Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed connection due to incoming flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Missed connection due to incoming flight

I was on a Dubai - Doha - London Heathrow flight.

The Dubai to Doha was delayed so I missed the last LHR flight for that day (50 min connection which I have not had a problem with before).

QR offered a city or airport hotel. I opted for the city. They paid for the visa and transferred to the hotel. It was only a 7 hour wait, but enough to see friends in Doha.

My question is despite QR looking after passengers, is there is any compensation that can be claimed under the EC regulation 261/2004 which I know covers European flights but I briefly read that any flight that lands in Europe could be covered.

I should have landed at LHR at 2200hrs on a Sunday night but did not land until 0900hrs Monday.

There are several posts on here about short connections so I must make you aware that I travel once a month on this route and I have never missed a connection. This was an exception.

Thanks

Last edited by eastflyer123; Jul 6, 2016 at 6:11 am Reason: More info re connection
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:46 am

eastflyer123 unfortunately EC261 does not apply. For flights by non EU airlines departing from an EU airport EC261 does apply but for flights by non EU airlines to the EU they do not.

Below is an extract of EC261. (My bold).

I think that you should contact QR and say that you should, in spite of the assistance given, be compensated for the long delay.

"This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier."
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:47 am

As remdk mentioned, no chance for EU261 in such case.

I'd still contact QR, for such a delay they will most probably give a modest amount of Qmiles.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this.

I had just completed a Norwegian compensation claim under the EC rules, who were dreadful at providing assistance and information at Copenhagen (to London Gatwick) and tonight a similar law may apply to QR landing at Heathrow.

Thanks again
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:42 am
Original Poster

QR response

As a courtesy, I thought I would let you know that QR responded.

I am totally impressed by the very unusual quick response - less than 24 hours!

An extract of their email:

"A lthough we fully understand the inconvenience you went through, unfortunately, there was nothing we could do to avoid the delay and as such, we believe that this would be considered an extraordinary circumstance and outside Qatar Airways control for which no compensation is payable."

I'm not sure it was "extraordinary" as they do push their luck for 45 min connections, but seem to work it out usually.

At the time of the delay, they offered:
- Meal voucher
- City hotel
- Transfers
- Booked onto next flight

And now, following my email, 3,000 Q Miles.

I was not expecting anything - but what is this worth?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by eastflyer123
As a courtesy, I thought I would let you know that QR responded.

I am totally impressed by the very unusual quick response - less than 24 hours!

An extract of their email:

"A lthough we fully understand the inconvenience you went through, unfortunately, there was nothing we could do to avoid the delay and as such, we believe that this would be considered an extraordinary circumstance and outside Qatar Airways control for which no compensation is payable."

I'm not sure it was "extraordinary" as they do push their luck for 45 min connections, but seem to work it out usually.

At the time of the delay, they offered:
- Meal voucher
- City hotel
- Transfers
- Booked onto next flight

And now, following my email, 3,000 Q Miles.

I was not expecting anything - but what is this worth?
Thanks for updating the thread and advising QR responded promptly.

From the sounds of it, QR did everything you expected of them on the ground, so perhaps see the Qmiles as a bonus opposed to anything else.

The other thing to ask is, simply, what would you like from QR?

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jul 7, 2016 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Which class were you in, eastflyer123? It's funny QR mention "extraordinary circumstances" when the flights in question fell well outside the remit of EC261/04.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:43 am

I assume they use just one default pattern "Sorry but No" email on the first request asking for compensation, no matter if EU261 applies or not

But, the good thing with QR is, they do answer quickly on any request sent to them. Comparing their usual within 24hrs replies with those of LH (several months!) is like comparing a snail with a HSR train

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.