Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF/BA RTW from $A1999 **INCLUDING** taxes with $200 land credit too.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF/BA RTW from $A1999 **INCLUDING** taxes with $200 land credit too.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Both the QF and BA promos were on photocopied sheets. The BA clearly stating $1999 (taking up about 1/2 the page).

The difference with these fares was the $200 land credit. The agent I sat down with didn't even know of the fare offer (even though the QF one was in the window). She was amazed at the low cost incl. taxes. She was even more amazed at the BA deal being valid for an extra two months.

Anyways - she said b/c of the $200 credit - it was treated as a 'package' deal (not sure if she mentioned the fare was similar to an IT component - I might have imagined that).

Regards

WG
another reason to totally ditch travel agents and have everything bookable online.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:39 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by d00t
another reason to totally ditch travel agents and have everything bookable online.
Wrong thread ...

Oops, sorry this is the wrong thread to be adding this bit of OT direction .
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:48 am

Maximum number of SC earned

Hi,

I'm new. I'm currently with QFF. I was taking of think up this offer. I don't have any specific itinerary. Ideally, I would like to go via Asia to London and perhaps America back.

I was wondering if anyone have suggestions as to the best routing so that I can maximise the number of Status Credits earned for my QFF.

Andrew
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:57 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Talking Welcome to Flyertalk Andrew...

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Flyertalk. I'd better leave your question for the Status Credit experts *serfty*, NM, thadocta, QF WP, Dave Noble (Um sorry if I missed anyone else ) They're also experts when it comes to anything else QF related.

Cheers
David
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by andrew_lee
Hi,

I'm new. I'm currently with QFF. I was taking of think up this offer. I don't have any specific itinerary. Ideally, I would like to go via Asia to London and perhaps America back.

I was wondering if anyone have suggestions as to the best routing so that I can maximise the number of Status Credits earned for my QFF.
It is getting really complicated now, with the addition of "per sector" fuel surcharges - do you take the extra sector to get the extra miles and SC's and thus pay the estra fuel surcharge? Or do you avoid the extra sector, thereby saving the fuel surcharge and miss out on the miles and SC's?

(I wonder if this is a sheaky - thanks 8 :-: dsn for that word - way of making us take direct routings?)

WHat is important to you? Maximising status, or saving money?

If it was me, I would be looking at where I currently was. *IF* I was 20 SC's short of requalifying for Gold, I would do the extra sector and pay the extra fuel surcharge, since it would save my paid QP membership from being made active.

*IF* I had already requalified for Gold, I might be looking at saving the $$$$ and going a more direct route.

YMMV.

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by thadocta
It is getting really complicated now, with the addition of "per sector" fuel surcharges - do you take the extra sector to get the extra miles and SC's and thus pay the estra fuel surcharge? Or do you avoid the extra sector, thereby saving the fuel surcharge and miss out on the miles and SC's?

(I wonder if this is a sheaky - thanks 8 :-: dsn for that word - way of making us take direct routings?)

WHat is important to you? Maximising status, or saving money?

If it was me, I would be looking at where I currently was. *IF* I was 20 SC's short of requalifying for Gold, I would do the extra sector and pay the extra fuel surcharge, since it would save my paid QP membership from being made active.

*IF* I had already requalified for Gold, I might be looking at saving the $$$$ and going a more direct route.

YMMV.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind paying the additional charges. I just want to know what is the maximum number of status credits I can earn for this trip with the 2 stops each way.

Andrew
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If this is a published fare basis and can be issued on other airlines ticket stock, then I would consider going to AA and booking through them. It works v nicely for ATW tickets for keeping the taxes to a sane level

Any time

Personally, I would be more interested in finding locations that I wanted to visit rather than just trying to get SCs

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Personally, I would be more interested in finding locations that I wanted to visit rather than just trying to get SCs
Of course, goes without saying. But I have been known to do SYD-MEL-SIN-LHR rather than SYD-LHR, to get 75 SC's rather than 60, only took me about three hours longer, and got the extra 15 SC's.

I won't go out of my way to get SC's, but if I can extend the sectors, I will do it.

this is of course before the days of sector based fuel surcharges, so I have to go away and rethink the whole thing through.....

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
This fare is a BIG Downer

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I just got quoted $A675 taxes and fees by LH on an OZ-USA-Euruoe trip I do in a month, so the "INCLUDING" taxes part of this offer is worth more than many might imagine these days.

-------------------------------------

Experience the World for less with British Airways.

For a limited time, Qantas and British Airways are offering around-the-world economy airfares ex Australia from just $1,999 including taxes.

When you take advantage of this special fare, you will have access to the combined Qantas and British Airways global network, giving you the option to stopover in some of the world's most exciting cities; from New York, Shanghai, Johannesburg, San Francisco, London, Bangkok and Mumbai to Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore or Frankfurt. In addition, you will have access to British Airways' unrivalled European network.

Up to five stops are permitted on this fantastic airfare, and prices will vary due to surcharges, fees and taxes.

This fare is available for departures between 26 September and 2 December 2005 and 19 January and 30 April 2006 and must be booked by 11 October 2005. Other sale prices are available and terms and conditions apply.

Don't miss out on this great offer. To book, or for further information contact British Airways on 1300 362 675 or Qantas on 13 13 13 or contact your local travel agent.

With this airfare you can also take advantage of a $200 land credit towards hotel and car hire at any stopover point. For more information on this offer, contact Qantas Holidays on 13 14 15 or speak to your local travel agent. The credit offer must be booked and ticketed by 11 October 2005.

Terms and conditions:

- The Qantas and British Airways airfares are available for departures from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Cairns and Darwin.

- Fares are subject to availability and conditions apply.

- Airfare and $200 land credit must be booked by 11 October 2005.

