Search

BA-QF transit at SYD question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Question BA-QF transit at SYD question

My partner will be arriving from LHR on a BA FC award ticket and transferring to a QF domestic flight (most likely SYD-MEL) - probably a red e-deal fare She doesn't have any status in OW.

Questions:

1) Are there any QF1-399 flights left for SYD-MEL so she can just clear in MEL?

2) If not, how long should she allow herself to clear entry at SYD (0515 arrival) and get herself to the domestic terminal? Also v-v when she flies ADL-SYD before catching the BA return flight?

3) Will QF provide interterminal transportation for BA-QF and QF-BA?

4) Any lounge access w/o OW status since she flew in on FC?

5) Will QF allow earlier standby if she has no checked bags?

6) Will QF reaccommodate her if the BA flight arrives late and/or she gets caught up in long immigration lines?

Thanks

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Oct 31, 2007 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
My partner will be arriving from LHR on a BA FC award ticket and transferring to a QF domestic flight (most likely SYD-MEL) - probably a red e-deal fare She doesn't have any status in OW.

Questions:

1) Are there any QF1-399 flights left for SYD-MEL so she can just clear in MEL?
There aren't many left these days, what BA flight is she arriving on? BA9 and BA15 arrive pretty close together, but it might make a difference.

2) If not, how long should she allow herself to clear entry at SYD and get herself to the domestic terminal? Also v-v when she flies ADL-SYD before catching the BA return flight?
MCT is two hours.

3) Will QF provide interterminal transportation for BA-QF and QF-BA?
Absolutely! (oops, wrong airline, but yes, QF will provide inter terminal transport).

4) Any lounge access w/o OW status since she flew in on FC?
According to the OW rules, then yes, lounge access is available. See below:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...lass-of-travel

Originally Posted by OneWorld website
Lounge Access by Class of Travel
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline).

Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.

Exception: American Airlines AAdvantage® Program members, regardless of their tier status, may not use lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries (defined as within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean). In these cases, access rules are governed by American Airlines' own rules (ie paid lounge-access membership).
Based upon this, flying in a long haul first class cabin gives you lounge access when connecting onto a domestic flight - so LHR-SYD in F gets you into the QF lounge when flying domestic SYD-MEL in Y.

MAKE SURE YOU PRINT THIS OW PAGE OUT AND HAVE IT READY TO PRESENT WHEN TRYING TO GET INTO THE LOUNGE.

The difference here though is that LHR-SYD in F is in a different PNR to SYD-MEL in Y, so there might be some persuasion necessary. I think you are within the rules, the rules don't say that you need to be on the same booking, just that you are flying one leg in Y and the other leg in J or F. You qualify.

5) Will QF allow earlier standby if she has no checked bags?
Depends on the fare type, but the airport tends to be pretty flexible.

6) Will QF reaccommodate her if the BA flight arrives late and/or she gets caught up in long immigration lines?
They don't *have* to, since the connecting flight is on a seperate PNR, Given that though, they tend to be very flexible over at the international terminal when it comes to late arriving inbound passengers, particularly those coming in on OW flights. You should be right. I would recommend a decent travel insurance policy though.

I hope you have a good trip.

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Oct 31, 2007 at 8:39 pm Reason: BA flight numbers the wrong way around.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
She's flying in on BA15 (and leaving on BA16, both via SIN - inventory on BA9/10 is nearly impossible get get, reportedly). BA15 arrives 50 minutes of BA 9 and QF 2 (bizarrely they have identical schedules for BKK-SYD), but 5 minutes behind QF6.

I can't find any QF1-399 flights on the timetable for Sept. '08.

Given the above information, would an 0800 or 0830 domestic departure be safe to book?

And on the return (most likely from ADL) for a 1530 departure, I imagine a noon arrival from ADL is preferable to a 1310 one?

Thanks again

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Oct 31, 2007 at 1:53 pm
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With an arrival time of 05:15 into SYD , it should be no problem to book the 08:00 service to MEL

Dave
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With an arrival time of 05:15 into SYD , it should be no problem to book the 08:00 service to MEL

Dave
Even the 06:30, 06:45, 07:00, 07:15 or 07:30 services are likely to be fine although availability maybe a little tight on those peak morning flights. Also if the OPs partner is flying in F, getting off the plane will generally mean getting through customs pretty quickly even if on a foreign passport.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Even the 06:30, 06:45, 07:00, ....
I think this is pushing it a little bit. It might take you one hour to clear customs even as an F passenger and you still need to change terminals. Will be difficult to get a 6:30 flight and your bags surely won't make it.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think this is pushing it a little bit. It might take you one hour to clear customs even as an F passenger and you still need to change terminals. Will be difficult to get a 6:30 flight and your bags surely won't make it.
According to TN, SYD's MCTs are as follows:

http://airtahitinui-usa.com/Airports/sydney.asp

Originally Posted by TN
- From Domestic Flight to Domestic Flight: 30 min
- From Domestic Flight to International Flight: 1h
- From International Flight to Domestic Flight: 1h15
- From International Flight to International Flight: 1h
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even the 06:30, 06:45, 07:00, 07:15 or 07:30 services are likely to be fine although availability maybe a little tight on those peak morning flights. Also if the OPs partner is flying in F, getting off the plane will generally mean getting through customs pretty quickly even if on a foreign passport.
An earlier flight could well be ok however since the person is on separate tickets I wouldn't cut it too fine; a flight from 07:00 would be pretty safe option ( and would be my suggestion if the person was on a through ticket ) but if on a cheap red-e-deal separate ticket, I would allow some buffer in case of issues

Dave
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
As someone who did exactly the above on Sat (in J on BA15, seperate QF booking up to BNE) I would not book an onward flight before 7.30/8.00).

Immigration empty, even for non Australian citizens / residents, but queue for customers took about 15-20 mins.

Caledonian
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Caledonian
As someone who did exactly the above on Sat (in J on BA15, seperate QF booking up to BNE) I would not book an onward flight before 7.30/8.00).

Immigration empty, even for non Australian citizens / residents, but queue for customers took about 15-20 mins.

Caledonian
The trick is to have something to declare like chocolates which allows you to go through the red queue which is infinitely quicker.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The red and green lines now seem to be one of the same (especially if Foot & Mouth is an issue at the time). An extra hour at the domestic terminal in SYD will allow time for a shower.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:21 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I would also look to a later flight such as 08:00, as it will allow time for a shower at the DOM QP.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
You also have to factor in the possibility of the flight arriving late - even 1/2 an hour could become critical. I would give yourself plenty of time so if it is late then you aren't sitting on the plane stressing out about your onward flight not a nice feeling even in F.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The trick is to have something to declare like chocolates which allows you to go through the red queue which is infinitely quicker.
There is no more red and green queue. Everybody has to go through the main queue now which has increased waiting times quite a bit. The only chance sometimes is when they have opened the small door close to the oversized baggage area.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:09 am

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
It used to be but they've gone in the last year or so; the trick today is to enquire to customs about those shoes that you took walking in the English countryside not so long ago....

Caledonian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.