Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The (QF FF/QP) OW Lounge Info. Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The (QF FF/QP) OW Lounge Info. Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:48 am

DUS Dusseldorf British Airways Terraces Lounge

Lounge name and type: Dusseldorf British Airways Terraces Lounge

Access rules: Standard access rules. There is also access for Emirates and Delta's business class passengers.

Facilities: This lounge is a classic Terraces lounge, with all the usual BA Terraces features. To the left as you go in is the probably the nicest place to sit - on the sunloungers looking through the windows. There is a huge business area, with banks of telephones, but oddly no computers. Beyond this is a quiet area. There is one small TV by the sunlounges. Further round there is the usual Terraces Fountain around a garden court - which has recently been filled in as a garden. Newspapers are on two racks, with just the Guardian, Express and Mail from the UK but with plenty of German papers, and a couple of German magazines, like Stern.

Bar: There are two bars, of the standard BA curvy type. On my visit last week the wine was pretty good. Red was Australia 2005 Vintona Ridge Cabernet-Shiraz, Louis Eschenaver 2004 Cabernet-Sauvignon, South African Excelsior 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chilean Casa de Compo Cabernet Carmenene 2005. White consists of Californian Crestview Park Chardonanny, South African Excelsior 2004 Sauvignon-Blanc, German 2005 Hof Reisling, and Louis Eschenaver 2005 Sauvignon. There are now only 10 types of spirits behind the bar, although the Baileys is not chilled (unlike at LHR) but there is Bacardi, Sandemanm Martini, Campari, Smirnoff, Ballentines whisky, Remy Martini VSOP, and Beefeater Gin. There is are only two types of beer - a rather tame German Pils, and Bitberger, in small glass bottles.

Food: The lounge now has some food in the mornings. True, it's just a tray of sandwiches (German Sausage on white bread) sitting on a tray by the world wine bar, but it's a better offering than there was. There are also strange long strips of Edam cheese, on a stick, in plastic wrapping. There are also cold snacks including apples, biscuits, nuts, crisps, cakes. There is no warm food. On the wine bar are two bowls of olives - one black, the other red.

Misc: The actual lounge itself is huge - seemingly far larger than BA would ever need at this outpost, although the occasional conferences and Expos do generate a lot of premium travel that fill the 767s to LHR and do just about fill up the lounge, particularly when the Manchester and Birmingham flights leave at the same times Emirates and Delta ones.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
New Finnair lounge in Helsinki

New Finnair lounge + spa at Helsinki-Vantaa T2

Loads of photos, inc. of the spa, at these two sites. Looks stunning, but looks can be deceptive (reports on the Finnair forum suggest)

You have to pay for all booze but beer and wine, and it also seems you have to pay (Euro45) to use the Spa, even if flying in J on AY. Poor show Finnair

http://media.finnair.com/spa/site/

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...e-at-helsinki-

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Dec 23, 2009 at 11:02 am
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: NZ*E, SQPPS, SAA*G
Cool Qantas First Lounge JNB

QF64 JNB-SYD (First)

As I have no OW Status can I use the BA Galleries lounge in JNB or only the Shongololo lounge?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by fullthrust
QF64 JNB-SYD (First)

As I have no OW Status can I use the BA Galleries lounge in JNB or only the Shongololo lounge?

Thanks!
You *should* under OW rules, be able to access the BA lounge (anyone flying in F or J on a OW carrier is entitled to access the F or J lounges [respectively] of any other OW carrier).

It comes down to logistics - will the BA lounge be open? Might only be open for BA flights.
If it is open, will there be room? There is provision for denial based upon capacity constraints, if it is a small lounge, they might want to try and limit access to BA passengers.

Is it in the same terminal? (I am unfamiliar with JNB, so am not aware of where the lounges are located).

Based upon OW rules, flying on QF metal, with a QF flight number, you should be able to get into the BA lounge.

Subject to the above though.

Dave
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
According to this page Qantas currently employ the BA lounge for QF64:
.Irrespective to that, as thadocta posted, If Qantas invited you to a different lounge, you would still have access to the BA lounge if it were open.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by fullthrust
QF64 JNB-SYD (First)

Thanks!
As you are in First class travelling on a oneworld carrier, you are able to use the BA Galleries lounge (both First and Club lounges - essentially one lounge split by a wall).

