Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveller999
At our last flight, QR826 28. December from DOH to BKK in J class, around mid of the flight the message was given - “the brut Champaign is not available anymore”.
I would then just continue with the rose if still available.

was J cabin full? If everybody was maybe drinking 1 bottle already i understand that its finish in the middle of the flight
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
At our last flight, QR826 28. December from DOH to BKK in J class, around mid of the flight the message was given - “the brut Champaign is not available anymore”. Maybe a small thing, but considering the self highly advertised 5* image (by QR), it’s at least worth to mention.
A year or two ago, shortly after JL began serving Salon 2004 I was politely informed a few hours out of NRT that they no longer had any more as a bottle was needed for the return from JFK; as the only awake F pax (out of two) my two bottle limit was absolute. I believe the Grande Annee was next up and after the two allocated bottles were consumed.... well, you get the drift.

The point is, depending upon how much you quaffed, the unavailability of bubbles is what it is.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:30 am

Hi,
what's the best advice here/or to handle it best:
- for connecting
- though-check of bags

Arrive in BKK at 6.50pm from DOH and planning to catch Bangkok Airways at 8.25pm to Krabi.
Flights are on separate tickets. Flying QR in Business Class.

Is it possible to through-check the bags at point of departure (Berlin, TXL)?
Enough time to make the connection? Go through regular immigration and head to Bangkok Airways check-in counters? Or is there any way of transit-desk?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kacheng
Hi,
- for connecting
- though-check of bags

Arrive in BKK at 6.50pm from DOH and planning to catch Bangkok Airways at 8.25pm to Krabi.

Enough time to make the connection? Go through regular immigration and head to Bangkok Airways check-in counters? Or is there any way of transit-desk?

Thanks
If you get the bags interlined or alternatively arrive on time you've plenty of time. In the former case you can head to the domestic transfer desks at the A/B/C/D confluence, obtain your onward BP (and show your baggage tags) and proceed through the mid-field immigration/security area which dumps you into the A/B domestic area. Barring that you'd need to go through the purgatory that is immigration, barring a Premium Lane access card, grab your bags and head up to level 4.

The first scenario is preferred and easy; the second is doable but potentially stressful.
kacheng likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:56 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
At our last flight, QR826 28. December from DOH to BKK in J class, around mid of the flight the message was given - “the brut Champaign is not available anymore”. Maybe a small thing, but considering the self highly advertised 5* image (by QR), it’s at least worth to mention.
S... happens. It happened to me once flying OZ (also a 5-***** star airline) from ICN to FRA in F. All F seats were taken by folks flying to HAJ for CEBIT...
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Hi,
- for connecting
- though-check of bags

Thanks
Through Check-in - Bangkok Airways

On separate tickets not possible according to this webpage ( - Only single tickets containing the ongoing segment(s) will qualify for Check Through service).

I fly domestic to Udon Thani and usually check in 30 minutes after landing (flying QR J)
Get off the plane first, fast walk (will be long walk) to Premium Lane which can be found in the middle of the two immigration halls, make sure you walk to the separate entry.
Usually J bags arrive when I get at the band (except once had 1 bag missing, took a long time to find out, staff could have tried to locate me as Etihad did one week ago for my son)
Walk to find a lift to upper floor (several lifts left side arrival hall don't stop at arrivals!) and check in domestic.
The day I missed my bag I just made it (short connection), otherwise 30 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tartempion

On separate tickets not possible according to this webpage ( - Only single tickets containing the ongoing segment(s) will qualify for Check Through service).
Quite true excepting that only pertains when checking in with PG - not when "other airline" sends bags to PG - and the query was not about the scenario PG outlines above..
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:20 pm

I fly domestic to Udon Thani and usually check in 30 minutes after landing (flying QR J)
Get off the plane first, fast walk (will be long walk) to Premium Lane which can be found in the middle of the two immigration halls, make sure you walk to the separate entry.
Usually J bags arrive when I get at the band (except once had 1 bag missing, took a long time to find out, staff could have tried to locate me as Etihad did one week ago for my son)
Walk to find a lift to upper floor (several lifts left side arrival hall don't stop at arrivals!) and check in domestic.
The day I missed my bag I just made it (short connection), otherwise 30 minutes.
Thanks a lot. Seems like the 1h35min connection is comfortably doable if flight is on time, which QR 832 very most of the time is.
Though 40min bag drop deadline with Bangkok Airways.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

