Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: LH HON | UA 1K
Is it possible to upgrade a flight JNB-DOH-MUC in booking class N with miles / points at all?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Alisamix
Is it possible to upgrade a flight JNB-DOH-MUC in booking class N with miles / points at all?
Yes, if it is available, you can do it through your QRPC dashboard. Alternatively, if it is unavailable, you can try to do it at the airport.

For the airport option, you will only be able to upgrade your next leg, so you could upgrade JNB-DOH in JNB, then upgrade DOH-MUC in DOH.

You can check the rate using the Qcalculator.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...alculator.html
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ft101
Do you mean Seat Alerts from expertflyer? If so, my experience is that it loses visibility either when the flight goes under airport control or when check in opens, so wouldn't be much use in this case. YMMV.
You're quite right, I meant Seat Alerts!

Used it with 4 QR flights in the last week including a very last minute aircraft type swap and it worked fine until at least when I checked it at boarding.
ft101 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade
Those who fly QR on revenue, which FFP do you credit the miles to?
Wife and I have our first international trip in years, BLR-DOH-JFK-CMH in about two weeks, I'm relocating back to states.
Any suggestions on where to bank the miles? I'm thinking AS or AA or BA or QR.

I have done some research and still confused.With Alaska - I earn 125% miles flown as elite miles and 225% redeemable miles. However requires 2 flights on AS metal to qualify for MVP but being in states this is doable. But I earn 11375 Elite miles. MVP requires only 20K EQMs.

With American - I earn 125% miles flown as loyalty points. i.e. 11375 but need 18625 LPs more to become Gold.

With British - I earn 125% miles flown as redeemable miles but 220 Tier points. (according to my BA account, I only need 225 points to qualify for Bronze status i.e. OW Ruby) However require 2 flights on BA metal, and my next flight on BA will be 7-8 months away.
As for wife - she doesnt care about elite status, and I'm thinking to bank miles to QR and eventually transfer them to BA Avios where we have a family/household account.

AA's Gold is now more enticing since it now allows upgrades on all AA continental domestic flights and eventually companions for free later this year.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:18 am

Mercifully, I received an upgrade offer for my 14 hour flight. It was several days' pay, but it beats needing a freaking doctor to straighten me back out when I land.

However: I paid half an hour ago, got my receipt, and everything online still shows economy. Can only see the main cabin on the map; no options to pick a meal. How long does it take for an upgrade like this to process?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:49 am

As annoying as it is to call the call center I would recommend doing soo to pick the seat and meal if you are worried about it. It might not ever allow you to do so online.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Giovanniwants
As annoying as it is to call the call center I would recommend doing soo to pick the seat and meal if you are worried about it. It might not ever allow you to do so online.
I wouldn't say I'm worried about it, as literally any seat in that cabin is infinitely better than where I was. More just anxious about the fact that my booking does not seem to reflect that I've purchased the upgrade.

edit: just looked again, and now that flight is literally missing from my itinerary. (It's a three-flight leg, and the one I upgraded is just....gone.)

Last edited by pitweasel1; Mar 8, 2022 at 9:51 am
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by pitweasel1
I wouldn't say I'm worried about it, as literally any seat in that cabin is infinitely better than where I was. More just anxious about the fact that my booking does not seem to reflect that I've purchased the upgrade.

edit: just looked again, and now that flight is literally missing from my itinerary. (It's a three-flight leg, and the one I upgraded is just....gone.)
Sounds like a positive step.. in the sense that something has happened. I have no idea how the upgrade system works at QR but it may be it requires manual intervention and this is what you're seeing.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lon3volf
Those who fly QR on revenue, which FFP do you credit the miles to?
(Snip)
AA's Gold is now more enticing since it now allows upgrades on all AA continental domestic flights and eventually companions for free later this year.
Your last paragraph really gives you your answer. Whilst analysis of what you can get as credits is useful, you should probably focus on how you can get the most value from the credit which really depends on who you fly with and your opportunity to redeem the points, existing value in that scheme, etc.