I flew QF64 last year and the BA lounge was open for this flight (can't remember if any BA flights going around these times), so I used the lounge (but I was flying Y, getting in on account of my QFF WP / ow Emerald status).

There is another third party lounge which I only found on the way to the gate. It might be the Shongololo lounge that you mention. It caters for a whole swathe of different carriers, but Qantas was also on the list. No idea exactly the requirements to enter the lounge, although I seemed to have no trouble getting in (could be my QFF status that helped). This lounge was rather crowded but there is a larger food selection (including some "meals" that could be warmed up in the supplied microwave not quite your local 7-11 store ).
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:13 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Cairo lounges

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Lounge name and type – Cairo Int. generic multi-carrier airport F lounge.

Access rules – When traveling in F, and WPs (thanks Dave for confirming that).

Facilities – Not many ! A little food, some very worn sofas, a few papers and a drinks option of two. Pretty basic and uninspiring, its an F lounge that is worst than the vast majority of J ones I have ever seen… though its not as bad as some on the BA Forum would have you believe ! (Though I believe the J one is even worse !)

Bad features – No showers etc, and toilets outside… not much of anything really ! The general recommendation is ‘OK place to spend half an hour, but don’t get to airport much earlier !

Misc. – Various credit cards etc will also get you in I believe, inc. Amex Gold and Plat., Priority Pass, etc.
Can you clarify which terminal this is referring to? I flew out of CAI last week from Terminal 1 and there was no separate F lounge, rather there was a French, English and VIP lounge - essentially different small rooms. The refused to open the English lounge when I asked, and there were people smoking in the other areas so I asked them again and they did. It was a typical Arab salon (living room), i.e. couches, one large tv with waiter service with basic croissants, sandwiches and coffees. I chose to head over Starbucks and come back.

FYI no boarding announcements were made, indeed the monitor outside the lounge was displaying a windows error.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
BA Terminal 5 Galleries First A Gates

- Access rules for QF FFs flying that day: Access for First customers and WP on OneWorld flights, obviously T5 is only BA, however First passengers are generally invited to the Concorde Room.

- Facilities. Dining area offering a range of 3 courses off a menu, with waiter service with impeccable food, however Qantas First SYD still trumps. Also food stations throughout as well as wine bars. Expansive space and very nice terrace bar overlooking the terminal. From 6PM until our flight at 11PM the lounge was virtually empty. Elemis Travel Spa shared by Galleries club so always difficult to get a booking. The lounge has separate shower facilities within in, I believe 2 for each sex.

- Good and bad features - the fact that that most First revenue passengers go to the Concorde room really make this a quiet and comfortable lounge. Essentially older couples and a few affluent young people. No flights are called and the lack of monitors means having to constantly get up to check whether you're boarding.

- Misc. - Great view, nice use of the space though I noticed the majority of the staff were using the facilities including taking non-alcoholic drinks, having meetings in the dining areas and using the pcs. Possibly because it was so quiet. It did irk me that I had to wait 15 mins to get noticed by staff when dining as they chose to ignore me to chat in the kitchen.

I would recommend using the A First Lounge as our flight ended up departing from the B terminal and this was only a 7 min commute. On the way back through T5 we had a short connection so were in the B lounge which is a Galleries club without a separate First lounge. Smaller lounge, and no waiter service dining though the food on offer was good.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:33 am

RJ Crown Lounge AMM

- Access rules for QF FFs flying that day: Access for Crown class passengers, and SG and WP.

- Facilities. Some food, mostly pre-prepared with drinks in fridges. There is an unmanned bar, so unless you stand for a good 10-15 minutes, you won't be served alcohol. Lounge does offer rooms for sleeping at US$50 and showers for US$15. Personally I take issue with being charged to use a shower which one expects at an international lounge. Also has a smoking room (ugh), and games room for children which I used to make some Skype calls because it was empty.

- Good and bad features - The have large tvs for individual viewers that come with headphones on an angle so it's semi-private. Finding a powerpoint is near impossible for charging laptops, how could they miss this feature? I believe there were 4 powerpoints around the perimeter of the room.

