Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Any word on when the Al Safwa lounge may reopen? I'm imagining it won't be for a long time, but I didn't know if there was any info out there.
KL808 and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
That is correct, we are transiting in 5 days and I am hoping AL M. is an oasis of tranquility without the sapphire riff-raff
Was there this morning and I think due to the fact that hardly anyone is travelling at the moment, it was very quiet. You wouldn't know that 4 lounges are crammed into one at the moment!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
If anyone's at the AM bar and could remind me what the port is they have behind there that'd be appreciated, I thought it was pretty nice and intended to pick up a bottle - but for some inexplicable reason I couldn't remember it after ~7hrs of very attentive service on the flight after trying it...
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:53 pm

Has anyone heard of a planned re-opening date for Al Safwa? Al Mourjan is getting busy, and having to wait for showers is annoying with a short transit.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ecanem22
Has anyone heard of a planned re-opening date for Al Safwa? Al Mourjan is getting busy, and having to wait for showers is annoying with a short transit.
I hear you but would be anyone's guess and pure speculation until QR officially announces.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Was wondering if travelling Muscat-Doha-Melbourne, both in premium cabin, would I get into Al Safwa? Trip is still many months out of course need Australia to open but still curious what to expect.. The Q Suites flight to Mel on its own would not get me in but the short haul is considered F and apparently even though its like an hour flight you can get into Al Safwa if departing. Was curious about on arrival though? My trip is award ticket through AA, MCT to MEL via Doha of course. If the answer is no I assume its worth the $150-200 US to go to Al Safwa. I think its an 11 hour layover

I also was wondering in the scenario of having to pay to access Al Safwa, i read something about a 6 hour rule. Is that 6 hours only in the lounge or is the 6 hours just for the private room with the bed. The review I read didnt make it clear as to what the 6 hours applied ofr as the person was entering on a paid entrance and speaking about the private room and thus I was a bit confused what the 6 hours was referring to (total time in the lounge on a paid entrance or simply the time one, regardless of paid or free access, can use the private bedrooms)

Thanks
Old May 1, 2021, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Was wondering if travelling Muscat-Doha-Melbourne, both in premium cabin, would I get into Al Safwa? Trip is still many months out of course need Australia to open but still curious what to expect.. The Q Suites flight to Mel on its own would not get me in but the short haul is considered F and apparently even though its like an hour flight you can get into Al Safwa if departing. Was curious about on arrival though? My trip is award ticket through AA, MCT to MEL via Doha of course. If the answer is no I assume its worth the $150-200 US to go to Al Safwa. I think its an 11 hour layover

I also was wondering in the scenario of having to pay to access Al Safwa, i read something about a 6 hour rule. Is that 6 hours only in the lounge or is the 6 hours just for the private room with the bed. The review I read didnt make it clear as to what the 6 hours applied ofr as the person was entering on a paid entrance and speaking about the private room and thus I was a bit confused what the 6 hours was referring to (total time in the lounge on a paid entrance or simply the time one, regardless of paid or free access, can use the private bedrooms)

Thanks
Unfortunately, unless your DOH-MEL flight is in F, you wouldn't have access to Al Safwa unless you hold QRPC Platinum status. ( partner OWE's don't count )
In the opposite direction MEL-DOH-MCT, yes you would be definitely admitted in to Al Safwa.

It's also true that if you pay for Al Safwa, there is a 6h limit. If you would like to extend your stay in the lounge, you would need to pay another entry fee and if you would like to spend more than 6 hours in total in a sleeping room, you would need to pay an extra additional amount to stay in a sleeping room more than 6 hours.

So, I'll suggest that you stick with Al Mourjan and use the sleeping room cubicles over there for no charge.
As your flight is far away, you might also have luck getting a STPC hotel, but everything at the moment is pure prediction.
We don't know when would Al Safwa re-open or when would the STPC program resume.
Old May 1, 2021, 4:36 am

@happiest_at_40000, to add to what ISTFlyer suggested, if STPC hotel is not back up in Nov, I suggest use Al Mourjan. and use those dollars you would have spent at Al Safwa (entry + 6hr extension + sleeping room 6hr extension) towards Oryx transit hotel (few thread here that discuss long transits & Oryx).
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, unless your DOH-MEL flight is in F, you wouldn't have access to Al Safwa unless you hold QRPC Platinum status. ( partner OWE's don't count )
In the opposite direction MEL-DOH-MCT, yes you would be definitely admitted in to Al Safwa.

It's also true that if you pay for Al Safwa, there is a 6h limit. If you would like to extend your stay in the lounge, you would need to pay another entry fee and if you would like to spend more than 6 hours in total in a sleeping room, you would need to pay an extra additional amount to stay in a sleeping room more than 6 hours.

