Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When this lounge was designed and built, there were no QSuites. PLT members flying J weren't allowed in, and access was not available for purchase. At the time that the lounge was built, QR was trying to become a player in the world market, and an ultra-high end lounge like the original incarnation of AS was part of the plan. The plan succeeded, not only in making QR a major world player in the airline game, but also in making Qatar a tourism destination.

Safwa originally hosted (mainly) regional first-class passengers + those QR wanted to be specially nice to. The idea was that local passengers could use it rather like a private terminal, entering the lounge directly from first-class security, and exiting directly to limos/buses to the aircraft.

Any success Qatar has had in becoming a tourist destination, rather than a transit stop, is in great part down to the ramp up of (mainly sporting) events held here, and the cooperation of the airline in promoting them.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AS currently has 3 types of guests: regional shorthaul F, longhaul F , PLT and VIPs.
Shorthaul F (business seats sold as F) or PLT are not worth offering an exceptional product.
Longhaul F would, but QR only operates 8 A380s and 6 77W (exCX) planes with F and fairly old F seats.

Not long ago, I had a discussion with a QR airport manager (on my usual route, F is offered at both end).
Most of these F pax are transiting in DOH, very few are paying full F. They are either award or avios upgrades from J.
That is understandable, as many of those willing to fork hefty F price prefer a nonstop alternative when available. When not available, QR might compete with other 1-stop airline (EK, SQ, ..), but QR F seats are outdated. Trying to get to compete on quality and increasing AS costs for all users makes little sense.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
AS currently has 3 types of guests: regional shorthaul F, longhaul F , PLT and VIPs.
Shorthaul F (business seats sold as F) or PLT are not worth offering an exceptional product.
Longhaul F would, but QR only operates 8 A380s and 6 77W (exCX) planes with F and fairly old F seats.

Not long ago, I had a discussion with a QR airport manager (on my usual route, F is offered at both end).
Most of these F pax are transiting in DOH, very few are paying full F. They are either award or avios upgrades from J.
That is understandable, as many of those willing to fork hefty F price prefer a nonstop alternative when available. When not available, QR might compete with other 1-stop airline (EK, SQ, ..), but QR F seats are outdated. Trying to get to compete on quality and increasing AS costs for all users makes little sense.
Actually i think they will do just that. New CEO has said that QR will introduce new first class. Presumably they will fit these to their new 777-9 airplanes along refined business class dubbed "Q-suite 2.0".
seanp7 likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Flying ZRH-DOH-BKK in Business (upgraded both sectors with QCredits from a Economy Convenience fare (S Booking Class). I am QR Platinum member. Do I have access to Al Sawfa? Or will it be Al Mourjan or even only one of the Frequent Flyer Platinum Lounge?
Old May 15, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Flying ZRH-DOH-BKK in Business (upgraded both sectors with QCredits from a Economy Convenience fare (S Booking Class). I am QR Platinum member. Do I have access to Al Sawfa? Or will it be Al Mourjan or even only one of the Frequent Flyer Platinum Lounge?
you'll have access to AS
Yenakad likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
. . . . to Emirates who have first on all their 777ER and A380's . . . .
Emirates have small sub-fleets of both A380 and B777-300ERs with no first class. 15 x A380s and about the same B777s.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ek-388-2cl
https://www.aerolopa.com/ek-73j
Old May 15, 2024, 3:39 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Actually i think they will do just that. New CEO has said that QR will introduce new first class. Presumably they will fit these to their new 777-9 airplanes along refined business class dubbed "Q-suite 2.0".
My expectation is this new F will be only on a small handful of planes on a small handful of routes (LHR, CDG, SYD) and will basically replace the A380s currently. I don't foresee any major change in the way QR approaches F other than a better seat and therefore an attempt to charge slightly more for certain F flights.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
My expectation is this new F will be only on a small handful of planes on a small handful of routes (LHR, CDG, SYD) and will basically replace the A380s currently. I don't foresee any major change in the way QR approaches F other than a better seat and therefore an attempt to charge slightly more for certain F flights.
LHR, CDG, and SYD already have real F on the 380s. I read the statement from the new CEO as his intending to expand F.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:08 am

The same argument was made before QSuite and now it's the standard for flying Business on any airline. They could do the same with F, making a complete new product no one have done before, the interview I linked to above is quite clear.
It does not make operational sense to have a "handful" of planes, we who have flown F on QR A380 post-pandemic have experienced that first hand, small crew due to the limited number of flights and as such no training, you cant just swap out an A380 for another one so having a broken seat in F is a nightmare. Any airline having a specific cabin needs to have a fleet that supports it and as such a numer of routes.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by brunos
That is my understanding as well, I have been upgraded from J to F DOH<->BKK six times the last 1.5 years, and once was offered an upgrade using QCredits (That I took)
You cant book F, even if the leg from DOH can be F (And cabin is empty) for those transit passengers.
Last year they tried to do a "mixed cabin" offer where the DOH-X leg would be in F and they raised that ticket price with 10k SEK. But I have only seen that once.

atm I think QR is not fully committed to F, and one major reason is their A380 headache. They where firm to never let the A380 return, and they did (thank god for that) but without a plan they won't invest in things above (train new cc in first class servings, interior uplift, expand network etc)
Old May 15, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
LHR, CDG, and SYD already have real F on the 380s. I read the statement from the new CEO as his intending to expand F.
I’m aware of what is being said, my point is I don’t believe this will work / it’s just marketing. I have defected from QR to EK over the last few years because the QR F network is too small and the product sucks post-COVID. Unless there is a massive expansion in F network to put it on many routes, QR will be stuck in the place of making a profit on LHR-DOH and then having even more loss-making F cabins than it currently has because there is limited traffic to DOH and no one really wants to pay for an F ticket to fly one leg in J. Making the F cabin better alone wont solve this (look at EY, which is basically in the same situation of not being able to sell F Apartments and The Residence for the same reason).
Old May 15, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Im aware of what is being said, my point is I dont believe this will work / its just marketing.
Ah, I understand now. I also think that QR will have its work cut out for it to differentiate new F from QSuites. New F will have to be substantially better than QSuites to justify any significant upcharge, and without that, it's not worth it for them.
Global321 likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/Oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DirektornSE
You cant book F, even if the leg from DOH can be F (And cabin is empty) for those transit passengers
Yes, Im having this issue now. Were flying DFW-DOH in QSuites en route to MLE. The flights to/from MLE are on the ex-CX 777-300s that have an F cabin. However, I have not been able to upgrade from J to F, and there was no option at the time of booking either.
DirektornSE likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:42 pm

do we get access to the al safwa first class lounge?

on a paid ticket with wife and kids from IAD to MED. ticket was purchased as business class, but the DOH to MED is in first class. do we get access to the lounge? thanks!
Old May 15, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Yes you do
omaralt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.