- Price quoted is based on an itinerary Sydney, Los Angeles, London, Bangkok and Sydney.

- An additional 1% credit card service fee will be applied to the dollar amount paid by credit or charge card when booking through Qantas Holidays.

- An additional $40 more for each customer booked via Qantas Telephone Sales, Qantas Travel outlets and Qantas Airport locations. AU$10 more for each flight booked with some travel agents.
Well - Qantas got back to me this morning and the fare is really a 'non-fare' for all intents and purposes.

I wanted the following itinerary MEL-LAX-own arrangements-JKF-LHR-BUD-LHR-MEL, the price for April?

$1956 + 563 taxes!

The agent told me the $1999 (on reading her printed brochure) was based on travel via SIN in EACH direction, and applied to travel to FRA on the European network. Anything else you pay $$$ extra.

She told me the catch was the word 'from' in the offer.

Now there is another deal marketed by QF (not sold / marketed by BA) but this is valid only until 26 Feb as I mentioned earlier, and that is booked in 'O' class.

As for the 'buy two seats' from my other thread, on this special BA '1999' fare, the absolute BASE price was quoted at $1799, then you add the $200 (which you get back in accomm, go figure), giving a price of $1999, but this was NOT including Budapest on the European network, just a plain MEL-LAX-JFK-LHR-MEL fare.

As for upgrading the $1999 fare to WT+ - no dice. The fare is not upgreadable on a segment basis.

So the best option? 29,000 milage fare (currently on bestflights.com) for AUD2895 plus taxes (going by my example they would be about $563).

Advantages of the 2859 fare? 6 stops in the US (so I wouldn't need to pay for own arrangements LAX-JFK) + can use any O/W carrier + plus can upgrade BA segements to WT+ (USD450 for through flight Aust to Europe, and USD300 for all other sectors) + booked in a higher class so much more availability + if you need to cancel, only lose a % of the fare, not the whole thing like the 1999 deal.

Anyways - that was the scoop - a great deal for 1999 if you really just want there and back.

Regards
WG
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:13 am

Advantages of the 2859 fare? 6 stops in the US (so I wouldn't need to pay for own arrangements LAX-JFK) + can use any O/W carrier + plus can upgrade BA segements to WT+ (USD450 for through flight Aust to Europe, and USD300 for all other sectors) + booked in a higher class so much more availability + if you need to cancel, only lose a % of the fare, not the whole thing like the 1999 deal.
This sounds like the One World Explorer fare. If you are booking this then book it direct with the AA ATW desk; you will end up better off than booking via most agents

The upgrade cost for tickets issued in AUD is AUD600/900 rather than USD300/450 which applies to all other locations ( other than NZ who pay the NZD equivalent to the AUD amount )

It isn't 6 stops in the US, it is a max of 7 sectors in the US which is different

AUD1999 isnt that good for an off peak out n back ticket

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This sounds like the One World Explorer fare. If you are booking this then book it direct with the AA ATW desk; you will end up better off than booking via most agents

The upgrade cost for tickets issued in AUD is AUD600/900 rather than USD300/450 which applies to all other locations ( other than NZ who pay the NZD equivalent to the AUD amount )

It isn't 6 stops in the US, it is a max of 7 sectors in the US which is different

AUD1999 isnt that good for an off peak out n back ticket

Dave
Yeah sorry - it's the Global Explorer - I couldn't think of the name when I was having my rant above! (prices out better than the Oneworld Explorer for my itinerary)

As for the stops - I meant 6 sectors (not stops) - with the added restriction of a limit of three stopovers in any one region.
WG
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:29 am

Yeah sorry - it's the Global Explorer - I couldn't think of the name when I was having my rant above! (prices out better than the Oneworld Explorer for my itinerary)

As for the stops - I meant 6 sectors (not stops) - with the added restriction of a limit of three stopovers in any one region.
WG
If just travelling through 4 continents, the One World Explorer is a better choice than the Global Explorer imo

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:52 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
The problem may be fitting the itinarary into 29,000 miles, especially if you want max USA stopovers. Remember that with Golbal Explorer, all surface segments are included in the mileage.

Also note that with Global Explorer 29,000 mile fare, you have a minimum of 3 stopovers and a maximum of 10 stopovers, with no more than 3 stopovers in any one region. So you can't get 6 stopovers in North America, only 3. The 34,000km fare has a max of 15 stopovers with up to 4 in each region.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NM
The problem may be fitting the itinarary into 29,000 miles, especially if you want max USA stopovers. Remember that with Golbal Explorer, all surface segments are included in the mileage.
My routing:

MEL-LHR-BUD-LHR-TPA-xDFW-SDF-xDFW-xIAH-LAS (surface between IAH and LAS but count mileage) -LAX-MEL 28767 miles (plus doing a couple of YUPs in there - I aint counting on the eco travel for TCs!). On the 1999 fare I would have had to have bought the domestic US sectors.

BTW - have they not recalculated the exchange rates with the US dollar yet? 450 conversion to AUD900 is a bit mean!

WG
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:38 am

My routing:

MEL-LHR-BUD-LHR-TPA-xDFW-SDF-xDFW-xIAH-LAS (surface between IAH and LAS but count mileage) -LAX-MEL 28767 miles (plus doing a couple of YUPs in there - I aint counting on the eco travel for TCs!). On the 1999 fare I would have had to have bought the domestic US sectors.

BTW - have they not recalculated the exchange rates with the US dollar yet? 450 conversion to AUD900 is a bit mean!

WG
It isn't nicely based on exchange rates per se; for some reason best known to those that set fares n rules that Australia deserved its own fare definition for upgrades to WT+. Other locations are charged at the local currency at the exchange rate of the day from the USD amount

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.