So, I'll suggest that you stick with Al Mourjan and use the sleeping room cubicles over there for no charge.
As your flight is far away, you might also have luck getting a STPC hotel, but everything at the moment is pure prediction.
We don't know when would Al Safwa re-open or when would the STPC program resume.
When you mention the sleeping cubicles in AM, you are referring to the dark brown chairs that are maybe "sleeper" chairs but not really like a bed right? Also, from what I can see they are not private, and others would be sleeping next to you? Its fine I just wanted to make sure I was thinking of the same thing you are mentioning. When you said cubicles I was thinking some sort of enclosed private area for some reason.

If the hotel program is back in effect, I currently would qualify as there is no later flight in from Muscat but I imagine by Nov more regional flights will be added back to the schedule and I wont qualify. Although in that scenario I can just fly in a bit later and not have such a crazy long layover.
Old May 1, 2021, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
@happiest_at_40000, to add to what ISTFlyer suggested, if STPC hotel is not back up in Nov, I suggest use Al Mourjan. and use those dollars you would have spent at Al Safwa (entry + 6hr extension + sleeping room 6hr extension) towards Oryx transit hotel (few thread here that discuss long transits & Oryx).
No doubt the Oryx would make sense over double paying for Al Safwa. How much do they actually the enforce the 6 hour rule? Not the sleeping room 6 hours but just the overall 6 hours staying in the lounge? I had read all these reviews how amazing and luxurious it is so was thinking for $150 it would be nice. However not for $300. I love sit down a la carte restaurants over buffet so was looking forward to that.

I know I will want to swim and work out so maybe just staying at the hotel makes the most sense. Looks to be $300 for a night Although how does that work if I am there at 8am and the flight to MEL is at 8pm On their web site it says 2pm check in . There must be some way to book it hourly and do an 8am to 6pm sort of booking and then spend an hour in the lounge before boarding.

I assume if I did stay at Oryx I can come and go to the lounge as I please and have some food and drinks. Is it simply a 5 minute or so walk from hotel to AM lounge?
Old May 1, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I know I will want to swim and work out so maybe just staying at the hotel makes the most sense. Looks to be $300 for a night Although how does that work if I am there at 8am and the flight to MEL is at 8pm On their web site it says 2pm check in . There must be some way to book it hourly and do an 8am to 6pm sort of booking and then spend an hour in the lounge before boarding.
Keep in mind I have not flown since covid hit, and there may be some bias since I was in the Oryx often enough that most people working there knew me by face.

I have always booked them on their own web page, and given input on my inbound and outbound flights, and I've never had any checkin time enforced. They have always let me have a room when I arrive and I've kept it pretty much until I need to go to my gate, even on some transits that have been 20-24 hours long. This has also always held when the hotel been fully booked, I've arrived at the reception and seen a queue of people trying to talk themselves into a room, and just be taken aside and given a key.

As I've mentioned many times here, my only gripes about the Oryx is the low quality room service food and the slanted bog. And then the general issue that if there is more than 5 people in the airport in general then the wifi is very slow. Other than that I've found it to reasonable value for what it costs.

-A
Old May 2, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
if I am there at 8am and the flight to MEL is at 8pm
Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works, but you might be a bit optimistic with a flight to MEL in November.

I'd have a plan B just in case.
IAN-UK and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Grace B
Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works, but you might be a bit optimistic with a flight to MEL in November.

I'd have a plan B just in case.
Yes I'm sure you're right and likely it wont happen . I actually decided not to even think about the trip or plan anything outside of my airfare until September and then re visit things . I was doing pretty good on that until QR just added in November schedule Doh-Dxb so it got me back into thinking about the trip since I was able to attach Dxb to my arrival into Doh.

At any rate, yes this may turn into a Muscat-Dubai-Melbourne-Sydney 2022 trip b/c I cant split them apart as I would never have enough miles to go just to Australia. Its outrageous what AA wants for that.
Grace B likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:23 pm

Al Mourjan is very busy this morning. Hopefully, they will re-open Al Safwa soon ....
Old May 3, 2021, 12:02 am

No doubt the Oryx would make sense over double paying for Al Safwa. How much do they actually the enforce the 6 hour rule? Not the sleeping room 6 hours but just the overall 6 hours staying in the lounge? I had read all these reviews how amazing and luxurious it is so was thinking for $150 it would be nice. However not for $300. I love sit down a la carte restaurants over buffet so was looking forward to that.
Not sure. Maybe someone who has stayed longer than 6hrs can advise if they are strict on the rule.

I had a similar question if I can book for few hours. ISTFlyer suggested maybe I can contact the hotel directly to get rates. I plan to check with hotel directly when I get closer to my trip.

I assume if I did stay at Oryx I can come and go to the lounge as I please and have some food and drinks. Is it simply a 5 minute or so walk from hotel to AM lounge?
Yes you should be able to re-enter as you please. It's about 2min from immigration and 5 min from gates A10/B10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.