Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel suggestion in BNE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Hotel suggestion in BNE

Looking to all the BNE based FT's to suggest a hotel near BNE for April.

My husband and I will be flying from HTI - BNE in April and can't leave for LAX until the next day due to the arrival time from HTI.

I am interested in staying fairly close to the airport or at least in a hotel that is convenient to travel to/from with public transportation. I am not concerned in staying at a particular chain as I have no status with any. I would though like one that I may book online rather than phone.

I searched the web but I am not familiar with the area or airport location.

I know from reading there are many FT's in the BNE area. Thank you in advance.

Cejkwj
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:17 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
There is only one hotel close to the airport - Formule One Hotel and it's next to a roundabout near Airport Drive - click on "Location Map" on lnk above. There is nothing to see and do and not easy to access public transport to anywhere (as it is a light industrial area).

There are plenty of 2 and 3 star motels (Flag branded etc) within the suburbs close to the airport...you may be able to access Brisbane City Council buses (as well as taxi's).

Don't forget the airport is only 13kms (8 miles) from the City Centre and easily accessible by train (AUD$11 per person) or taxi (approx AUD$25) from the Airport - similar set up to AirTrain at JFK (where you walk across parking lot to access AirTrain) and it's 8 or 9 stops into town on an airconditioned electric train.

There are plenty of good hotels in BNE close to transport (ie. Sheraton is atop Central Station)....anyway, enough as an entree...give us more of an idea as to $$$ value you are prepared to go to.

As it sounds like you have QF25 outbound (11.55am) and we don't have as vigorous security checks as in USA, allow 90 mins for check-in, customs/immigration and security clearance.

(edited to fix UBB)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

QF WP - thanks for your prompt response. Our flight from HTI arrives in the afternoon then out on QF 25 as you suspected the next day. This is the end of our trip to Australia. As Brisbane city is rather close, do you recommend staying there? Or stay at the Formula One hotel and travel into the city? What is it like at night? I'm not a night owl, but we would like to get a decent meal - nothing fancy. I would not hesitate to pay up to $125 US for the night.

My priorities when selecting a hotel:
1. Cleanliness, 2. Location/Easy transportation to/from, then 3. Price.

As we are just passing through, is there anything downtown that would be worth the trip even though we don't have a lot of time?

I enjoyed your trip report.

Thanks again,

cejkwj

Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:52 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Having stayed at the Holiday Inn on top of Roma Street Station I can say it's certainly conviniently located transport wise to get to and from the airport (it's the station that the Airport train starts from/terminates at). Certainly not as flash as the Sheraton, but it's clean and neat - all you'd expect from a Holiday Inn . There's not so much life down that part of town though, you'll find more dining options around the Sheraton. But another option to keep in mind anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You have plenty of time to spend a night in the city.

We stayed at the Hilton. It's a great location, and as a Gold, the lounge had a great breakfast.

I recall paying around $160 AUD in December.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:07 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
If you can afford to stay in Brisbane city, then do. You will have plenty of time for a stroll around the city and a nice meal. For a nice stroll, look for the Southbank and/or Roma Street parklands. These are within easy walking distance from all city hotels.

The taxi fare from to/from the city is low and economical for 2 or more people. Best options close to the trains have already been mentions, with majot hotels built atop the two main city train stations - Central and Roma Street.

The Brisbane Hilton is right in the centre of town facing the Queen St Mall. There are some mid-cost hotels as well that represent good value, such as the Lennon's Country Comfort. Other quality hotels are Royal on the Park (near the botanic gardens, a few block from city centre) or Carlton Crest (has this one changed names again) near King George Square.

As QF WP said, we can be more specific if we know the budget or what things takes your interest (eg restaurants, pool, shopping, gardens/parklands etc).
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Recent posters thank you for all of your prompt replies and information.

I have decided to stay in the city as most of your have indicated - it is close and there are many places for dinner.

What would your top three choices be?

US $125-150 is my limit - although, this is an award trip so hotel cost is not as much of a factor since we are flying for free. As I posted before, I don't have any status with any hotel chains.

