Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The (QF FF/QP) OW Lounge Info. Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.

I have noticed that there are a million Threads on the Forum dealing with/asking about lounge facilities options (and access rules) for QF SGs, WPs and QP Members when flying on OW partners/flying where there are no QF ones/etc. I thus thought it might be an idea to have a Thread as a one-stop-shop for this, where specific info. could be posted on each lounge, access rules, facilities etc.

I have been in a number of them recently so thought I would kick off with a few. I have obviously been to many many others over the years but will only post here recent experiences to ensure accuracy of info.

So much has been written about the CX Wing and Pier in HKG that I won’t bother here – but most of us agree that it is the standard by which all others are judged – or about the T4 LHR lounge (Concorde Room, F and Y spaces and the MB Spa) for same reasons, but if you wanna post about either of course feel free.

Can I suggest that posts are formulated as follows, using the following categories for uniformity and to ensure specific and useful info is posted -

- Lounge name and type (Business, First, combined, generic Airport lounge, etc; Domestic or International)

- Access rules for QF FFs flying that day (e.g. no access in BA Lounge Paris unless flying Club Europe). – ‘Standard access rules’ denotes access for SGs and WPs, and QC members where relevant when traveling same day on airline in question.

- Facilities. Showers etc ? Food, drink ? Seating options/areas ? Computers/internet access ? WiFi ? etc, etc.

Any reference by BA lounges to ‘standard Terraces Lounge facilities’, or something like that, means you can expect this and the associated facilities - http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb - though they vary dependent on size of lounge etc.

- Good and bad features - Anything you think should be added in this regard, in your opinion of course.

- Misc. - Opening time restrictions, do they call flights or not, is there a good view, how full does it get, are staff helpful, any other info you feel you wanna mention, links to relevant websites.

Any photos would of course be great too !

If you disagree with my or another person’s report/post, then of course post your own ! ^

Lounges thus far reviewed in the Thread :-

BA MAN (UK) * AA DFW (Dallas, TX) * CX TPE (Taiwan)
BA CDG (Paris) * BA LGW North Terminal (UK) * UPDATE BA EDI (Edinburgh)
BA NCL (Newcastle) * BA CPH (Denmark) * BA LHR T1 (Int.)
CGK Jakarta * BA LHR T4 - Arrivals * CAI (Egypt) Generic F lounge
IB Rome (Italy) Lounge * IB LHR T2 (UK) * KBP (Kiev) Business Lounge
UPDATE BA CDG T2B * BA AMS (Holland) * Tokyo NRT T1 - BA * BA BRU (New lounge concept - inc. photos) * New MAD T4 IB lounges : Velazquez * MUC Delta Crown Room (T1 B) * TIP (Tripoli) Rehab Lounge * Finnair Stockholm ARN * AA BOS (Logan), Domestic AA AC * QF QC / AA AC, HNL

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Sep 21, 2006 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

BA MAN (Int.)

Lounge name and type – BA Terraces lounge, Manchester Int. Airport (combined [no separate F lounge], for both domestic and international).

Access rules for QF FFs – Standard access rules.

Facilities. Lovely lounge in the form of a circular level one floor up, around a space in the centre looking down on the rest of terminal, with huge windows looking out onto the runway etc. Little showers suite with towels, razor, deodorant etc provided (a mini version of what you get at the bigger lounges), an area to relax with full length beach type loungers, TV area, some toys for kids, etc, etc. Very much ‘BA Terraces’ in its style.

Food + Drink – Full Terraces lounge options (Selection of fresh sandwiches, fresh baked goods, etc), various beers, wines, cans of soft drinks and large array of nibbles, etc, etc, etc.

Misc. – Lounge caters for a multiple flight options, including BA UK and European flights, BA's flight to JFK, AA's flights to ORD/MIA/BOS etc, etc.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 15, 2005 at 8:45 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

IB MAD (Int.)

New lounge - see post 42

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Sep 4, 2006 at 11:37 am
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

AA DFW (Dallas, TX)

Lounge name and type - AA Dallas Fort Worth, Domestic lounge, Terminal C [http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...ortWorth.jhtml, inc. details of Terminal A and B lounges].

