Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

DOH HIA Train/Automated People Mover Operational 1 November 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOH HIA Train/Automated People Mover Operational 1 November 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mpkz
Incredible how excited you guys get over this train
If you've ever had to get to the gates-at-the-end-of-the-world in a hurry, you'll understand the interest ...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: QR Plat
*sigh* A forum for flying travellers, airplane spotters, and the likes.... and what has it all come down to? Trainspotting!

-A
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I truly look forward to when HIA is fully complete and Qatar have a full fleet of Super duper J class seats.

Or maybe it's because I am from the UK where the inertia and the inevitability of badly planned, hugely delayed and massively over budget public infrastructure projects are the norm.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by d3vski
I truly look forward to when HIA is fully complete and Qatar have a full fleet of Super duper J class seats.

Or maybe it's because I am from the UK where the inertia and the inevitability of badly planned, hugely delayed and massively over budget public infrastructure projects are the norm.

Not only in the UK, you just have to look across the channel.

The differences between FRA and DOH could not been larger. Returning to FRA from DOH is a real shocker every time
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
^ the longest walk made worse by watching the empty train go back and forth...

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you've ever had to get to the gates-at-the-end-of-the-world in a hurry, you'll understand the interest ...
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
*sigh* A forum for flying travellers, airplane spotters, and the likes.... and what has it all come down to? Trainspotting!

-A
ph-ndr this forum is about flying with QR and all that that involves. Surely a part of that is getting to and from the aircraft, especially within the airport, since without being able to do so you would not fly! To many, myself included, the train is a tool to be used to reduce the stress of travel and reduce transit time from/to some gates.
I agree that the reaction of some has been 'over the top' but that is the nature of forum members. Please remember that the train has been running empty for 22 months since January 2015. So Trainspotting - no but welcoming some long awaited facility that improves the travel experience for many - yes.

The subtle irony of your comments was not lost on me but many will not recognise it.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:39 pm

d3vski "badly planned, hugely delayed and massively over budget public infrastructure projects " - Just look at DOH airport! Its a classic example. They have stopped building the promised contact gates but are establishing even more remote parking areas. Look carefully and I think you will also find a huge maintenance problem.
hotwingz remember tha FRA has been extended and extended to meet demand and this will affect design and placement of the extensions whereas DOH is a new purpose built facility. Taking that into account is the difference really so great?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Every time when we connect at DOH and see that we are going to need a bus to get to the plane, we breathe a sigh of relief. Why? This means that as we fly Business Class, we can sit down, relax and wait until everyone else has boarded and then comes our turn to be driven to the plane in a special upgraded bus. This is far more satisfactory that having to fight for priority boarding upstairs. Similarly, when on landing at DOH and we realize that we need a bus to get to the terminal, this means we shall be dropped off very close to the screening area, hence eliminating the long walk. More time to spend at the lounge. Again, very welcome.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by remdk
ph-ndr this forum is about flying with QR and all that that involves. Surely a part of that is getting to and from the aircraft, especially within the airport, since without being able to do so you would not fly! To many, myself included, the train is a tool to be used to reduce the stress of travel and reduce transit time from/to some gates.
I agree that the reaction of some has been 'over the top' but that is the nature of forum members. Please remember that the train has been running empty for 22 months since January 2015. So Trainspotting - no but welcoming some long awaited facility that improves the travel experience for many - yes.

The subtle irony of your comments was not lost on me but many will not recognise it.
I know... I know.... I know. I'm just being my usual self.

-A
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:50 am

We rode this train this morning. Went through transfer security and then to the train. It ran say from C1 - C12 which is where you get off for the D gates. I was glad I paid attention and happened to see the D gates. This is unlike DFW where you ride through all the gates at one terminal before moving onto the next letter. Most people familiar with DOH probably know this already but just wanted to share. And the new train was great btw. Now if they could just get NYC subways to look 1/2 that good we'd be in business.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Tbh with escalators, waiting time and so on, it's probably not even much faster than a brisk walk using the moving walkways. I mean it only goes past all the C-gates. I get the point for people who don't like walking, but in the end it's not even that long a distance.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
Tbh with escalators, waiting time and so on, it's probably not even much faster than a brisk walk using the moving walkways. I mean it only goes past all the C-gates. I get the point for people who don't like walking, but in the end it's not even that long a distance.
Taking the values from the press release:
trip takes 90 seconds
waiting time at station 44 seconds

This means that if you just miss the train, the trip takes 6 min. Add 1 min to get up/down to the stations.

The walking time in the press release has been estimated to be 9 min. However, the length of the C section is about 500 m, and walking that distance at a good pace of 6 km/h takes just 5 mins, and using the moving walkways cuts this further down.

Therefore, if you are in a real hurry, don't waste time on the train.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Taking the values from the press release:
– trip takes 90 seconds
– waiting time at station 44 seconds

This means that if you just miss the train, the trip takes 6 min.
That would be worst case scenario and on average a trip would take less than 4 minutes ( 3 min, 44 seconds).
Still, you have quite a valid point
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:36 pm

Are there not two trains? So in theory you should only have to wait 90 seconds for a train.

Or is one reserved for arriving passengers on the way to Security in the South node? If so what about the return trips from the South node?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If two trains are operating maximum wait would be 134 sec and average trip would be 157 secs, right?
If so it will beat most walkers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.