Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar NZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
I've flown Pacific Blue a few times just to see what they are like.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Why not? I wouldn't personally do it unless I got <$20 fares each way...would rather spend the money on grabaseat fares to get NZ status points, but I will definitely be taking a JQ flight in Nov/Dec just to compare.
$19 fares are a good excuse to go to WLG for lunch then nip home at 3pm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Booked! Please JQ made the booking process shorter, i dont want to have to be asked a Million Questions and options for a simple $38return day trip.

Seat map was very empty for my flight.

Oh And the tag line in there emails "Let's do it again soon!" so tacky
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
No surpirses about this article

Check-in rules rile Jetstar passengers
Jetstar passengers have been stung by the airline's strict check-in rules, with some forced to fork out for new tickets on flights out of Auckland.

About 30 people travelling to Wellington and Christchurch yesterday morning were barred from checking in at Auckland's domestic terminal, when the airline refused to check in anyone later than half an hour before departure.

Several passengers said they showed up right on the 30-minute mark but were told they were too late to join the check-in queue. Kiosks for electronic check-ins were disabled for their flights at the same time.

Simon Westaway, head of corporate relations for Jetstar, said it was up to customers to make sure they were on time.

"We are a low-cost, value-driven airline, and we need to ensure that the plane leaves on time. That's how aviation works. If they're late, they're late."

Jetstar's New Zealand launch last week was marred by delays of up to two hours that snowballed from a ground equipment glitch in Wellington.

Auckland businesswoman Candace Borchert said people who travelled regularly on business expected flexibility when it came to checking in. "I think it's only fair that Jetstar make their terms and conditions much clearer, because on every other airline you can check in almost 10 minutes before the flight.

"We've got about 70 sales staff who travel regularly I've already spoken to our PA and we won't be using Jetstar."

Christchurch student Shaan Antunovich said she understood flight staff were working to strict deadlines, but was surprised by their attitude. By the time she made it to the front of the queue, the 30-minute deadline had passed.

"They were so unhelpful the man who took my ticket just said, `Yeah, we've shut it'. I wouldn't have minded if they were apologetic or if we were really late if someone came along with 10 minutes left thinking they'll be able to walk in I'd understand, but there was still half an hour."

Ms Antunovich and Ms Borchert both paid for later flights to Christchurch with other airlines.

A Jetstar spokeswoman said it was the airline's policy to comb queues for passengers on impending flights, but anyone not in the queue by that time was considered late for their flight.

Other domestic airlines have more flexible policies. Air New Zealand asks that passengers arrive at check-in 30 minutes before takeoff, but a spokeswoman said "some discretion" was allowed.

Passengers could be allowed to board the aircraft up to 15 minutes before the flight was due to depart.

Pacific Blue would check passengers in up to 20 minutes before departure and would do its best to accommodate late arrivals, a spokesman said.
stuff
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Jetstar eyes Whenuapai

Budget airline Jetstar is urging the New Zealand Government to open up Whenuapai air force base as a secondary airport.

Jetstar chief executive Bruce Buchanan said opening up defence bases near Auckland, Sydney, and Adelaide and would promote competition that could reduce charges at existing airports, The Australian reported.

Mr Buchanan pointed to the impact of Avalon airport on Melbourne, and the Gold Coast on Brisbane, as examples of secondary airports having modified the way the major incumbents operated.

"Competition is a wonderful driver of behaviour in the industry," he said as Jetstar launched its New Zealand operations this week. Owned by Qantas, Jetstar yesterday started flying between Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington and Queenstown, replacing Qantas flights.
Mr Mapp scrapped the previous government's plans to move the Air Force from Whenuapai to Ohakea in the middle of the North Island, and rejected any suggestion it could become a civilian airport.

Ad Feedback "The base at Whenuapai is going to stay as an air force base and there will not be civil scheduled air services out of it," he said. "That is an absolute commitment."

The Government has plans to upgrade the runway at Whenuapai, laid in 1940 at the same time as the Ohakea runway, which was recently ripped up and replaced at a cost of about $20 million.
Full article at stuff
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I don't think Qantas were ever that flexible either (perhaps a little, not much) - although having said that the policy was 20 minutes before departure for bag drop, not 30 minutes as per Jetstar policy.

Any doorstop who thinks that they can honestly check-in to a flight (more so with checked baggage) within 10 minutes of departure has got to be kidding themselves. (I don't care about the anecdotal evidence - call them lucky).

Is 30 minutes before departure for bag drop deadline a huge culture shock for travelling Kiwis?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

On the contrary many times I have turned up 15 minutes before departure on QF and still been allowed to fly. With Air NZ it is more like 10 minutes. So yes, 30 minutes is a big deal (especially in Auckland due to traffic problems).
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
On the contrary many times I have turned up 15 minutes before departure on QF and still been allowed to fly. With Air NZ it is more like 10 minutes. So yes, 30 minutes is a big deal (especially in Auckland due to traffic problems).
To drop bags and/or without having OLCI'ed?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

No bags - you know I don't check any in, and no need to OLCI on NZ. Check in is done at the gate via the RFID tag.

