Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

DOH HIA Train/Automated People Mover Operational 1 November 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Selected quotes from the press release:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) announced today that its dual Passenger Trains inside the airport terminal will begin operations from the 1st of November 2016.

The operational commencement was made possible after the Ministry of Transport and Communications provided HIA with an Operational Safety Certificate. The Operational Safety Certificate establishes that HIA has met the railway safety regulation requirements, to the satisfaction of the Ministry, for commencement of passenger service.

The Ministry has worked with HIA over the last few months through the safety certification process to ensure that HIA, the operator of the Passenger Train, achieves compliance with regulations in the State of Qatar, has an effective safety management system and the appropriate competency and capacity to implement safety systems to ensure safe railway operations.

The two Passenger Trains are designed to shuttle between the South and North nodes of the terminal, significantly reducing travel time through the airport for both arriving and departing passengers, which includes transferring passengers.

Passengers departing from HIA can board from the South station, located behind the iconic Lamp Bear, which will take them towards the North station located near concourses D and E. Passengers arriving at HIA can board the North Station which will take them towards the transfers hall and arrivals immigration located near the South station.

Each Passenger Train has 5 carriages, with the design capacity of 38 persons per carriage which allows each train to transport up to 190 passengers at a time. The two passenger trains will be operated simultaneously in a synchronized manner with the train system remaining operational 24 hours a day. Each trip between the two stations takes 90 seconds, with a 44 second waiting time at each station. Approximate walking time for the same distance is 9 minutes.

The press release is available on HIA's website.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:34 am

I think I need to sit down....

I'll try it out on Sunday!!!

It might be off line for it's 3 year service though
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Hooray! About time.

That will save the long walk down to D and E gates - and give passengers an extra 10 minutes in the lounge.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks for posting N1Rotate.

It shouldn't be long before the new security nodes are opened too, as these are beneficial features when combined with the transit train.

M
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Any photos yet ??
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:31 am

Woah! Didn't see that coming :-) I'll have a ride on it next Thursday!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Had a very very long walk last week and looking forward to the trains in operation next week on return.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It was always painful to see it go back and forth empty while I was walking from the lounge to the D/E gates.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Thanks for posting N1Rotate.

It shouldn't be long before the new security nodes are opened too, as these are beneficial features when combined with the transit train.

M
What security nodes will be opened? Where?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Might be useful for D/E departures or arrivals?
I always tried to get onto one of these buggy's, never managed to get on one.
Transiting through DOH 48h from now. Will see.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:52 pm

San Gottardo in November last year it was suggested that the train, a new transfer security area and four lounges were scheduled to open together. It is now suggested that the security area will be opening before long.
To get details look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l-nowhere.html for details
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks! Will transit through there in about 20 hours, good to know that the train will be working.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
*picks self up from floor*

And there I was thinking it was purely decorative... Thanks for the update - I'll be passing through on Sunday so will check it out.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Passing through Doha next Tuesday morning. Currently have a 55 minute connection and was going to not bother with the Al Mourjan lounge.

Does the Train now bring tHe lounge into play? It's a real dilemma!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Heavens!! The people mover and the 96-hour visa all at once! It's like Xmas and a birthday rolled into one.

Now I'm hoping for a distant D/E gate when I pass through in two days time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.