Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is there life after lifetime Gold recognition????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there life after lifetime Gold recognition????

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Personally I fail to see the value of lifetime 100% bonus -- if you fly enough that it becomes significant you will also qualify for that year.</font>
Lifetime 100% bonus would be valuable for someone who flies a lot for a few years (e.g. while working), and then flies only a moderate amount afterwards (e.g. after retirement). If it was NOT valuable, QF would probably offer lifetime WP (maybe at about 28,000 SCs) !!!!
Thank you to you and Kangaroo Route for that information about SQ, AA, DL.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Seems to me that if you travel at the 3,000 SC level year after year, that's a sh**load of miles/points you'll have racked up as it is. I know as a UA 1K (equiv. to WP) I have more miles than I know what to do with, and it's only really the status miles that "matter" (to me, anyway).

Of course my middle name is scrooge and I've only forked out for 2 F awards in my life - perhaps I should do that more, but of course I also want to retain status, which means paid tix, which means I earn rather than use miles.....

In other words my point is that a 100% is likely not even really a "big deal" whenyou're talking THAT much flying in a year.

Just my two cents. And yes, I only have 140 lifetime SC's on QF, so what would I know? LOL

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
I imagine one of the problems with lifetime WP (from a Qantas perspective) would be that WPs can access the QP at anytime.

I'm sure most WPs don't have the time to spend hours in the QP drinking free drinks when they're not flying, however on entering retirement this may seem like a fairly attractive proposition.

The QP could make a dream senior citizens club for retired frequent flyers. You could arrive in the morning meet your friends and drink endless cups of tea and eat biscuits, while reminiscing about the 'glory days'(of course this happens in most senior citizens clubs). The added bonus is of course that at 1:00 the drinking could begin. All for free.

And of course you could do this EVERY day.

This possibility should probably terrify Qantas.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:35 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
While the thought seems initially terrifying to Qantas, just how many people could possibly qualify for a lifetime platinum membership?

And as for the economics of a cheap day out, it would be cheap till you have to pay to get your car out of the car park at the end of the day
Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by perthite:
While the thought seems initially terrifying to Qantas, just how many people could possibly qualify for a lifetime platinum membership?

And as for the economics of a cheap day out, it would be cheap till you have to pay to get your car out of the car park at the end of the day
</font>
You can drive after spending a day at the QP???? Wow!!!

Your point about few qualifying is a good one. DL, with millions of FF members, set it so that less than 100 qualified (and it takes 40 years of WP equivalent to qualify from scratch ... on QF this would be equivalent to 50,000 SC). It seems to me that QF could easily do the same with little risk of having to fund this program. And reaching 50K SC would be a nice target to shoot for that could get QF some extra business.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:57 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Actually, I suspect I wouldn't even be able to find my car after such a day.

Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by perthite:
Actually, I suspect I wouldn't even be able to find my car after such a day.</font>
"Botany Bay cars, possibly a highway car, cars on channel, keep a lookout for several cars seen recently leaving Sydney Airport Domestic carpark. Drivers have spent all day in Qantas Pub lounge, definitely PCA, but also FlyerTalkers. If seen, stop and check bona fides, if actually FlyerTalkers call for caged truck and convey to mental health unit for possible schedule."

Dave
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BAe 146:
The QP could make a dream senior citizens club for retired frequent flyers. </font>
Yes, I think you have hit on the real reason why lifetime WP does not exist. The QP would become a kind of free lawn bowls/croquet club, minus the green.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Well you all know the senior QP life costs ~50% of the regular Life (even with the recent increase!). Seems to me we could all put aside a few pennies, and whenever we qualify, buy life membership, then turn the QP into our FT retirement home.

The image of a corner devoted to tea drinking, bikkie chomping old folks talking about the good old days of endless HP's and Wp status is actually quite hysterical.

You can poke the new breed (ie: those under 50) with your walking stick* as they go past and mutter "When I was young...." stories just like Abe Simpson.

This is definately a plan.

(*) - your walking stick must have at least 1 WP and 2 SG bag tags affixed to qualify for the [edited by willyroo - senior QP] club. Status match across airlines ia acceptable

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

[This message has been edited by willyroo (edited Feb 05, 2004).]
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:11 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Guys - all good fun. Our older citizens deserve as much respect as the rest of us, and let's keep our language here in keeping with how we'd like to be treated when we're using our lifetime WP or QP...

I normally prefer to suggest changes by email, but I can't if one isn't posted.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:56 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Look out, our moderator has leapt into the fray so that we don't cast aspersions against our age challenged part of our community.

Danger, Will Robinson, danger...you don't want Willyroo on your case
Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:58 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
QF WP, what's wrong with being chronologically challenged? Its a great excuse to use when you can't remember the things you should. My wise old father taught me there are three things I should make sure I never foget .... now I would love to share them with you, and as soon as I remember them I will post them here.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMEL:
buy life membership, then turn the QP into our FT retirement home.
</font>
The problem with this otherwise excellent suggestion is that (if you are not also WP, which you probably would not be at that age) you have to actually be flying that day to use your discounted lifetime QP. For the hypothetical lifetime WP status (which does not exist), you would not have to be travelling, and, when you occasionally did fly, you would also get the 100% status bonus.

Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I was under the impression that QCLife doesn't require you to be travelling to access the QP. Anyone know? QF WP by any chance?

Dave
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
As a QC lifer myself, I can assure you that you need to be flying to get access to the QP - they don't let you wander in otherwise. The rules are the same as for all QC members, apart from the requirements on not needing a guest pass for bringing the first guest in (in my experience anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.