Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge invitations for sale on eBay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by tuapekastar
Agreed, they look like Complimentary Invitations, rather than the defunct Guest Passes that posters have referred to. I have plenty of those and they definitely say "Member's Guest Pass" on the front and specify that the guest must be accompanied by the member (or words to that effect). So it looks like the real McCoy. Heaven knows how he/she got so many of 'em!
That's assuming the photos are fair dinkum and unmodified.
Only the seller forgets to mention you need to be accompanied by a member, small but important detail.
I can see plenty of negative feedback coming his way.
That’s of course if people are not damn enough to leave feedback before they actually try and access a lounge!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by clubman
Only the seller forgets to mention you need to be accompanied by a member, small but important detail.
I think the point is that these look like complimentary invitations, for which you don't need to be accompanied by a member.

It was the guest passes that required accompanying by a member, but these aren't guest passes (as far as I can see).
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
Heaven knows how he/she got so many of 'em!
Stolen, is my guess. They're not documents that have any audit trail, IIRC.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if anyone is now thinking about it ...

... may I please draw their attention to a BA Silver card which may be available, for the benefit of a much better cause than an eBay seller's personal wallet.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:05 am

Me thinks the expiry date on the complimentary invitation can be scratched off easily.

And one thing about the complimentary invites, there is no serial number/barcode or any other security features. The only "secure" feature is the lamination, which you can do it yourself, or with some help from printing shop folks. As such, these invites are very easy to counterfeit, though I'm not accusing anyone of doing any such thing. Just an observation. ^
And yes, it is odd that there is no expiry date on these invites. Very odd indeed.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by furryraccoon
Me thinks the expiry date on the complimentary invitation can be scratched off easily.
Wrong

And one thing about the complimentary invites, there is no serial number/barcode or any other security features. The only "secure" feature is the lamination, which you can do it yourself, or with some help from printing shop folks. As such, these invites are very easy to counterfeit, though I'm not accusing anyone of doing any such thing. Just an observation. ^
And yes, it is odd that there is no expiry date on these invites. Very odd indeed.
It is not laminated - the entire card is made from some sort of plastic, glossy on the back and matte on the front.

Aus_MD
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by AUS_MD
Wrong

It is not laminated - the entire card is made from some sort of plastic, glossy on the back and matte on the front.

Aus_MD

YOU are wrong . I have one invitation right here in front on me and I've mananged to scratch off a small part of the lettering. The lettering is not printed with the card, but rather printed ON it.

Wrong again. The card is made of 2 pieces. Paper with a waxy surface on the front, with plastic laminate on the back. :

Last edited by furryraccoon; Feb 18, 2006 at 3:23 am Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:11 am
~B~

I had a complimentry invite that from what i remember looked like that, and which i didnt need to be accompanied by a member
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:32 am

YOU are wrong . I have one invitation right here in front on me and I've mananged to scratch off a small part of the lettering. The lettering is not printed with the card, but rather printed ON it.

Wrong again. The card is made of 2 pieces. Paper with a waxy surface on the front, with plastic laminate on the back. :

Whatever.

I have one too. I would be most interested to see a post of your scratched off expiry date - put it on imageshack.us or something and post the url. I can scratch the lettering off mine, but not without leaving a trace on the card.

And yes, the plastic has two layers, and is in that sense laminated, but the print on the back (and the brown background) is incorporated in the shiny layer. Please let us know how you "do that yourself".

In my opinion no-one of normal intelligence would be fooled by homemade attempts to manufacture one of these cards - you have said yourself that the one surface is waxy - not a paper finish that you will get from Officeworks.

Aus_MD
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:00 am

Whatever.

I would be most interested to see a post of your scratched off expiry date - put it on imageshack.us or something and post the url. I can scratch the lettering off mine, but not without leaving a trace on the card.
Yes it can be scratched off. Use an eraser to remove any markings. Nope, I don't want to remove mine.

And yes, the plastic has two layers, and is in that sense laminated, but the print on the back (and the brown background) is incorporated in the shiny layer. Please let us know how you "do that yourself".
Nope, actually the back is a clear plastic laminate, which can be seperated from the paper on which the wordings on the back in printed on.

In my opinion no-one of normal intelligence would be fooled by homemade attempts to manufacture one of these cards - you have said yourself that the one surface is waxy - not a paper finish that you will get from Officeworks.
Buy paper with similar texture. ^

Thank you.

Last edited by furryraccoon; Feb 18, 2006 at 10:26 pm Reason: To keep things civil
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Sheesh... I thought this was a friendly forum.
..............it takes two to Tango!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:26 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
[moderator hat]
?
Pistols at dawn?
Over a lounge pass?
Sheesh indeed
[/moderator hat]
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The very old comp invites to the QC do not have an expiry date. I have one right here . The slightly more recent invites do have an expiry date. I also have several right here. The business card size admission cards have a date on the newer ones and no date on the old ones. Neither of which are worth anything more than friendly debate right now! Ie: they are worth FA.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:35 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by og
Ie: they are worth FA.
A Flight Attendant?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
The very old comp invites to the QC do not have an expiry date. I have one right here . The slightly more recent invites do have an expiry date. I also have several right here. The business card size admission cards have a date on the newer ones and no date on the old ones. Neither of which are worth anything more than friendly debate right now! Ie: they are worth FA.
Are you sure?

One would expect a legitimate Invitation with no expiry date would be valid until used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.