Access rules - Standard access rules.

Facilities – Most unusually for a US/AA lounge, this is a lovely facility. Big, modern, very stylishly decorated etc, separate business centre area (that you have to pay extra to use ?), some computers, multiple refreshment areas (though only nibbles provided of course !), bar, TV areas, etc, etc.

Only AA lounge (any US domestic lounge, period) I have been in that resembles an Oz domestic QP in terms of size, computer room, modern nature of furnishings etc… though without the free food and booze of course !

Good and bad features – Is a haven compared to most other AA lounges !!!

Misc. – They are making a big thing at the moment of letting in for free US serviceman on the way to/coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan (Texas has a huge presence of US Armed Forces), so don’t be surprised if you see a few in there in uniform.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 15, 2005 at 8:55 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

CX TPE (Taiwan)

See (differing) opinions from this Forum of it here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=TPE+lounge

Lounge name and type – Cathay Pacific, Taipei, Taiwan.

Facilities. F Lounge : Small facility at end of J lounge. Noodle Bar (in J area), computers, leather seats etc, TV. Drinks and some food, but all main food options back in J lounge area. Toilets etc back in J area too.

J lounge : Bigger than F lounge but still quite small. Noodle Bar, food and drinks bar (inc. CX’s non-alco. cocktail things, etc), computers, limited seating. Very nice toilet facilities (seriously).

Good and bad features - When I was there it was the busiest lounge I have ever seen, more like a bus station than an airport lounge. Place seemed to me far far too small for the amount of people who use it.

No controls at F lounge door. Anyone in J lounge can just walk in and out.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 15, 2005 at 8:44 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

BA CDG (Paris)

See recent debate on this Forum (on access issues etc) here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=paris+lounge and here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=Paris+lounge .

Lounge name and type - BA lounge, Paris CDG Terminal 2B.

Access rules – QF FFs do not have the right of access unless flying in BA J that day. They will sometimes let you in if they feel like it, but have every right it seems to refuse a WP flying in BA Y (for e.g..) lounge access. This is all, officially, because it is a ‘Third Party Operated Lounge’ (AF).

Facilities. Poor. Place is tiny, a mess, jam packed normally, horrid toilets downstairs, uncomfy seating and limited food and drink options. But then whole terminal is horrid, so much better than the regular terminal at least !

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 15, 2005 at 8:48 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

BA LGW (North Terminal)

Lounge name and type - BA Gatwick North Terminal lounges, Terraces J and F lounges, both/joint Int. and Domestic.

Access rules - Standard access rules. As are International lounges WPs can enter F lounge even when flying UK domestic.

Facilities – J lounge : Standard (big) Terraces Lounge facilities, very spacious, over two floors, loads of food and drink options, plus ‘Toy Box’ (selection of toys).

F lounge : Small, in single room, but very nice space on top floor, with BA F lounge décor. Fresh food menu, waiter service, bar and food options, loads of champers.

Full shower facilities with toiletries etc plus towels, for J and F lounge users.

Misc. – They do not call flights in this lounge, you have to check the boards.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 15, 2005 at 8:44 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

(UPDATED) BA EDI (Edinburgh)

Lounge name and type - BA Terraces Lounge, Edinburgh (no F lounge).

Facilities – Small but very comfy little Terrace lounge. Basically one room in a few sections, with full food and drink options, a few seating areas, TV area, 2 computers, mini library etc.

(Ta to The_Banking_Scot) Now no smoking lounge (due to the scottish executive's ban on smoking in public places) - what was the smoking lounge is now used as a storage area.

And now two additonal seating areas beside the main concourse.

Bad features – Can get very full, as is small despite frequency of flights. Toilets are public ones you have to leave the lounge to use. No luggage holding spaces/area. No showers.

Misc. – I almost always see someone famous/well known/a British politician etc when in the lounge… and then often sit next to them on the flight to London !!!