- Misc. - A very busy lounge, which despite the website, I don't believe could accommodate 340 passengers. Traffic seems to arrive and depart rather quickly.

More info at http://www.rj.com/en/tabid/370/local...S/default.aspx
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:44 pm

BA Terminal 7 First Lounge JFK

- Access rules for QF FFs flying that day: Access for First customers and WP on OneWorld flights.

- Facilities. Situated next door to the dated Terraces lounge I was amazed by how small the First lounge is. A few armchairs and sofas, I would estimate seating for a maximum of 35 people. Offers tea/coffee pre-prepared sandwiches and cookies.

- Good and bad features - the entire lounge is woeful. My recommendation would be to use the adjacent Terraces lounge which is larger and houses the Elemis Travel spa.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
fullthrust, I flew QF64 on Easter Monday. The BA Galleries Lounge opened about 3pm but the F side not until about 4pm/4.30pm. It's a perfectly nice lounge although on that day their ice hadn't been delivered!

However, when I checked in for the flight I was given an invitation to the Shongololo Lounge. This is also a nice lounge and is shared by a number of airlines.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
BA Terminal 7 First Lounge JFK

...I was amazed by how small the First lounge is. A few armchairs and sofas, ... - the entire lounge is woeful. ...
Again because the real F lounge is the Concorde Room at JFK so no BA F pax use this shameful First lounge. CX and QF do, however (CX provides a meal voucher to the J dining room to compensate for the poor food selection, while QF does not). As stated the J lounge -- which BA does use for its J pax -- is substantially nicer than the F lounge at JFK.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Can you clarify which terminal this is referring to? I flew out of CAI last week from Terminal 1 and there was no separate F lounge, rather there was a French, English and VIP lounge - essentially different small rooms. The refused to open the English lounge when I asked, and there were people smoking in the other areas so I asked them again and they did. It was a typical Arab salon (living room), i.e. couches, one large tv with waiter service with basic croissants, sandwiches and coffees. I chose to head over Starbucks and come back.
My post was from 5 years ago m0hamed, and have not flown out of Cairo since, so I am not the best person to ask but I'm guessing that my old post is now out of date and what you have posted is the situ. there now! But I may be wrong.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
An update to Jakarta.
QF members have the ability to use two lounges at CGK (although only one entry as voucher is needed and confiscated).
Both lounges are located at the end of the hallway going to Pier D.
Premier to the left, Executive straight ahead (both have signs saying First and Business), and a Singapore lounge to the right.

Chatted to the friendly SQ rep who recommended the lounge to the left.

CGK - Jakarta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lounge name and type – Jakarta - Premier Lounge (left lounge at end of Pier D hallway)

Access rules - By invitation if you are in Business Class, or hold Qantas Club status (or equivalent OneWorld Status). A privately operated lounge, you must get an invitation card from the check-in agent to use this lounge.
Check-in for QF42 opened about 1715 (3.5hrs early).

Facilities – J/F lounge : A shared lounge for a number of carriers. Reasonably sized lounge with a variety of sections inlcuding lounges, tables, workstations (with multi-power points), tv section and smoking room. Somewhat run-down looking but reasonable fora private lounge. OK selection of food including two soups, hot selection of five or six dishes (topped up and changed continuously), small wrapped bread snacks (both veg and meat) and some cakes. Small bar with limited choice (Anker Beer, Gin, Whiskey, softdrinks)

Good and bad features – Not particuarly crowded, average bathroom facilities. Didn't see a shower, although not looking. Also small room to the side offering foot massage/ reflexology for IDR60k for 30min

----------

Note also CGK uses a departure pen. Boarding time on card is 90min before departure - do not follow this or you will be in a tiny holding area. Leave the lounge 35min before and you will be fine.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
Again because the real F lounge is the Concorde Room at JFK so no BA F pax use this shameful First lounge. CX and QF do, however (CX provides a meal voucher to the J dining room to compensate for the poor food selection, while QF does not). As stated the J lounge -- which BA does use for its J pax -- is substantially nicer than the F lounge at JFK.
Very much agree. As a WP flying on BA I was able to use the J dining room without a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.