Udon Thani
Maybe on a QR forum worth pointing out that this is not Japanese Noodles prepared Royal Qatari style.
zat_dude, msm2000uk, Matt4 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: QR Plat
At our last flight, QR826 28. December from DOH to BKK in J class, around mid of the flight the message was given - “the brut Champaign is not available anymore”. Maybe a small thing, but considering the self highly advertised 5* image (by QR), it’s at least worth to mention. This never ever happened in J class in my travel history of st least 30 years...shocking ;-)
Furthermore they did not serve the in the menue shown red snapper, but a salmon - this message was provided a while AFTER taking the orders ...
however - happy new year to all of you :-)
The annoying part here is the term "brut". For some reason someone in QR training seems to insist they call the blanc by the term "brut". Currently even the menu and the bottles in J clearly states that both the blanc and the rose are both brut.

-A
synd and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Crisu69
I would then just continue with the rose if still available.

was J cabin full? If everybody was maybe drinking 1 bottle already i understand that its finish in the middle of the flight
thats what I did ;-)

yes J was full, even i did not had the impression that so much passengers were awake....it was a 787
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
The annoying part here is the term "brut". For some reason someone in QR training seems to insist they call the blanc by the term "brut". Currently even the menu and the bottles in J clearly states that both the blanc and the rose are both brut.

-A
Thank you for that hint - I was not aware of this fact
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Smile

Hi,
- for connecting
- though-check of bags

Thanks

Hi Kacheng. On the QR website, QR market TXl KBV - via BKK in one combination- with QR 4369, BKK KBV 20:25 21:50 as the QR codeshare connector flight to KBV from your QR DOH BKK flight. Bangkok Airways (PG) operate this flight as PG 0269 BKK KBV.

Since Bangkok Airways flight is also a QR code-share, you may be in luck with your separate PG PNR. and highly likely to be able to through check bags to KBV from TXL This assumes however, that (i) you are transiting in DOHA on QR, and (ii) not stopping over in DOH.

For Thai immigration clearance in BKK you would likely be directed to the small BKK airport Immigration counter to clear immigration nearby the PG transit desk around the ABC concourses. Not to the main immigration zoo. Immigration clearance would not be done at Krabi - only your through checked bags will need to be customs cleared in Krabi at the international terminal. You should be bussed in Krabi to the KBV International terminal to collect your bags and to then clear them. At the PG Transit desk in BKK, your BP would be issued - as mentioned above by dsquared37: assuming your bags are already through checked in TXL to KBV. Do ensure you have the baggage tags to show to PG in BKK.

By way of interest..Bangkok Airways; Flyer Bonus FF prog and Qatar Airways Privilege Club have teamed up in Nov 2017. So, you should be able to credit the PG flight to QR Privilege Club. This may help with the bags in TXL
https://flyerbonus.bangkokair.com/ne...irwaysAnnounce

Have fun in Krabi: cool:...
kacheng likes this.

Last edited by AVIATORPJ; Jan 6, 2018 at 9:08 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
I've been checking out some of the offers to BKK. I have noticed a new flight. QR 980. Departure 0155 Arrival 12.55 into BKK on 787. Is this a new flight or maybe an error on the website? I've checked the cargo schedule and it also lists this flight
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by AVIATORPJ
For Thai immigration clearance in BKK you would likely be directed to the small BKK airport Immigration counter to clear immigration nearby the PG transit desk around the ABC concourses. Not to the main immigration zoo. Immigration clearance would not be done at Krabi - only your through checked bags will need to be customs cleared in Krabi at the international terminal. You should be bussed in Krabi to the KBV International terminal to collect your bags and to then clear them. At the PG Transit desk in BKK, your BP would be issued - as mentioned above by dsquared37: assuming your bags are already through checked in TXL to KBV. Do ensure you have the baggage tags to show to PG in BKK.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
At the immigration nearby PG transit desk, is there as well the Business Class Fast-Trak?

Got in touch with QR Twitter team aswell and it all reads positive to me:
Since you hold two separate tickets, present both tickets at Berlin and advise our check-in counter staff that you wish to transfer your baggage to the last destination. Our team will check if the flight with Bangkok Airways is open for online check-in and if it is, will label and tag your baggage till Krabi. However, if the flight is not open for check-in, you will have to pick your luggage from Bangkok and transfer to your next connecting flight. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.