Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA-QF transit at SYD question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:57 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by thadocta

Depends on the fare type, but the airport tends to be pretty flexible.

My experience is different...

I flew WLG-SYD on QF one Sat am in semi-flex economy (returning from a work trip) and had a four hour wait for my cheapo SYD-CBR flight (on a separate PNR so I built in enough time for delays). No delays - so would they let me on an earlier flight? - only if I pay hundreds extra.

So I hung out in the QP - and this was before noon so there was no boooze either!
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by James S

I flew WLG-SYD on QF one Sat am in semi-flex economy (returning from a work trip) and had a four hour wait for my cheapo SYD-CBR flight (on a separate PNR so I built in enough time for delays). No delays - so would they let me on an earlier flight? - only if I pay hundreds extra.
I would also not expect them to allow the passenger on an earlier flight on a red-e-deal

Dave
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by James S

So I hung out in the QP - and this was before noon so there was no boooze either!
Again, depends on who you get and what sort of a mood they are in. I have been chaged to an earlier flight when connecting without a problem. I have also been denied when asking. Depends on the time and phase of the moon.

Dave
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:06 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would also not expect them to allow the passenger on an earlier flight on a red-e-deal
I agree. QF is likely to be flexible if you miss the flight due to a late international arrival and will try to book you onto a later flight. But most unlikely to bend the fare rules to move to an earlier flight just because the inbound was not delayed and customs processing was quick that day.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:44 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
From when the plane landed; going through passport control; then collecting luggage then doing the customs inspection Once through that then you got to walk around to the Qantas Domestic checkin transfer desk; then wait for the bus took me almost an hour. Go right after exiting customs and immigrant if looking for the Qantas transfer check in area for domestic.

Qantas Club has a nice food offerring for breakfast.

My only problem I had; was when I checked in for my QF flight I didn't remember my flight number or my time so the check in lady was almost about to say stand aside and let someone else check in. On the quick check machine it brings up your flight time and flight number for you; I don't need to remember it. Why carry an itinerary. I had the day right.

Why rush it, even up to 8:00am with a 5:15am arrival is good as the 8:00am is still classed as a breakfast flight.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 10:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My recent experiences that time of day is an hour to get landside, even with being able to use the domestic door (after queuing in the main customs queue for a while I was able to switch as is often the case). Add in transfer bus and 90 minutes is the minimum I'd need to feel comfortable, 2 hours safer (and more likely to have enough time for a shower).

Whenever I can I transfer int->dom at MEL. Much easier and quicker.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Thanks all for the advice. Our preferred arrival/departure points in Australia are MEL and ADL but we can only get the award to SYD (I'm flying AF codeshared on QF into MEL).
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Thanks all for the advice. Our preferred arrival/departure points in Australia are MEL and ADL but we can only get the award to SYD (I'm flying AF codeshared on QF into MEL).
A fare we all know well!

Seems most people I know took the MEL option which probably explains why availability dried up!

Originally Posted by Caledonian
It used to be but they've gone in the last year or so; the trick today is to enquire to customs about those shoes that you took walking in the English countryside not so long ago....
Shows you how long it is since I have caught a flight all the way through to Australia rather than only to Asia.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Shows you how long it is since I have caught a flight all the way through to Australia rather than only to Asia.
Quarantine is very serious here. It can be effective at keeping the nasties out of the country if everyone plays by the rules (except, apparently, those who handle horses ).
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by thadocta
They don't *have* to, since the connecting flight is on a seperate PNR, Given that though, they tend to be very flexible over at the international terminal when it comes to late arriving inbound passengers, particularly those coming in on OW flights. You should be right. I would recommend a decent travel insurance policy though.

I hope you have a good trip.

Dave

Would not the cost of travel insurance exceed the cost of a Red-e ticket SYD-MEL

Later..... ah ha lost Red-e but pay for full ticket Is the risk worth the insurance premium
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Would not the cost of travel insurance exceed the cost of a Red-e ticket SYD-MEL

Later..... ah ha lost Red-e but pay for full ticket Is the risk worth the insurance premium
What insurance can one buy for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.