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Sep 20, 2006 at 5:13 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

BA NCL (Newcastle)

Lounge name and type – BA Newcastle Terraces Lounge (no F lounge)

Facilities - Surprisingly lovely little lounge, in standard Terraces style but really nicely done. Full food and drink options, seating options including ‘lounger’/long beach chair like seats, nice little library, etc.

No showers however.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 15, 2005 at 8:42 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

BA CPH (Denmark)

Lounge name and type - BA Copenhagen Terraces lounge (no F lounge)

Access rules – Standard access rules.

Facilities – Small but smart lounge, with table and chairs area at front by TV with sofa area at back, then the toilets. Limited food and alco. drink options.

Bad features - No showers or computers, limited food options.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Aug 1, 2006 at 11:35 am
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

BA LHR T1 (Int.)

Lounge name and type – BA Heathrow T1, International Terraces J and F lounges.

Access rules - Standard access rules

Facilities – J lounge : Big-ish Terraces lounge with all the features. Bit hectic, often very full, quite noisy I find. A few computer terminals but lots of people trying to use them. Full food and drink options.

F lounge : Stunning. Vastly better than the LHR T4 F lounge (as good, I would say, as the Concorde Room) and the LGW F lounge, with a lovely Champers Bar, large buffet area, computers, dining area, etc, etc. Moulton Brown Spa facilities plus the shower facilities just outside the lounge in reception area.

Good and bad features – J (Terraces) not my favorite, F lounge my favorite !
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
CGK - Jakarta

Lounge name and type – Jakarta - Jaea Angkaea Semeeta, JAS Executive Lounge

Access rules - By invitation if you are in Business Class, or hold Qantas Club status (or equivalent OneWorld Status). An privately operated lounge, you must get an invitation card from the check-in agent to use this lounge.

Facilities – J lounge : A shared lounge for a number of carriers (used by both QF and CX when flying with them). reasonably sized lounge, somewhat run-down looking, but with some large screen TV's, a decent selection of snacks and drinks. A couple of internet terminals hidden away as well, not particuarly speedy, but they work.

Good and bad features – Not particuarly crowded (then again that goes for pretty much all of CGK airside at the INT terminal). Downside is the toilets - basically as shabby as those in the public areas airside, and wouldn't be rushing to take a shower there either.

Last edited by GibSpmuh; Nov 16, 2005 at 10:19 pm Reason: Updating access rules
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Nice thread; pity there does not appear to be a FT lounge section covering all worldwide lounges.

All but one or two threads would be locked and maintained by moderators with the open threads for updates.
e.g.
Code:
Airline Lounges: Consortium Based
\
 \__OneWORLD
  |         \
  |          \__Europe
  |           |
  |           __North America
  |           |
  |           __Asia
  |           |
  |           __South West Pacific
  |           |
  |           __Africa
  |           | 
  |           __South America
  |
  __Star Alliance  |  
  |          \__Europe
  |           |
  |           |
  |           __Asia
  |           |
  |           __South West Pacific
  |           |
  |           __Africa
  |           | 
  |           __South America
  __Skyteam
  |          \__Europe
  |           |
  |           |
etc.
Code:
Airline Lounges: Region Based
\
 \__Europe__
  |         \
  |          \__OneWORLD
  |           |
  |           __Star Alliance
  |           |
  |           __Skyteam
  |          
  |
  __N. America    
  |          \__OneWORLD
  |           |
  |           |
  |           __Skyteam
  |
  __Asia_____
  |          \__OneWORLD
  |           |
  |           |
  |           __Skyteam
 |           |
etc.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 15, 2005 at 11:47 pm Reason: (I'll edit these out later)
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Nice idea serfty, agree entirely that it is amazing no such thing has been done on FT yet.

And thanks for playing GibSpmuh, have not made it to Jakarta yet so very good to know... more reports please !!!

I will add a list to the OP btw so that it can be seen easily which lounges have been reviewed and which have not.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Lounges forum...

I actually posted a suggestion in ORP, which was shunted across to TalkBoard Topics, regarding creating a seperate Lounges forum. It started off with some negative vibes, but finished off with some overwhelmingly positive thoughts in favour of it. Then it was forgotten.

Seems like serfty's suggestion would be ideal stickies in such a forum.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.