Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by NickRivas
AM
​​​​​​Charles Heidsieck Champagne- Rosé
Laurent-Perrier La Cuvée Brut NV
Better than Al Safwa to me...
mr_botak likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
I am just curious if anyone knows the rationale behind the wine downgrade. They still serve nice champagnes on board (in J and F), but the lounge offering in the AS is subpar.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
I know above has said you won’t have access DXB>DOH>XXX, however in practice if you arrive on an F flight (even regional) you will get access to AS, assuming you have booked a lounge eligible fare.

I have confirmed this recently again on a KWI>DOH>XXX flight, and was admitted into Al Safwa with no problems.
justforfun and JC5280 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:26 am

Is it really beyond the wit of man for QR to state concise and clear lounge access rules?
mpkz and bobmirror like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by railways
Is it really beyond the wit of man for QR to state concise and clear lounge access rules?
Yes.

There's probably very few employees that actually know all the permutations of the rules, so the chances of finding someone empowered to write them down and share them on something useful like the Qatar website is obviously asking too much.
railways likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I am Qatar Platin and travelling in paid business class ticket. I know i have access to AS as i did it many times before.

My question now ist: Can i bring a guest inside AW who is travelling with an upgraded (Qmiles) business class ticket with me?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by railways
It is.

Explaining things in simple, coherent terms is a skill QR has never sought to develop.
railways likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A number of posts have been removed.

Please may I encourage all users to re-read the FT Rules prior to posting.

Thanks

Msm2000uk
Qatar Airways Forum Moderator
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Crisu69
I am Qatar Platin and travelling in paid business class ticket. I know i have access to AS as i did it many times before.

My question now ist: Can i bring a guest inside AW who is travelling with an upgraded (Qmiles) business class ticket with me?
I would say yes!
Absolutely worth to try ;-)
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by plunet
Yes.

There's probably very few employees that actually know all the permutations of the rules, so the chances of finding someone empowered to write them down and share them on something useful like the Qatar website is obviously asking too much.
Are they even allowed to have rules that favor their own elites in writing? I guess BA have explicit rules for GGL above OWE so maybe
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by mpkz
Are they even allowed to have rules that favor their own elites in writing? I guess BA have explicit rules for GGL above OWE so maybe
Al Safwa and Al Mourjan are outside the OneWorld lounge access policies (like the CCR at LHR is), so QR can basically do as they please with access policies for these lounges.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:00 pm

Flying SHJ-DOH in F, connecting to BA J on a separate ticket. Any idea if that will get me access to Al Safwa?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by daniellovesflying
Flying SHJ-DOH in F, connecting to BA J on a separate ticket. Any idea if that will get me access to Al Safwa?

QR Plats are better placed to answer this one, but sounds to me like a total non-starter* if ever there was one !

*(although someone will now pop up to say they once flew MCT-DOH in F with QR, and were then allowed to spend five hours in an Al Safwa sleep-room, ahead of their onward flight in Y on Biman Bangladesh, and that you should therefore ‘give it a try …. what have you got to lose’ etc etc. )
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by daniellovesflying

It's hard enough getting a definitive, QR-generated, non-anecdotal answer to far simpler questions about lounge access.

You'll find out for sure on the day. The ideas of FT contributors won't change the outcome one jot.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
I find it interesting that the majority of this thread is much more about access to, rather than experiences of AS. After a lot of typing by reception, I was recently permitted access to AS by virtue of arriving in F from SYD. I found it rather bizarre and couldn't see much appeal to the place myself. Yes the place is near empty, but with perhaps 4 members of staff to every guest, there is no atmosphere and a rather awkward feeling or staff hovering. You can't even visit the toilet without being greeted three times. Its most unnerving. The food was pleasant, as was the Champagne. The day room with en suite was a godsend. I had to wait 90 minutes for this until 7.30am.

I enjoyed the water feature cascading down the sandstone wall.

On the whole, I much preferred the Sydney QF F lounge, BA CCR and CX F lounge LHR T3.

In fact I think I had a more enjoyable time at the Qantas Club in Launceston. I was certainly less bothered by the staff there.

YMMV

PS I was the only pax in F from SYD-DOH. The flight was phenomenal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.