FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qantas U.S. res agents -- deceptive or just dumb?
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:42 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Qantas U.S. res agents -- deceptive or just dumb?

I live in the U.S., and I needed to make an intra-Australia booking for an upcoming trip. Pretty straightforward: SYD-BNE-SYD on specified dates.

I searched a few places online and pretty much the lowest fare was in the range of $138 (USD) RT. Fares seemed comparable on Qantas and Virgin Blue, and I figured Qantas would be the way to go since VB reminds me a lot of Southwest.

Seeing as I didn't want to pay a booking surcharge, and I wasn't sure how a U.S.-based reservations system would handle a 100% non-U.S. itinerary, I figured it would be simple enough to call Qantas Reservations and book. I provided my preferred times and dates and had the agent even select the same flights I was eyeballing. She informed me of the Boomerang Pass and told me it would save me money. I was quoted a Boomerang Pass for my flights for $340 (USD). I told her that seemed high since Qantas online was selling the same flights for $279 (AUD) RT. I asked her to quote the fare straight up as a normal sale, not this Boomerang nonsense. No problem, sir, $138 (USD) RT. I put it on hold.

The next day, I finalized all my plans, and called into the number again and asked them point blank: "What is the best RT fare SYD-BNE?" After asking some follow-up questions (e.g., what month?), I got a quote of $166 (USD) RT. I asked her to pull up my record and read me the fare. $138. I asked if that fare was still valid. Yes. I ticketed the itinerary at $138 per ticket.

I have never experienced such an oddity with any other airline. Every other airline I've seen will piece together an itinerary, and quote the fare at the lowest possible (unless something else is requested -- fully refundable, first class, whatever).

Are Qantas agent trying to be deceptive here and sell a higher fare, or are they just simply dumb? Or, is it customary in Australia to quote a higher class of fare unless lowest, non-refundable is specifically requested?

Anyone else seem something like this?