Wiki Posts
Search

Lon-Syd J Class: BA or QF?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat one; VA plat
Lon-Syd J Class: BA or QF?

Am doing RTW this June and have the option of QF or BA coming home from LHR. Which is best for the straight-through flight/ and via which port - BKK or SIN?
Old May 1, 2006, 4:57 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If you plan to sleep on the second leg (BKK/SIN - SYD), go via BKK. The extra 2 hrs will make all the difference to your ability to actually sleep (instead of a 3 hr sleep between dinner and breakfast).

QF or BA has been discussed many times on this Board. It depends on how tall you are and whether you like short flat beds or long slightly sloping beds.

QF cabin service is better than BA.
Old May 1, 2006, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ecuatorianaDC10
Am doing RTW this June and have the option of QF or BA coming home from LHR. Which is best for the straight-through flight/ and via which port - BKK or SIN?
Do you care between whether you get the BA Beds or the QF beds? Some people prefer one to the other and that could make a difference

I wouldn't concern about "sleep" issues, I don't know many people who can sleep 22 hours a day so you are likely to be awake for a fair bit of it. If you definately want to fly straight through , I would suggest QF32 which leaves LHR at 12:15, travels via SIN and arrives at 18:50 into Australia. I think that the lunchtime departure and the evening arrival is v good

Dave
Old May 1, 2006, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
BKK has slightly cheaper duty free shopping than SIN and the flight times are better; SIN flights tend to be busier. Otherwise not much difference. I've only flown BA J once and hated it, but then I've never flown the QF J skybed as a bed (only as a seat); despite this my opinion is that the QF bed is far better than the BA bed in J.
Old May 1, 2006, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat one; VA plat
I have travelled on both seats - and like both really - but was generally seeking an opinion from anyone how has done it regularly. I'm average height and found the ability to put your feet up on the BA stool useful. I suspected that QF cabin service would be better. Thanks Dave for the suggestion re QF32.
Old May 1, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Is there any reason why you aren't considering LHR-HKG-SYD on CX? You will have to change planes in HKG, but the flying time is about the same, and the CX service / food is amazing.

Cheers
Old May 1, 2006, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Is there any reason why you aren't considering LHR-HKG-SYD on CX? You will have to change planes in HKG, but the flying time is about the same, and the CX service / food is amazing.

Cheers
Do be aware that it will cost 10,500 FF miles to take this flight though due to no status bonus for travel on CX. Would need to decide if CX's service/food worth 10,500 points

Dave
Old May 1, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Do be aware that it will cost 10,500 FF miles to take this flight though due to no status bonus for travel on CX. Would need to decide if CX's service/food worth 10,500 points

Dave
On the other hand there is the increased opportunity of an OP up on CX. As an Emerald the chance is not unreasonable and CX first is certainly worth 10,500 points forgone, IMHO. I have had several op ups on CX long haul, 2 from Business to First and one from Economy to Business.
Old May 1, 2006, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
On the other hand there is the increased opportunity of an OP up on CX. As an Emerald the chance is not unreasonable and CX first is certainly worth 10,500 points forgone, IMHO. I have had several op ups on CX long haul, 2 from Business to First and one from Economy to Business.
Personally I would never book flights based on hoping to get an involuntary upgrade; in likelihood it will be 10,500 miles lost with travel in CX J

Dave
Old May 1, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Personally I would never book flights based on hoping to get an involuntary upgrade; in likelihood it will be 10,500 miles lost with travel in CX J

Dave
I've got a three out of four record. SC's are personally more important to me than points anyway. It's good we are all different.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:48 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Fir me, if the timing suited my availability, I would take Dave's suggestion of QF32. I really dislike the short overnight hop from Asia (SIN/BKK/HKG) to SYD as its not long enough to get a decent sleep, so taking that as a daytime flight would be my choice.

I have a slight preference for the QF seat over the BA seat, but its not as significant as the choice of a daytime flight.

Oh yes, most impostantly, BA has better scotch.
Old May 2, 2006, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I'm going to second Dave Noble on his recommendation. QF31&32 are the way to go in going to SYD and QF29&30 if to MEL.
Old May 2, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Yes I agree with the masses. Both are good quality and offer similar comforts. I am 6'3 and thought that the Sky bed offered a little more space. I am also a fan of Charles Heidsieck which flows freely up top. Enjoy your flight
Old May 3, 2006, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
Just to spice up the conversation, I flew on BA a couple of times with the older New Club World and found the beds to be back-braking after 22 hours or so. But they have changed them over relatively recently and are now quite comfortable (especially if you can get one with extra room at the foot end eg. 14A on 747, I'm 6 ft). There has been discussion on the BA Exec Club board about the 'New' New Club World product which will be coming out later this year too, but not much info yet...

The QF seats are good but I don't like the angle so much, personal preference though. The BKK stop-over is certainly better for sleeping, but the new QP/BA lounge at SIN is worth a visit if you ever visited the old cramped lounge.

Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.