Search

I find it unfair

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
I find it unfair

I am trying to book a award ticket on a ELAL flight with my Qantas points

it is not possible to do it online, it is possible to do only by the telephone, and I am still being charged the extra miles for a telephone booking

In my opinion it is unfair to charge for a telephone booking, when i am not being given the option of booking online
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:35 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL
I am trying to book a award ticket on a ELAL flight with my Qantas points

it is not possible to do it online, it is possible to do only by the telephone, and I am still being charged the extra miles for a telephone booking

In my opinion it is unfair to charge for a telephone booking, when i am not being given the option of booking online
ELAL, you're certainly not the only one who thinks this way (I certainly agree). There have been reports of people being able to have the fees waived in cases like this, but it seems to be a bit hit-and-miss.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Another example of Qantas inconsistancy.

I think the rule should be simple:
If you can book it online - telephone booking charge
If you cannot book it online - no telephone booking charge
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Especially since in the oneworld recent celebrations where the CEO professed that dealing with any one of the member airlines would be seamless throughout the group.

Just more BLAH BLAH BLAH
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I had this issue booking a J award through to Halifax(YYZ) via JFK. Even though it was the same points to either JFK or YYZ; I would still be charged the 2500 if I booked to YYZ as that had to be done by phone.

After 2 calls and a supervisor I had it waived. The supervisor did agree it wasn't entirely fair.

Not sure that going through this every time you need to book an award tic, where destination hasn't been loaded to online bookings is good PR. Would it really be an issue to upload all OW destinations onto the system??

If any QF bods who are part of this forum could respond would be great or perhaps take it up internally.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes it sucks but QFF is hardly alone in doing this.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Especially since in the oneworld recent celebrations where the CEO professed that dealing with any one of the member airlines would be seamless throughout the group.

Just more BLAH BLAH BLAH
Ummm, when did El Al join oneworld?

Dave
Old May 1, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: QF WP, SPG Plat again and non elite member of many
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
I had this issue booking a J award through to Halifax(YYZ) via JFK. Even though it was the same points to either JFK or YYZ
Did you mean Halifax, Nova Scotia (YHZ) or Toronto (Pearson) Ontario - YYZ
Although one of my favorite cities in Canada, Halifax is not a major destination like Toronto (which is one of the selections on Qantas award bookings online).

Also, American Eagle services YHZ (Halifax) from JFK, and American Eagle do not necessarily have biz class on some flights to smaller destinations.
Old May 1, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by TravelTil
Did you mean Halifax, Nova Scotia (YHZ) or Toronto (Pearson) Ontario - YYZ
Although one of my favorite cities in Canada, Halifax is not a major destination like Toronto (which is one of the selections on Qantas award bookings online).

Also, American Eagle services YHZ (Halifax) from JFK, and American Eagle do not necessarily have biz class on some flights to smaller destinations.
Hi, I stand corrected. Indeed it's YHZ. Halifax definitely appears in the Australian Way mag route map as a destination with a line from JFK to YHZ-giving it semi major city status worthy of online booking capability I would have thought?

Not sure I understand your point re J class on EA but for the record they don't have J on the Emb regional jets but the 744 from SYD-JFK does
Old May 1, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
I booked an award flight on CX (TPE-HKG) through the QF call centre as I couldn't make it work online. They were initially going to charge but she was very nice and had this waived as I couldn't do it online. So definitely is possible!
Old May 2, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by thadocta
Ummm, when did El Al join oneworld?

Dave
I was really referencing difficulties with CX, JL and other oneworld members and those many destinations that are not available online and the telephone fee.

Although last year when there were issues booking MXP-LHR-BOS online I phoned and was successful in having fee waived.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Although last year when there were issues booking MXP-LHR-BOS online I phoned and was successful in having fee waived.
Has anybody managed to waive this fee, when booking with a non one world partner (ELAL in my case), as the website only shows one world partner airlines?

I've actualy just made a booking and was charged, what's the best way to get it refunded?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:23 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I've had the points waived when making award booking to the Middle East on BA, which aren't listed in the drop down menus. I stated that it couldn't be booked online, and asked politely for the fee to be waived.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Anything with QF over the phone is a rip off other than complaints / things which will work in your favour.
They charge $60 or 2.5k points just to speak to someone.

Rip off.

For things which they cannot offer on their website there should be no charges (eg points redemption as identified by the OP, multi city bookings not in the cheapest fare bucket offered online, etc...)
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david870mdg
Anything with QF over the phone is a rip off other than complaints / things which will work in your favour.
They charge $60 or 2.5k points just to speak to someone.

Rip off.

For things which they cannot offer on their website there should be no charges (eg points redemption as identified by the OP, multi city bookings not in the cheapest fare bucket offered online, etc...)
I'll try and write to them asking for them to refund the 2500 miles, and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.