Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic AA Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, (OW Emerald)
Domestic AA Experience

I've got a few J/F segments on AA, specifically: JFK-MIA-MEX-DFW-YVR-DFW-LAX. any comments on the AA "experience" and how to make it the most comfortable (apart from the obvious ambien&scotch liver destroyer...) Also what lounges can an SG sneak in to? would it make a difference if plat was achieved part way through
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dashman:
I've got a few J/F segments on AA, specifically: JFK-MIA-MEX-DFW-YVR-DFW-LAX. any comments on the AA "experience" and how to make it the most comfortable (apart from the obvious ambien&scotch liver destroyer...) Also what lounges can an SG sneak in to? would it make a difference if plat was achieved part way through </font>
1. As an SG you can use any AC when travelling on AA.

2. J/F is best on wide bodies - 767s you may have. On 757s it is pretty bleak although the seats are wider than QF dom/int J seats.

3. If you have preferences or research the best seats call AAdv with you record locator and ask to be reserved those seats.

4. Best advice I can give is don't set expectations too high.

5. You can use Business Class (or First when Business not available) check in as an SG. As WP you can use First Class check in whenever you fly.

6. As an SG you are always in Group 1 for boarding - but you won't have that issue since you're in F/J

7. Both as SG and as J/F pax you should use the elite security lines where available.

8. DFW-LAX try and get on the one flight a day operated by 777 - this is 3 class sold as 2 - so on F ticket you will actually get Int F seat - which is much nicer

9. In AC as an SG you are entitled to 2 or more drink coupons (opinions differ) from the front desk when you come in.

10. As a WP, you could use any Flagship Lounge - but I think the only one to be found in your itinerary is in LAX.

11. Keep all your boarding passes until your QF miles post to ensure correct mileage posts - sometimes errors occur due to AA's fare codes and the way you're checked in.

[This message has been edited by alect (edited Jan 09, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by alect (edited Jan 09, 2004).]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 3:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If you are booked on a S80 in Business/First (ie north of economy/coach), avoid the front row if you do enjoy legroom. The bulkhead might appear spacious, but no leg stretching room. Oh, and take the ear plugs.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 3:43 pm

I would avoid the 757's where possible. The so called First Class Seats on these aircraft are much older and more uncomfortable than the seats on Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

But then again compared to flying Qantas in Australia, flying in the US on American Airlines is a relatively poor experience.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Remember FEBO - Front Even Back Odd. This is that on even numbered flights thay start the "meal" service from the front, on odd numbered flights they start from the back. Since they pack enough meals for everyone, but not enough of the one choice to satisfy everyone, they often run out of one of the choices before they have finished, so if you remember FEBO you will always get a choice.

Dave
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Platinum A332:
I would avoid the 757's where possible. The so called First Class Seats on these aircraft are much older and more uncomfortable than the seats on Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

But then again compared to flying Qantas in Australia, flying in the US on American Airlines is a relatively poor experience.
</font>
AA still has very few 737's. Most of the planes are MD80's and the seats are the same as the 757's.

Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
An add on question

In a few weeks I am flying MEL - LAX - DAL(Ticketed with Qantas, QF93 D class & AA2434 A class) and continuing DAL - MCO (Ticketed with AA, AA1074 N class). Return is PBI - DAL (Ticketed with AA, AA1855 N class) and continuing DAL - LAX - MEL (Ticketed with Qantas, AA2427 A class & QF94 D class)
The strange ticketing breakdown is due to my company having a negotiated fare MEL - DAL, yet nothing beyond.
I currently only have QC/FF Silver membership as I don't travel a lot these days.
As per the post from dashman, what advice does anyone have to offer and what lounges am I entitled (or sneak) into. Will I have any guest entitlements? (I have someone else travelling with me who is QF FF member but not QC)
I'll gladely accept all positive ideas

thanks,
Bill.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:02 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
I hate US domestic travel
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:10 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by d00t:
I hate US domestic travel </font>

I agree, that's why I'm asking for advise

Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Itsalongwaydown:
I currently only have QC/FF Silver membership as I don't travel a lot these days.
As per the post from dashman, what advice does anyone have to offer and what lounges am I entitled (or sneak) into. Will I have any guest entitlements? (I have someone else travelling with me who is QF FF member but not QC)
</font>
From www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/qantasClub/benefits:-
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Guests must be accompanied by you at all times and be travelling that day on a Qantas flight. There is a limit of one guest per Member per visit in international Qantas Club lounges, joint Qantas/British Airways lounges, partner airline lounges and associated international lounges. No guest pass is required for partner lounges. You may introduce up to two guests per Member to Australian and New Zealand domestic lounges. Guest passes are required for persons over the age of three and admission for guests is subject to space availability.</font>
You ought to be able to get into Admirals Clubs at LAX and DFW but there isn't one at PBI - see www.aa.com/content/aboutAA/AAProducts/admiralsClub.jhtml. Don't forget your entitlement to free booze - ask for vouchers and ask again when you've run out of the first lot.

[This message has been edited by Globaliser (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:33 am
mgm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">AA still has very few 737's. Most of the planes are MD80's and the seats are the same as the 757's.</font>
Actually, upgraded seats were installed on the MD80's when more room throughout coach was introduced. 757's kept the old style seats.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, (OW Emerald)
thanks for the post Alect - I'll aim to sniff out that 777 DFW-LAX run I think.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dashman:
thanks for the post Alect - I'll aim to sniff out that 777 DFW-LAX run I think.</font>
A very nice way to see the world. Recommended for A seats (left hand side - the sun aims directly in the right hand windows. We had 2A and 3A reserved for months - and miraculously they changed to 2J and 3J a week out from flight date. Suppose someone worth more to AA than us also didn't want the sun!

Remember also that the seats won't recline until they are rotated halfway towards the windows.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
A very nice way to see the world. Recommended for A seats (left hand side - the sun aims directly in the right hand windows. We had 2A and 3A reserved for months - and miraculously they changed to 2J and 3J a week out from flight date. Suppose someone worth more to AA than us also didn't want the sun!

Remember also that the seats won't recline until they are rotated halfway towards the windows.
</font>
We have seat allocations for the MD80 so I think we are stuck with it. On the other hand the AA schedule says its a 777. Interesting???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.