Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by crusing777
hey
I am wondering what is the best way to request an upgrade with qmiles online or at Hamad airport?
Hey, if your flight is still a few days away, there's no harm in trying for an online upgrade, or you could call the priority hotline and ask there (online upgrade takes a day until you get an answer, telephone is more direct).

If this doesn't work, you can still ask at the airport. They do tend to give out seats more generously at the airport, if there's still space (since it's so close to departure I guess). Good luck!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: qr silver
Next month, will be my first trip on QR A380 , where is the tv box on in y class
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
I have a flight booked SIN-DOH on a 787. When I try to assign a seat in "Manage My Booking", they are all marked as allocated (although I am a OW Emerald and have been able to assign seats for all other sectors). ExpertFlyer shows 1A and 1K as available, but I can't allocate these. Is this usual? Any ideas how to get a seat assigned?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:09 am

Hi Guys,

I booked my Qatar ticket through Vayama and I made a mistake in the last name when I booked it. I have to remove an extra letter on the name.

I contacted Vayama and they contacted Qatar. Qatar is asking me to cancel the ticket and book it again which is costing me $1000 per ticket since I booked the ticket a month back and the new prices have gone way up.

But it is just removing a character. Shouldn't there be an option of doing this without cancelling the ticket and rebooking it? Can someone help me here please.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimcbob
I have a flight booked SIN-DOH on a 787. When I try to assign a seat in "Manage My Booking", they are all marked as allocated (although I am a OW Emerald and have been able to assign seats for all other sectors). ExpertFlyer shows 1A and 1K as available, but I can't allocate these. Is this usual? Any ideas how to get a seat assigned?
The front row seems to be blocked on QR until check in time (even for Emeralds). If you telephone you may be able to get a seat reservation.

Originally Posted by theguacguy
Hi Guys,

I booked my Qatar ticket through Vayama and I made a mistake in the last name when I booked it. I have to remove an extra letter on the name.

I contacted Vayama and they contacted Qatar. Qatar is asking me to cancel the ticket and book it again which is costing me $1000 per ticket since I booked the ticket a month back and the new prices have gone way up.

But it is just removing a character. Shouldn't there be an option of doing this without cancelling the ticket and rebooking it? Can someone help me here please.

Thanks.
A single character error is probably not worth worrying about.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:22 am

Thanks Calchas. Is there a reference which I can mention to the Vayama guys? They are so stubborn that I have to cancel and book again and there is no means of contacting Qatar Airways. (I called Qatar, they just stop the conversation saying that we can't make any decisions, it's Vayama who takes the call. Vayama says it contacted Qatar and this was the response they got "Passenger have to make a new booking based on the current availability and issue the ticket and advise to cancel the existing ticket as per fare rules.")

Am really stranded how to handle this.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theguacguy
Thanks Calchas. Is there a reference which I can mention to the Vayama guys? They are so stubborn that I have to cancel and book again and there is no means of contacting Qatar Airways. (I called Qatar, they just stop the conversation saying that we can't make any decisions, it's Vayama who takes the call. Vayama says it contacted Qatar and this was the response they got "Passenger have to make a new booking based on the current availability and issue the ticket and advise to cancel the existing ticket as per fare rules.")

Am really stranded how to handle this.
I would say informally that a one character difference in the name is unlikely to be important at the airport.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Premier
Hey Everyone,

Traveling on QR for the first time this summer. Quick flight from Abu Dhabi to Doha with a short layover, and then on the A380 to London! A couple of questions:

1. Are meals offered on short flights in Economy, even from Abu Dhabi to Doha?
2. For the A380, I know the upper deck economy seats are reserved for those that have status with QR. Is there a certain time period when these seats open up to non elites and can be assigned?
3. How long do transfers usually take in the new Hamad International? We have about an hour and 10 minutes between flights, but I figured with the A380 normally boarding early it could be a tight connection.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slsgsoccer0201
Hey Everyone,

Traveling on QR for the first time this summer. Quick flight from Abu Dhabi to Doha with a short layover, and then on the A380 to London! A couple of questions:

1. Are meals offered on short flights in Economy, even from Abu Dhabi to Doha?
2. For the A380, I know the upper deck economy seats are reserved for those that have status with QR. Is there a certain time period when these seats open up to non elites and can be assigned?
3. How long do transfers usually take in the new Hamad International? We have about an hour and 10 minutes between flights, but I figured with the A380 normally boarding early it could be a tight connection.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Hello and welcome!

1. Yes, normally a snack service (hot sandwich and cake). Not particularly earth shattering but good for such a short flight.