As far as what we would like to do for the evening - my husband and I are 33. He likes to drink beer - life of the party, me more reserved - designated driver. I'm open for any suggestions.

Once again, thanks to all. Your posts have been very informative.

A little off topic, How do you edit posts?

cejkwj

Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:42 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
cejkwj, thought you'd still be on-line.

Well, I certainly don't recommend Formule One for the night-life, the closest is around 2kms away.

With a budget like that, you could get online deals for just about any decent 3, 4 or 5* hotel in BNE.

For ones that are close to transport (say, train), BNE Sheraton would be my pick (both from proximity as well as possibly within yuor budget). Others in BNE (further down-town and thus taxi/minibus service to airport come into their own), so see this Brisbane 5* Accomodation link.

If you are looking for a lazy afternoon in BNE centrally, I would suggest:

1. Walk in Botanical Gardens
2. Take the RiverCattour of Brisbane (fast catamarans on the River)
3. Roma Street Parklands
4. Visit Southbank (over the river from CBD)

Further info about what's on in Brisbane here or here

Hope this helps further...

Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:54 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Try www.wotif.com - plenty in your budget:

Royal on the Park - good spot near the botanical gardens, good pub
Royal Albert right in the middle of town, a little bit noisy though
Carlton Crest another one right in town

If your husband likes beers - well where do you start?

(Edited to add - the www.wotif.com prices are in A$ - so x 0.77 to convert to US$)

[This message has been edited by willyroo (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:01 pm

Highly recommend the hilton esp if you are a HH gold or diamond, best breakfast and evening canapes and drinks. in the middle of the mall... always get a bottle of wine, chocolates, fruit basket, bottled water and a thank you letter whenever I stay there.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:05 pm

To edit messages, place your mouse pointer over the page+pencil icon next to your post details (date & time). Then click on it. Your original message will come up....change away, then press "Submit". It will take you back to the topic with the changes made
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:10 pm

kawoh and channa, original post included:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I am not concerned in staying at a particular chain as I have no status with any</font>
so they are unlikely to get any "special" benefits like you do. What they are looking for is hotels that are:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">My priorities when selecting a hotel:
1. Cleanliness, 2. Location/Easy transportation to/from, then 3. Price.</font>
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:31 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
I stayed in the BNE Marriott once - the rooms were clean/well-presented, the brunch breakfast was really yummy, but the highlight was definetly the Dome Spa located in the hotel - their "Dome signature facial" is to die for. Of course you can still go to the Dome Spa if you are not staying there. It would be a relaxing way to start the day before the trip! Also the hotel has a fabulous (if slightly small) pool. There is a bar close by called the Orient Hotel, it's nothing special but it does have beer. :-) Also two really great restaurants are very near this hotel- E'cco and Circa. Both are really great, in fact E'cco is frequently rated one of Brisbane's top restaurants.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:14 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
There are plenty of places to get beer in Brisbane. But if you want a great Brissy experience, it might be worth heading to the Breakfast Creek Hotel. It will be a short taxi ride out of the city. It is actually about half way between the city and the airport.

They have a good beer garden and excellent steaks. But, they are also about the only place you will find XXXX Off the Wood. This is a special XXXX beer distributed in wooden casks and has its own subtle flavour that you don't get from a bottle or can.

Some say the steaks are better at the Norman Hotel, but the Breaky Creek is the one for the XXXX Off the Wood.

Of course the other place for good beer in Brisbane is the QP at BNE Domestic!
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:20 pm

AllyB's suggestion is a good one, as I used to live opposite the Marriott in the apartment blocks on the river.

My clients and staff can attest to the quality of the Dome Spa (as I bought some vouchers for a select few a couple of years ago).

The negative about the Marriott is proximity to public transport for an airport run - whilst a taxi is easy to access from Adelaide Street, it's a long way from train station(s).

Agree that it has one of Brisbane's best restaurants, Ecco, 100 metres walk away; as well as there being 3 or 4 other restaurants in the same vicinity, but other buildings close by are about to be redeveloped (Cunnington's Dance Studio closed down at Christmas), so by April it may have a noisy development site next door.

(edited for slight correction)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.