Lounge invitations for sale on eBay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
Are you sure?

One would expect a legitimate Invitation with no expiry date would be valid until used.
What I meant was that the business card sized guest invitations are worth FA now. I assume the undated dark blue folded A4 size unrestricted QP invitations are still valid (as they have no date on them).
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
The photos are definitely the QF PS style "Complimentary Invitations", and you don't need to be accompanied to use them.

However,

1) They are undated, but the scan of the back says, "This card is valid for a single visit by one guest before the date specified" which indicates to me that they were meant to have validity dates. Without making any allegations, I'm wondering if the entity which produces these invitations prints them in bulk without expiry dates, which are then added later as required. I'm further wondering whether access to these undated invitations is as secure as it perhaps should be.

2) The seller stated, "You do not have to be flying with Qantas to use these invitations. You can fly with any airline and proceed to the Qantas Business Class Club Lounge and present your invitation to be admitted. Most major airports have a qantas club lounges." This is incorrect - you need to be flying on a OW airline. (It is also not at all true that "most major airports" have QPs - "most major airports in Australia" would be more accurate.)

Last edited by Alan in CBR; Feb 19, 2006 at 11:29 pm Reason: minor typo
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF Silver,PP,PCR Gold,GP, Starwood, BA Exec,
smells dodgy

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
A Flight Attendant?
yeah I'm with you on this one probably a staff member,

Used to work for QF and it wasn't hard to get your hands on these type of passes.

If it smells rotten probably is rotten, trust me been bitten by ebay fraud before..

good luck
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, United, Continental
Lounge invitations for sale on E Bay

The seller now has photographs of both sides of the invitations. Has anyone seen these before?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:56 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by RICH W
The seller now has photographs of both sides of the invitations. Has anyone seen these before?
Yep, these are the single vouchers sent when you make QF FF Silver. (Or certainly the ones they used to send out, not sure if there are newer ones that are different). These ones are exactly like the one I got a few years ago when I first joined QF FF on my way that year to earning SG and then WP.

How this person got so many of them is the real question ! An ex-QP lounge dragon who stole a bundle when s/he left QF's employ ?!? (They [certainly used to anyway] have loads of them to hand at QPs, to give to pax when things went wrong, for people they decide to let in for a particular reason, etc, etc, etc. I know as I was given one at the SYD Dom. QP 3 years ago after something went wrong with a reservation, and it was given to me out of a huge stack of the things !).
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: QF Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Yep, these are the single vouchers sent when you make QF FF Silver. (Or certainly the ones they used to send out, not sure if there are newer ones that are different).
They're still what they're sending out, I got one earlier this month when I hit silver, before may I'll hit gold, wonder what I get then

Adrian
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by sn00p
They're still what they're sending out, I got one earlier this month when I hit silver, before may I'll hit gold, wonder what I get then

Adrian
Umm, when you hit gold you'll get a gold FF card with complimentary Qantas Club membership. Which is a whole lot better than a small bundle of one-off invitations.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:46 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Not having passed Silver recently, I am not familiar with the current "gifts". Do the current "you have reached Silver status, have a free lounge visit on us" vouchers/cards have an expiry date? It would appear that these ones do not.

And do they state that the card remains the property to Qantas Airways? If so, it would not be right to sell something that is the property of someone else.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
He could have been picking them up from the rubbish bin like the one person who picked up "rubbish" from this year's World Cup draw.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
Not having passed Silver recently, I am not familiar with the current "gifts". Do the current "you have reached Silver status, have a free lounge visit on us" vouchers/cards have an expiry date? It would appear that these ones do not.

And do they state that the card remains the property to Qantas Airways? If so, it would not be right to sell something that is the property of someone else.
They did have a printed expiry date a couple of years ago when I last got mine. I cant recall if they have a property of QF statement.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:31 am

Programs: QF Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NM

The ones you get when you arrive at silver do have an expiry date, however they look identical to the ones on that ebay auction other than that.

There is no "property of qantas" anywhere on the card.

On the reverse is just says We Invite you to be out guest....

This card is valid for a single visit by one guest before the date specified...

And info on how to enrol at qantas club.

Thats the lot really.

Adrian
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Gold, Qantas Club
Originally Posted by sn00p
The ones you get when you arrive at silver do have an expiry date, however they look identical to the ones on that ebay auction other than that.

There is no "property of qantas" anywhere on the card.

On the reverse is just says We Invite you to be out guest....

This card is valid for a single visit by one guest before the date specified...

And info on how to enrol at qantas club.

Thats the lot really.

Adrian
I made Silver about six months back and got one of these. Looks exactly like the ones in the auctions, except mine had an expiry date. I sold it via eBay for $25 because I joined QC a couple of months back in anticipation of some solid travel. See here for a picture.

I can't see anything wrong with selling passes legitimately obtained, but I have to wonder how this seller got so many of them and why they don't have dates. Other comments here make me think that there may be several variants on different sorts of stock, some dated, some undated.

Last edited by Skyring; Feb 26, 2006 at 1:47 pm Reason: Correct details, add extra info
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Skyring
I can't see anything wrong with selling passes legitimately obtained ...
I don't think that it was really QF's intention to give you a commercially tradeable asset when they sent you an invitation to use or to share with a friend.

But I would agree that it's worse to be selling stolen passes, which is what I strongly suspect this seller's wares to be.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think that it was really QF's intention to give you a commercially tradeable asset when they sent you an invitation to use or to share with a friend.

But I would agree that it's worse to be selling stolen passes, which is what I strongly suspect this seller's wares to be.
I had a closer look at the images posted on ebay. (BTW, the sale has now closed.) I noted the following paragraph from the back of the card (my bolding):
This card is valid for a single visit by one guest before the date specified. Please present this card upon arrival at the lounge.
Not having a validity date should make the card invalid. As a comparison, The image from Skyring's sale has the following below the text "Complmentary Invitation":
Valid until end January 2007
.Suspect your average loung dragon may look with suspicion upon such a dateless invitation.

Then again, maybe one could write an appropriate expiry date in. (but not in crayon)

Last edited by serfty; Feb 27, 2006 at 6:29 pm
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
One of those little rotating rubber wheel daters costs just a few dollars.

The seller would IMHO be smarter to offer them 'valid' for a year or 2 years etc.

Lounge matrons seeing anything with a date would probably accept they were kosher. Human nature being what it is, they'd look more "official" with a hand dater than if handwritten.

I imagine these kind of invites are on hand in a drawer at many QP and sales offices worldwide, so even if it does not look exactly like the ones mailed out with elite kits, no-one would risk a scene by querying it at desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.