Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Me, too. It's the relative peace and quiet of airline lounges (at least compared to any gate area) that I find most attractive about them. The fewer people, the better, for me.
Yes, right, exclusivity is a nice thing, but considering the really small amount of Platinum members in business class flights (I never got knowledge about more than 2 or 3 including myself), the exclusivity in Al Safwa would not be affected significantly, if Platinum members travelling in Business class would be granted to access.
What do you think?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Yes, right, exclusivity is a nice thing, but considering the really small amount of Platinum members in business class flights (I never got knowledge about more than 2 or 3 including myself), the exclusivity in Al Safwa would not be affected significantly, if Platinum members travelling in Business class would be granted to access.
What do you think?
Sure, there are only a small number on each individual flight, but as QR schedules the majority of flights in two banks in the morning and evening I think you’d probably be looking at adding well over a hundred extra people to the lounge at the two busiest times of day. Capacity wise there should be enough seating, but it would be a very different place.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sure, there are only a small number on each individual flight, but as QR schedules the majority of flights in two banks in the morning and evening I think you’d probably be looking at adding well over a hundred extra people to the lounge at the two busiest times of day. Capacity wise there should be enough seating, but it would be a very different place.
Yes, maybe your numbers are right and maybe it would be a different place...but it is a big place... ;-) so I guess it would be ongoing "exclusive", but I am mjust guessing.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
What do you think?
I think this is a sensible and feasible suggestion. Having read Lost in Translations response , maybe a hybrid offering of so many passes to Al Safwa in a year to enhance your platinum status and on the proviso you are travelling in Business on your next flight.

Remember quite a few people with a 90 minute or less transit slot, do not even bother entering any lounge. So this would cut some of the potential plats for swarming Al Safwa.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I think this is a sensible and feasible suggestion. Having read Lost in Translations response , maybe a hybrid offering of so many passes to Al Safwa in a year to enhance your platinum status and on the proviso you are travelling in Business on your next flight.

Remember quite a few people with a 90 minute or less transit slot, do not even bother entering any lounge. So this would cut some of the potential plats for swarming Al Safwa.
This is true and I'm certainly not against allowing customers in based on status rather than just class of travel, but given the numbers involved I think QR might be better creating an 'Al Safwa Card' like the BA Concorde Card and then setting a Qpoints requirement somewhere above standard Platinum just to ensure it doesn't ultimately become too crowded.

There is something a bit strange about allowing someone who has only ever booked one short-haul F redemption on QR via AA access and then not allowing access to someone who spends $100,000 per year flying QR and happens to be on a long-haul route that doesn't have F!
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:23 am

That sounds like a reasonable approach, but anyhow the situation at the moment is different.
I did fly 100% business in the past 2 years and the tool on the PC website evaluates the frequency on my preferred route as "addicted" ;-), nevertheless the "chance" to buy a first ticket on one leg is very limited, as the A380 rotation on this route mainly does not fit to my time needs.
We heard that some changes will come, let´s see, but considering the past I am not expecting something real enhanced ;-)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I think this is a sensible and feasible suggestion.
Allowing QR PLTs into AS would be a sensible and feasible suggestion; but lost_in_translation is also right in that it would make AS a very different place. And imagine how precipitously one's chances at a sleeping room would drop. Even though I fly F, and thus have AS access, rarely, I sort of like it the way it is.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:42 am

I looked over the past 3 months of posts and I think I know the answer, but can someone confirm.

Award routing...arrive from US, QR J, connecting to MCT, QR F. Looks like a 8-9 hour connection time at DOH depending on my final routing. It appears that I'll have access to AS awaiting the connection, correct?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Correct.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:58 pm

My F flight departs at 08.05. How early can I check in to use the AS lounge? I would like to check in at about 22.00 the previous day and find somewhere to sleep in the lounge. Is this permissible?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greenpen
My F flight departs at 08.05. How early can I check in to use the AS lounge? I would like to check in at about 22.00 the previous day and find somewhere to sleep in the lounge. Is this permissible?
Checking in the previous night should be no problem. As far as finding some place to sleep, you do know about the sleeping rooms, no? They're essentially studio apartments in AS available on a first-come, first-served basis. I used one once and found it perfect, except for the usual lack of ventilation in the shower, which I managed by propping the door open. There's a hard limit of six hours on each use of the room. So maybe get the room from 0000-0600, then get some breakfast before heading to the gate.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Theres a hard limit of 6 hours for staying in a room and also a minimum of 4 hours transfer to be granted a room . I arrived from a Perth flight in F continuing to Beirut in regional F and only wanted a room for a shower . I was refused as my transfer was less than 4 hours and taken to a shower room in the toilets by the family room . Within minutes of entering ,the handle to the door was constantly being tried to see if the room was empty . This coupled with the lack of ventilation left me feeling less than refreshed after a rushed and typically unventilated humid shower (both lounges at hamad) . I complained to the duty manager and asked why I couldnt use a private room . Again I was quoted the rules but also told 5 of the 12 rooms were unoccupied . I could use a room now if I wanted ........ all too late after the event . If I have long layover I can use the Stopover programme so I don't see much value in the sleeping rooms at Al Safwa and I find the whole lounge sterile silent and totally unwelcoming . I've used the lounge many times as I travel regional first but after experiencing Qantas first lounge in Australia I'd rather that experience that than Al Safwa any day .
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crombiestone
If I have long layover I can use the Stopover programme so I don't see much value in the sleeping rooms at Al Safwa ....
I like them because my longer connections there are typically 8-10 hours, with a departure around 8:30 a.m. Get in, say, between 2200 and 0000, go through transfer security and go to the sleeping room and get around 5½ hours of sleep. Early shower and out by 0600 or 0630, leaving just the right amount of time to have some breakfast and get to the gate to board. STPC adds transportation time to and from the hotel, time to check-in, time to check-out, then check-in and security screening on arrival back at the airport, all of which detracts from sleeping time. (Transfer security screening is nearly always measurably quicker than screening when just arriving at the airport.)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:51 am

I'm with Dr. HFH here, the rooms aren't intended for use as a hotel if your layover is comfortably above the period where you would qualify for STPC and when I see people moaning that they are only available for 6 hours it does annoy me a little bit - if you need the room for more than 6 hours then I would suggest you are spending too long in the lounge anyway and a hotel would be a better choice! Equally, if everyone on a two-hour layover had access to them I think there would be a lot people asking for a room 'just to see what they were like' etc. given the curiosity various blogs have created around Al Safwa and the quiet rooms.

They work perfectly for overnight layovers of up to around 8 hours where you sleep for up to 6 hours, with possibly dinner before bed and breakfast in the morning afterwards. I have perhaps been extremely lucky but over maybe 8 overnight connections so far this year where I've needed a room for a nap they have always been available - this is precisely because QR are strict on access and don't give out the rooms just so people on shorter layovers can have a shower in them and chill out.

I also actually prefer the shower in the family area as a shower as I find it slightly better ventilated and the water temperature actually adjusts, unlike the showers in Al Mourjan for instance!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also actually prefer the shower in the family area as a shower as I find it slightly better ventilated and the water temperature actually adjusts, unlike the showers in Al Mourjan for instance!
Ah, I see that you've had the Al Mourjan shower experience where the water temperature adjusts between hot and extremely hot. I've found, not surprisingly, that July and August are the worst for this phenomenon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.