Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 vs A380

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

787 vs A380

I've just returned from a trip to Asia on Qatar Airways and flew four sectors - all in J.

3 x Boeing 787s and 1 x A380.

Before leaving I was particularly looking forward to the A380 - not least for the on-board bar experience.

To be honest - I was truly disappointed.

The bar - while quite a fun gimmick, simply doesn't make up for the sheer lack of intimacy of the business class cabin.

The cabin crew - while perfectly pleasant, just didn't seem able to give the Qatar personal service that I've been so used to when flying with the airline.

My food order wasn't taken until at least 35 minutes after take off from Doha - it then seemed to take a rather long time to arrive.

(The food itself also wasn't up to the standards I expect - but that's for a different thread)

Strange as it sounds, despite the seat - I almost felt cramped in the cabin. The CC seemed reluctant to offer me the turndown service. And it was generally far too hot in my seat.

Also - I know this has been mentioned before - but the cabin environment simply isn't as good - it terms of pressure. (I've been known to suffer from pressure headaches - and this flight was particularly bad)

The bar... yeah yeah yeah, it serves Krug - but when all's said and done, it's fun for 30 minutes - then gets fairly boring.

Counter that experience with my excellent flights to and from Oslo on the 787 and I will now actively be trying to fly on the Dreamliner where possible.

The feeling of space is excellent - the CC to pax ratio feels much more appropriate - you want for nothing!

(Again, this despite a poor food offering on the DOH - OSL leg)

Oh - and I got off the flight this afternoon - feeling more refreshed than when I got on.

Superb!

Anyone else experienced this?

My two colleagues who I was travelling with both thought exactly the same.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
I agree with you on the 787. I travel to and from ARN to DOH- and the experience is above par. Its more intimate and relax. I will be doing the 787 from ARN-DOH and then A350 from DOH-SIN (first time) in Oct 2015. I hope it will be the same experience. Never been on the A380 but i would assume the level of service would be down a bit due to the massive size of the ship. All in all, QR is a great airline..
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Thanks for the report alfredooo, I didn't like flying the A380 when EK first started using them and I have avoided them ever since. I've not been on a 787 yet and I'm not due on one until September but I'm beginning to look forward to it.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flew on both the 787 and the A380 on Friday, back to back so to speak. I have to disagree with your comments. The A380 felt much more spacious and this is backed up by the extra inch or two of pitch in Business compared to the 787. There it felt like everyone was really crammed in.

I thought that the bar was amazing. Having experienced the bar on the Emirates A380 the Qatar one is in a different league. Like any bar it's no fun just sitting on your own. Use it as an opportunity to talk to people, then you'll get what the bar is all about.

Two things I didn't like so much about the A380. The long unbroken business class cabin and the rear toilets, which are way too small.

Given the choice, I'd pick the A380.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:03 am

I do love the QR 787 in J, but i have to comment that there is virtually no difference in the attainable cabin pressure between the two aircraft. Any difference is 99% likely due to the altitude flown - id almost guarantee if you post the flights up the A380 will have been a few thousand feet higher than the 787s.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I guess it's all subjective.
I am rather with matthandy, a small preference for the A380.
Anyway, as of 2015 I only want to fly either A380 or B787 in J, I should have two more trips from Thailand to Europe this year on QR.

But I just checked AY flying the A359 to BKK as of december at a better price than QR, I might consider them for 2016....
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the 388 much quieter than the 788. I arrive more refreshed (i.e. less travel-weary) on a 388 than on a 788. And it seems to handle turbulence much better, most likely due to the physics of having a much higher mass and inertia.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: TK *G Elite, AZ Gold.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by matthandy
I flew on both the 787 and the A380 on Friday, back to back so to speak. I have to disagree with your comments. The A380 felt much more spacious and this is backed up by the extra inch or two of pitch in Business compared to the 787. There it felt like everyone was really crammed in.

I thought that the bar was amazing. Having experienced the bar on the Emirates A380 the Qatar one is in a different league. Like any bar it's no fun just sitting on your own. Use it as an opportunity to talk to people, then you'll get what the bar is all about.

Two things I didn't like so much about the A380. The long unbroken business class cabin and the rear toilets, which are way too small.

Given the choice, I'd pick the A380.
I agree with you matthandy 100%, wonderful service, great seat, and superb bar where I made a lot of new friends young and old.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
The 787 is a great aircraft, but I find it more noisy than the A380. The A380 is simply fantastic and by far my favourite aircraft. In my opnion there is no comparsion, the A380 wins hands down.
Looking forward to check out tha A350. I hear it's a very silent aircraft as well. Airbus aircraft always feels less noisy and generally more comfortable to me. That goes for both the A320 series and the widebodies. I also prefer A330 to the B777. the B777 is probably my least favourite widebody. I always feel SO tired and jet lagged after a 777-flight, so I actively try to avoid them. Unfortunately it is not always possible.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My preference would be 787 for a night flight due to the more intimate feel, and A380 for a day flight, for the additional space, and the bar!. I've had great experiences on both (in J...), so would be happy to fly on either. I agree that the A380 seems quieter and seems to handle turbulence better however. Really looking forward to trying the A350 next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.