2. No, only if the lower deck is totally full will they assign non-status pax to the upper deck. If you do somehow manage to reserve upper deck seats without status then you will likely be moved down to lower deck at the airport - so I don't recommend you try!

3. Minimum connecting time is 45 minutes so you should be fine as long as no long delays. If you are delayed then either they will hold the flight (depending how many are delayed and how long for) or they will rebook you onto the next service to LHR without any drama - just look out at security screening for QR staff with boards saying LHR if you are delayed and they will advise you.

Enjoy your flights!!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:28 am

QR Award Blackout?

Newbie here - does QR black out awards completely over certain periods, to partners or everyone? I would need a simple DOH-DXB leg to complete an itinerary at the end of this year, but despite this being a flight that goes many times a day, there is not a single seat in any class of service showing available on BA.com between December 20 and January 6 (starts back up again after that). Also seems like all award availability on long-hauls to the US is gone around roughly this period as well.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Newbie here - does QR black out awards completely over certain periods, to partners or everyone? I would need a simple DOH-DXB leg to complete an itinerary at the end of this year, but despite this being a flight that goes many times a day, there is not a single seat in any class of service showing available on BA.com between December 20 and January 6 (starts back up again after that). Also seems like all award availability on long-hauls to the US is gone around roughly this period as well.
Not sure if they do a blanket black out but those dates are normally also excluded from sale fares so it is likely.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by purple1addict
Hello and welcome!

1. Yes, normally a snack service (hot sandwich and cake). Not particularly earth shattering but good for such a short flight.

2. No, only if the lower deck is totally full will they assign non-status pax to the upper deck. If you do somehow manage to reserve upper deck seats without status then you will likely be moved down to lower deck at the airport - so I don't recommend you try!

3. Minimum connecting time is 45 minutes so you should be fine as long as no long delays. If you are delayed then either they will hold the flight (depending how many are delayed and how long for) or they will rebook you onto the next service to LHR without any drama - just look out at security screening for QR staff with boards saying LHR if you are delayed and they will advise you.

Enjoy your flights!!
Thank you so much for your help @purple1addict !
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slsgsoccer0201
Thank you so much for your help @purple1addict !
Also to add, your AAdvantage status (if you have any) will be honoured by QR as a fellow member of oneworld. I am not sure if it extends to upper deck seating though.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Does QR offer upgrades at the airport from business to first? If so, any idea what business to first LHR-DOH normally costs (or will it simply be the difference in published fare)?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:04 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
I expect to start a short-term assignment in Doha during January. My employer will unfortunately only provide economy class flights. I will be travelling from London to Doha and have Oneworld (BA) Sapphire status. Since I will need to take quite a lot of luggage with me on my first trip and having never flown QR, I would especially value this forum's advice regarding the luggage situation on QR:

1. I believe the standard QR luggage allowance from LHR-DOH in Economy is 30kg. I assume I can check-in multiple bags within this weight limit?

2. From the Oneworld website it says that Sapphire members should receive an additional 15kg luggage allowance. So I assume I should have no problems checking-in up to 45kg of hold luggage?

3. Does QR strictly enforce the standard Economy hand luggage limit (7kg)? Does this also apply for Oneworld frequent fliers? How strict are they?

4. If there was a reasonable price to upgrade my ticket from Economy to Business I would consider paying the difference. Does QR ever offer reasonably priced paid-for upgrades when space is available in the same way that other airlines (e.g. BA) do? Would this potentially impact the flexibility of the return ticket (e.g. would a fully flexible Y ticket upgraded to J impact the flexibility of the return Y sector)?

Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome!
Thanks again for the helpful responses received from my original post. I promised to provide some feedback based on my actual experience. So here I go ...

As expected there were no issues with checking in multiple bags. I did call QR in advance to double check that the additional Oneworld FF luggage allowance benefit would be honoured and they confirmed it would be. My hold bags weighed in around 38kg in total and I had no issues at check-in.

The check-in agent at LHR did ask me to put my hand-luggage on the baggage scale, but I think this was more to allow her to place a blue tag on the bag, rather than focusing on the weight (which was just on the 7kg allowance anyway). Also no issues about my small additional laptop bag, which was also tagged.

I didn't receive any upgrade offers, nor did I pro-actively enquire about any.

Overall I enjoyed my first QR experience. Travelled on the A380 in the small economy section at the rear of the upper deck. Great entertainment system. Food was good enough. Could have done with an extra bar service, but the crew were attentive when additional drinks were requested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.