Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas U.S. res agents -- deceptive or just dumb?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I live in the U.S., and I needed to make an intra-Australia booking for an upcoming trip. Pretty straightforward: SYD-BNE-SYD on specified dates.

I searched a few places online and pretty much the lowest fare was in the range of $138 (USD) RT. Fares seemed comparable on Qantas and Virgin Blue, and I figured Qantas would be the way to go since VB reminds me a lot of Southwest.

Seeing as I didn't want to pay a booking surcharge, and I wasn't sure how a U.S.-based reservations system would handle a 100% non-U.S. itinerary, I figured it would be simple enough to call Qantas Reservations and book. I provided my preferred times and dates and had the agent even select the same flights I was eyeballing. She informed me of the Boomerang Pass and told me it would save me money. I was quoted a Boomerang Pass for my flights for $340 (USD). I told her that seemed high since Qantas online was selling the same flights for $279 (AUD) RT. I asked her to quote the fare straight up as a normal sale, not this Boomerang nonsense. No problem, sir, $138 (USD) RT. I put it on hold.

The next day, I finalized all my plans, and called into the number again and asked them point blank: "What is the best RT fare SYD-BNE?" After asking some follow-up questions (e.g., what month?), I got a quote of $166 (USD) RT. I asked her to pull up my record and read me the fare. $138. I asked if that fare was still valid. Yes. I ticketed the itinerary at $138 per ticket.

I have never experienced such an oddity with any other airline. Every other airline I've seen will piece together an itinerary, and quote the fare at the lowest possible (unless something else is requested -- fully refundable, first class, whatever).

Are Qantas agent trying to be deceptive here and sell a higher fare, or are they just simply dumb? Or, is it customary in Australia to quote a higher class of fare unless lowest, non-refundable is specifically requested?

Anyone else seem something like this?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:18 am

Mmm, arranged for my parents to come out last year flying RNO-LAX-SYD -- seemed to freak them out that I wanted to buy tickets for itinerary starting in a different country.

They sorted the whole thing eventually -- strange handing off to supervisors and the like, at one point had the story that you couldn't buy tickets in Australia for itinerary starting in U.S. -- utter nonsense.

Only realy hitch in all this was an extra $US50 fee for having tickets printed in Tuscon and mailed via U.S. post.

Would have thought they'd been more together, but, alas, no.

Of course -- didn't bother me -- for our efforts and half hour or so on the phone, did save around $A500 at the time by paying in $A in Australia. Fares charged to Americans seem to be higher after exchange rates are worked out, at least they certainly were then.

You know, you might want to call Qantas in Australia next time you want an all-domestic itinerary -- paying the going $A domestic fare not a bad idea for Americans.

Try +61 2 9691 3636 M-F, ask to be transferred to sales, explain you're calling from out of country perhaps.

Cheers!
Cheers!

------------------
Glen,
QFAA
Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:37 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by channa:

I searched a few places online and pretty much the lowest fare was in the range of $138 (USD) RT. hold.

</font>
I would just have booked the flights myself online on the Australian QF site: www.qantas.com.au You would also have had a chance of winning 1 million QF points

------------------
kpc
Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:09 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Will qantas.com.au ticket outside Australia?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:57 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
Will qantas.com.au ticket outside Australia?</font>
Red-e-deals are all e-tickets, so who cares where you are at the time. You just need a valid photo ID to show when you check-in.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 4:10 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QFAA:
Try +61 2 9691 3636 M-F, ask to be transferred to sales, explain you're calling from out of country perhaps.</font>
This week I could not get through to QF in the UK. The line was busy for hours on end. As I was in the office and threfore not bothered about Internatioanl call charges I dialled +61 13 13 13. It worked without any problem.

Old Nov 23, 2002, 7:19 am

If I book seats online at Qantas.com, can I call res after ticketing to provide our AAdvantage numbers? Does Red-E tickets qualify for AA mileage?
Old Nov 23, 2002, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:
If I book seats online at Qantas.com, can I call res after ticketing to provide our AAdvantage numbers? Does Red-E tickets qualify for AA mileage?</font>
Yes and Yes

Dave
Old Nov 23, 2002, 8:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:
If I book seats online at Qantas.com, can I call res after ticketing to provide our AAdvantage numbers? Does Red-E tickets qualify for AA mileage?</font>
Sure can - you can even do it at the airport when checking in, make sure they enter it prior to the boarding passes being issued, that way your details appear on the BP.

Dave
Old Nov 23, 2002, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
I checked fares at first on both Travelocity and Qantas' own website when I wanted a SYD-BNE-SYD ticket for last October. Then when I tried the US reservations number, I had none of the problems mentioned in the first couple of posts.

From what I recall, the menu I got when I called had an option for travel solely within Australia, so there was no confusion about an itinerary originating there. The res agent quoted me a fare that was slightly lower than the fare I'd seen available on the web for the flights I wanted, and it was actually comprised of cheap changeable, refundable one way fares. (This was a great surprise - they never used to have fares like that when I lived in Oz.)

Had no difficulty getting an E-ticket issued for my itinerary; no handling fee was charged. And from what I could tell, the fare I was quoted was the same base fare as the I'd seen on Travelocity, but with lower taxes (no GST charged??). It was definitely worth my while to use the US reservations number instead of the web.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:58 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
The Boomerang pass probably would be cheaper if you were flying more than two segments; I forget what class it is booked in (M?), but there may also be sale fares that are cheaper. The second case where the fare went up to $166; maybe you got the last fare in that fare bucket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.