!
Just my luck... I got a B gate!

Fingers crossed for Saturday...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Arrived at E3 Friday night - decanted straight into airside departures, so enjoyed the novelty of the train. Just in case anyone doesn't realise, the first two carriages of the train are arrivals-side, the other two are departures-side, and you can take those in both directions.

I'm not 100% sure I saved any time by taking the train instead of walking, but it was an entertaining new experience!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:59 am

The terminal train The future.

The train is finally carrying passengers. This is hopefully the start of opening the facilities of the North Node such as transfer security areas and four new lounges as well as the remaining shops and functions.

It appears to be adequate for the current passenger numbers but what of the future?

One suggestion that has been put forward for very much needed expansion is shown in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25196589-post29.html which appears to give an extra 22 contact gates.

Using this model only and defining the new wing as Wing F I can see that there will be a degradation of frequency as the train is at the moment.
Each train will have slightly more than twice the distance to travel and have four stations rather than the current two.
Using the times given in post 1 of this thread for each section and station the time taken for the train to travel the entire length if the line is 90 + 44 +90+ +44 = 264 seconds (44 seconds for each 'through' station).
The return journey the same. Thus from when a train leave the South node station until it leaves again the time taken is 264 +44 + 264 +44 = 616 seconds (44 seconds each for each terminus).
A significant difference when related to the 164 seconds today.
I know that 90 seconds from the North node station to the far end of the F wing is insufficient but 44 seconds should not be required at the two through stations. All in all I would say that the 616 seconds is probably 20-30 seconds too high but you get the idea - Train frequency would be halved!
This can be prevented by doubling the number of platforms at each station and have trains pass each other there. Even more advanced would be a doubling of the tracks.
I am no engineer but I would have to ask if the superstructure of the building can bare the extra weight. Of course this may be why the model has a flat roof rather than the arched glass roof at present.
This is based upon the model as shown, which is probably based on an up to two year old design and a lot can happen in two years.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:06 am

Keep in mind that the "train" technically is a cableway, which poses design restrictions.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:23 am

FlyingScientist good point. But what a limitation that could be. Keeping the current frequency would probably mean changing trains at the North Node.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
FlyingScientist good point. But what a limitation that could be. Keeping the current frequency would probably mean changing trains at the North Node.
Looks like the manufacturer came up with quite neat solutions:
https://www.dcc.at/solutions/configurations/
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Just in case anyone doesn't realise, the first two carriages of the train are arrivals-side, the other two are departures-side, and you can take those in both directions.
Is the arrival side of the transit working? On Monday, I arrived at D2, only to have both the D node transit security and the arrivals side of the train both closed (although obviously the train itself was in operation ). So I had to schlep all the way to the central transit security, only to schlep all the way back to the D bus gates (the ones I could see through the window from D2). Genius!

As an aside, I understand the need for bus gates, but why use them when literally all the terminal gates are empty (e.g. for QR852, the very last flight of the morning bank); why build them at the furthest possible distance from check in/the lounge; why ask business class passengers to board first only to have them sit on the bus, not moving, for 20 minutes; and why have buses leave the bus gates only to get stuck behind planes being pushed back. All seems illogical, no?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Just my luck... I got a B gate!

Fingers crossed for Saturday...
Yay - got a D gate so I used the train! It was a very civilised experience. ^
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Smile

Originally Posted by kt74

As an aside, I understand the need for bus gates, but why use them when literally all the terminal gates are empty (e.g. for QR852, the very last flight of the morning bank); why build them at the furthest possible distance from check in/the lounge; why ask business class passengers to board first only to have them sit on the bus, not moving, for 20 minutes; and why have buses leave the bus gates only to get stuck behind planes being pushed back. All seems illogical, no?
It is bizarre to have the bus gates as far from civilisation as they are. It's a more efficient solution for the airline's apron services, but a major inconvenience for passengers.

The wait on the business-class bus us more understandable: the passengers arrive in dribs and drabs through the boarding process, and it would be hopelessly inefficient for the airline to offer a constant shuttle to the aircraft. Got to say though, last week I was the second last to get to the bus gate, and they did offer me an immediate departure in the economy bus, or a wait will they organised a bus fitting to my status

And there's the solution, get the economy bus if it looks ready to leave. Waiting in for the alternative is a bit like joining a long line for premium check-in when queue for the economy desks is shorter.

Though credit to QR: at least they offer dedicated premium class transport at Doha. BA can't be added to do it at Heathrow.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:15 am

I'm currently kicking my heels in an almost deserted HIA, and just took a ride on the train (in the name of research...).

The two tracks appear to be completely separate, with one branching off to the D gates and the other to the E gates after the north node station. Not sure how that division of service might impact frequency, both are only running to the north node station at the moment.

With the moving walkways underneath, I'm not sure how much of a timesaver it really is, but of course some people aren't able or don't want to walk so it's a useful addition.

And after seeing it running empty for so long, it was fun to take a ride. I had it completely to myself both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.