Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:10 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Grace B
Doesn't sound too good for QR's profitability (or otherwise) though.
an empty AM would be concerning during the usual rush hour...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by clubeurope
an empty AM would be concerning during the usual rush hour...
When I was transiting last week, the airport was as crowded as ever.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When I was transiting last week, the airport was as crowded as ever.
Exactly, it's seem to be getting even more crowded as far as I can see.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Amaranto1982
Happened again yesterday! Sent to AM which was almost empty :-)
Yep. It is quite frustrating to be in paid biz and walking out of the lounge because there is absolutely no space available and watching them continue to let people in and from the OW F lounge no less. Complaint is met with a polite smile and nothing more..............
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yep. It is quite frustrating to be in paid biz and walking out of the lounge because there is absolutely no space available and watching them continue to let people in and from the OW F lounge no less. Complaint is met with a polite smile and nothing more..............
and yet when you get out, you realise the terminal is similarly as busy... sigh QR/Doha really need to go on expanding HIA and the lounges, at light speed! I wonder how crowded it would be during the 2022 world cup.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Seeing as almost every other OW airline treats OWE>paid biz on the ground, not sure why you find this so offensive...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: QATAR PRIVILEGE CLUB
Originally Posted by mpkz
Seeing as almost every other OW airline treats OWE>paid biz on the ground, not sure why you find this so offensive...
I do agree, the OW first class Lounge is simply a teasing; I hope they will continue letting me access AM being Platinum
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
I am offended by the uselessness of the lounges. Flew AA last week and their lounges where much more useful.........although they don't photograph as well as the AM.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amaranto1982
I do agree, the OW first class Lounge is simply a teasing; I hope they will continue letting me access AM being Platinum
It's good to have hopes and dreams.

I am offended by the uselessness of the lounges. Flew AA last week and their lounges where much more useful.........although they don't photograph as well as the AM.
AM? Useless? What part did you find useless? Business center, where they have a dozen or more computers available for use? Storage lockers? Shower facilities? Front desk staff who help with rezzies, lost & found, etc.? Restaurant? Deli? I've heard a lot of criticisms of AM, but this is the first time I've seen anyone refer to it as useless, particularly compared to an Admirals Club.
tuchop, mpkz, Traveller999 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Some

AM? Useless? What part did you find useless? Business center, where they have a dozen or more computers available for use? Storage lockers? Shower facilities? Front desk staff who help with rezzies, lost & found, etc.? Restaurant? Deli? I've heard a lot of criticisms of AM, but this is the first time I've seen anyone refer to it as useless, particularly compared to an Admirals Club.
Some of this is reasonable, but I'm pretty sure you're aware an Admirals Club is not a fair comparison here - a fairer point of comparison is probably the JFK/ORD/LAX/MIA Flagship Lounges by which standard Al Mourjan isn't quite so far ahead.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:44 pm

If I walk into the lounge and there is literally no space in ANY of those places you mention, that is the definition of useless to me. Counter that to to the Flagship Lounges (LAX and ORD) (not Admirals) and no wait for a shower at all and plenty of seating and the food was better. Also, there was a business center which was completely empty. That is the definition of useful. A big pretty lounge is useless to me if there is no space.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I think our contributor was probably referring to the Flagship lounges offered at AA's key hubs. While these are a different style to al Mourjan, they can certainly give it a run for its money.

Sometimes a knee-jerk reaction to criticism of QR does the airline no favour at all.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Some of this is reasonable, but I'm pretty sure you're aware an Admirals Club is not a fair comparison here - a fairer point of comparison is probably the JFK/ORD/LAX/MIA Flagship Lounges by which standard Al Mourjan isn't quite so far ahead.
If I walk into the lounge and there is literally no space in ANY of those places you mention, that is the definition of useless to me. Counter that to to the Flagship Lounges (LAX and ORD) (not Admirals) and no wait for a shower at all and plenty of seating and the food was better. Also, there was a business center which was completely empty. That is the definition of useful. A big pretty lounge is useless to me if there is no space.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think our contributor was probably referring to the Flagship lounges offered at AA's key hubs. While these are a different style to al Mourjan, they can certainly give it a run for its money.
Ah, i didn't even think of the Flagship Lounges. Architecturally, I prefer AM. I really like the very high ceilings. Same with The Wing at HKG, even though the Pier is nicer. To me, the Pier has a certain subterranean feel which I find a bit disconcerting.

Food? I haven't tried Flagship Dining; so I can't compare. no question that the food in the AM "restaurant" has gone down a bit over the past couple of years; but I haven't noticed any downgrade in the Deli. I also like the small stations spread throughout AM with coffee/tea/dessert/soft drinks/etc.

Business Center? The AM Business Center is quite large; and I've never seen more than two other people when I have been there. With something like a dozen PCs available, along with printers, conference tables, and the like, I'm not sure what else one might want. However, it does appear that they have removed exactly one of the two plastic thingys on the underside of each keyboard which keeps it upright. I'm not sure why; but I find it annoying. I usually take one off the adjacent keyboard and install it in the one I'm using.

Space? It does get crowded sometimes; but I've never not been able to find someplace to sit. And basically all of the chairs are quite comfortable. AM is by far the largest airline lounge I've ever been in.

Yes, it's not without shortcomings; but, overall, it's my favorite airport lounge. Presumably there'll be less crowding when the additional lounge opens.
IAN-UK, mpkz, Traveller999 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

I have spent a good deal of time trying to find the answer to my question on this thread. Hopefully someone has an answer and sorry if this has been asked recently. We currently have reserved, but not booked yet, award travel (not upgrade) through AA using our AAdvantage miles ORD-DOH-HKT and HKT-DOH-ORD in business class. The booking code is U. Are there any access restrictions to this lounge because of U class or any known disadvantages we will encounter on QR because of booking this as award travel? FYI the record locator for both AA and QR indicate QR flights, NOT AA codeshare.

Also, it looks like the STPC ends at the end of 2018?? If that is indeed the case, but QR extends it into 2019, would we qualify for the STPC hotel benefit etc. for HKT-DOH-ORD or be excluded because of U class?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:37 am
Suspended

AA flagship lounges accept OWS and OWE regardless of itinerary (and btw don't accept paid domestic first), are smaller than AM and as a result, they're pretty full as well. I've had much more luck finding a seat in AM than flagship JFK or ORD.

As a funny "test" of spaciousness, I should know roughly the same amount of people flying via DOH or ORD, but somehow keep bumping into people in the ORD lounge but never in DOH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.