For QF sometimes OLCI'ed and sometimes not.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:52 pm

It's not as bad as Tiger Airways, who won't let people in the check-in line 45 mins before scheduled departure time. At least they will let you check-in if you're waiting in the line though.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Checked bags are an important point.

One can OLCI with JQ and simply be at the gate before boarding closes.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No bags - you know I don't check any in, and no need to OLCI on NZ. Check in is done at the gate via the RFID tag.
Well then the "culture shock" question remains standing (my original statement pertained to people who needed to check-in and/or drop bags - if you had already OLCI'ed and had no checked bags then there are no deadlines for you to meet except to make it to the gate, of which I'm sure would not physically close until at earliest T-5 minutes for a domestic flight).

I think it is an interesting statement by Ms Borchert about how she could turn up 10 minutes before a flight and expect to be checked in; more so when she says that she is a typical "business person who expects flexibility", then chooses to fly a Mickey Mouse airline (as well as displaying her flagrant ignorance of the differences between full and low cost carrier models and operating paradigms).

In any case, what do you mean you never check any bags in? You're gonna have to some time....

Also, big at JQ re: the Avalon anecdote. I'm surprised at the apparent "success" of using AVV vs. MEL for a couple of key JQ flights. Unless the tourism (what tourism? ) and/or business of Geelong is sustaining that market.....

Last edited by anat0l; Jun 15, 2009 at 8:09 pm
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by anat0l
Well then the "culture shock" question remains standing (my original statement pertained to people who needed to check-in and/or drop bags - if you had already OLCI'ed and had no checked bags then there are no deadlines for you to meet except to make it to the gate, of which I'm sure would not physically close until at earliest T-5 minutes for a domestic flight).

I think it is an interesting statement by Ms Borchert about how she could turn up 10 minutes before a flight and expect to be checked in; more so when she says that she is a typical "business person who expects flexibility", then chooses to fly a Mickey Mouse airline (as well as displaying her flagrant ignorance of the differences between full and low cost carrier models and operating paradigms).
I think most Kiwi's fully understand the 30 minute cut off point for flights. All 3 domestic airlines in New Zealand have 30 minute before departure cut-off point. The problem that the people in the article had was the fact that they were in the check-in line 30 minutes before departure and JQ still refused to check them in...then JQ states that policy is that anyone in the line is still eligible as long as they joined the check in line at least 30min before departure.

I do agree though that if you turn up past the cut-off point you have absolutely no reason to blame the airline if they don't let you check-in for flight. If the airline lets you check-in past the cut-off point then that's a bonus...but if they don't then you can't complain stating that other airlines let you do it or that it has happened before. If you want guaranteed check-in then make sure you are there 30min before.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I think most Kiwi's fully understand the 30 minute cut off point for flights. All 3 domestic airlines in New Zealand have 30 minute before departure cut-off point. The problem that the people in the article had was the fact that they were in the check-in line 30 minutes before departure and JQ still refused to check them in...then JQ states that policy is that anyone in the line is still eligible as long as they joined the check in line at least 30min before departure.

I do agree though that if you turn up past the cut-off point you have absolutely no reason to blame the airline if they don't let you check-in for flight. If the airline lets you check-in past the cut-off point then that's a bonus...but if they don't then you can't complain stating that other airlines let you do it or that it has happened before. If you want guaranteed check-in then make sure you are there 30min before.
I agree that this is a problem, and anecdotal evidence from JQ in Australia confirms some of this, too.

The problem also extends to whether people who are struggling at a kiosk considered to be "in the check-in line". And of course, how do you regulate the line of people at T-30 minutes such that those who are already in line get checked in but others who try and "sneak" into the line after T-30 don't? And then...you have the issue when late pax argue that, "There was still a line, I joined the line, even though I'm late you're still checking in passengers, so what's the big deal?"

The article is ill-framed (once again, although I'm not sure how the NZ press compares to the AU press); I certainly got the impression that some of these pax were presumptuously suggesting that they have been able to check-in at T-n minutes (where n is some unreasonable number less than 20 or 30, depending on airline and whether you had bags to drop or not).
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l
...how do you regulate the line of people at T-30 minutes such that those who are already in line get checked in but others who try and "sneak" into the line after T-30 don't?
At terminals that use common check-in for multiple flights, Jetstar has a Queue & Closing Flights person pulling all relevant passengers out of the main queue and sending them aside to a different queue (or double queuing directly at the check-in desk). By T-30, all passengers who arrived before the cut off (for the now closed flight) will no longer be in the original queue. I have witnessed this multiple times for International & Domestic Australia, I assume Domestic NZ would be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.