You might want to consult this thread... Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
lon3volf likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:03 am

Yet another seat booking problem

I am flying EDI-DOH-PER at the end of April, unfortunately finances dictated that I went for an economy classic fare :-(

I paid the extra to pick my seats and have gone for aisle seats on all flights - my plan was that I would monitor other bookings and move my seat around to try and get the seat next to me free. However whilst my seat selection is showing in the Qatar app & on their website it does not show the option to change my seat or view a seat map. I have worked through the manage my booking in all the other OW websites, some showed my booking and seat selection and others could not find it.

I have set up an Expert Flyer account so can see the seat map and free seats in that.

Should I be able to move my seat online when I have paid like this or when you pay to book your seat does that mean you pick one and you can not change it. Is phoning the only way to move my seats (if needed)?

ps - I have read through most recent posts on here and can not find this specific question, but please point me toward another thread if this has been answered there already!!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Is there any significant drawback to booking Qatar fares via a travel agent (e.g. Amex Travel) vs. direct? (e.g. lack of seat selection or other disabled features?)

I'm looking at some "Business Comfort (I)" fares from Europe to Australia mid year and Amex is pricing about £100 cheaper as a "Platinum Cardmember Benefit" - the fare classes are the same.

Also am I right in believing that these fares will qualify for the Al Mourjan lounge regardless of whether the Business/First lounges have re-opened by then? I'm a OWE but think the AM lounge is meant to be far superior to the First status lounge.

Weirdly fares seem significantly cheaper using open jaw origins rather than a return, so departing from FRA and returning to OSL looks the most cost effective at the moment, but if anyone has any tips on places to search from that'd also be brilliant
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Is there any significant drawback to booking Qatar fares via a travel agent (e.g. Amex Travel) vs. direct? (e.g. lack of seat selection or other disabled features?)
I've used Amex Travel for the majority of my QR bookings and nothing is restricted. The only real difference is you have to speak/chat to Amex Travel in the event of needing to change dates or cancel etc but that really is no bother. To be honest I quite often book via Amex because they're easier to deal with than Qatar directly.
Also am I right in believing that these fares will qualify for the Al Mourjan lounge regardless of whether the Business/First lounges have re-opened by then? I'm a OWE but think the AM lounge is meant to be far superior to the First status lounge.
The business/first status lounge concept appears to be no more and are being replaced with the Silver and Gold lounges. But you're okay, "i" class gets you into Al Mourjan.

Weirdly fares seem significantly cheaper using open jaw origins rather than a return, so departing from FRA and returning to OSL looks the most cost effective at the moment, but if anyone has any tips on places to search from that'd also be brilliant
There's no real method to finding the best option. Usually I pop my desired itinerary into Google Flights and that is a quick option to quickly find what could be the cheapest option. I went out of AMS and into OSL on my last QR ex-EU and it's very common for me to mix and match. You just need to search different destinations as not all fares are made equal!
pythonisman likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Thanks very much for that- that's really helpful.
Indeed out of AMS and back to OSL was what I originally looked at, but had a ~21hr layover in DOH. As it was the shortest connection initially I thought using the free transit hotel option could be good, but it looks like it might be on hiatus at the moment (unless I misunderstood their website) as well as potentially needing multiple COVID tests we thought going in one hit might be a bit less stress.

Leaving FRA instead (same old 77W equipment, fine for a short day flight for 2 pax) is a shade cheaper and only a 3hr connection in either direction which is decent. Will be our first QR/Q suite experience (on the long legs to SYD) and looking forward to it!
Schwann likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:34 am

My grand mother is on DOH-LAX flight tonight, and her english is not very good, is there any hints that I can proivide her regrading choosing her meals, appetizer , dessert?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
My grand mother is on DOH-LAX flight tonight, and her english is not very good, is there any hints that I can proivide her regrading choosing her meals, appetizer , dessert?
Is there a chance her first language might be spoken by a member of the crew? That could make things easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.